Thoughts about DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
... when you start diving the doubles and they put you back on your head. :D

It will be the same learning curve all over. Oh, for joy. :D

Swell ... I've got regs, assorted harness parts, wing, and backplate spread out on my living room floor right now ... perhaps I'll just leave it all there for a while ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Uncle Pug:
... when you start diving the doubles and they put you back on your head.
NWGratefulDiver:
Swell ... perhaps I'll just leave it all there for a while ...
Smart man, that Grateful Bob :wink:
I'm really glad it's coming together for you, Bob. Of course, we all knew it would if you stuck it out :D

argh...

must...

dive...

hopefully PST ships my tanks out on tuesday like they said they would...

meanwhile, i'm finishing up Disc 3 of the DVD...

Just finished my course this past weekend up in Vancouver, BC. Sonya and Josh were great. I think I went into this course with the mindset to learn and I'm really happy I took it at the point I did. Only had 50 dives going in, and 4 dives on backplate and wing. Was still trying to get trim even somewhat close at the beginning of the class. By the end I was doing all the drills reasonably well, obviously still need refining, but I honestly feel I'm way better off for having taken this course, and I look forward to diving like this in the future. Can't wait to get out there now and dive, practise, and actually feel like I'm under control in the water.

The biggest thing I got from DIR-F was the skills I've been looking for. It's exactly what it's called, fundamentals. Trim, buoyancy, basic skills while maintaning those two things. This is what I've been striving for since day one, and I'm glad I finally found a course that could stear me in the right direction, and all before I developed a bunch of habits I'd have to unlearn.

I too just finished the course. I did not pass. The first day was a challenge. I too felt that the new rig was dumping me on my head (I adjusted some weight and overcame the problem) . I had many equipment problems (Murphy's Law), including a blown out second stage. I too was very frustrated. Like Bob, I thought I had some skills coming in. I could hover, frog kick, plan my gas etc., share air with the long hose etc. The big difference for me was the level of proficiency with which I could do these things. Fundamentals is about getting the basics down spot on as a foundation for further training. I am a long way from spot on.

In the end I realized that I must be able to share air, deal with my valves, take care of any problem under the worst possible circumstances all while maintaining my boyancy and trim. That takes practice (I imagine for the remainder of my diving life) both to hone those skills and to maintain them.

My immediate reaction was: Why am I doing this? I'm a safe diver, comfortable in the water, fairly skilled. I've gotten out of situations and know how to handle myself underwater. But on the long drive back from Vancouver, I realized that these skills, these tools, will make me a better diver, more comfortable underwater and better able to deal with situations should they arise. GUE/DIR is just another way of training divers (albeit a much better way in my opinion) to enjoy diving and, most importantly, to dive safely.

Bill Ferrell

Bublin'Bill:
I too just finished the course.

Cool! Someone else to practice with ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I felt like leaving DIR-F after the first day. I was ready. But I pushed through it. Sometimes making it through the "hell this sucks I'm ready to quit" moment can really motivate...

Hey Bill, I'm glad to hear at the end you appreciated the course. You had more then your share of equipment issues on the weekend that would throw anybody into a foul mood. I did end up passing the course, and look forward to taking more training through GUE.

Look me up anytime you're in town. I'd be happy to go on a dive and practise some of the drills. I'm going to make this a regular part of my diving, something that hasn't happened since OW and I now realize is incredibly important.

bcsean:
Hey Bill, I'm glad to hear at the end you appreciated the course. You had more then your share of equipment issues on the weekend that would throw anybody into a foul mood. I did end up passing the course, and look forward to taking more training through GUE.

Look me up anytime you're in town. I'd be happy to go on a dive and practise some of the drills. I'm going to make this a regular part of my diving, something that hasn't happened since OW and I now realize is incredibly important.

I figured you passed. You had it down fairly well. I'll drop you a line next time I'm up in BC. The equipment stuff still chaps me a little, but that Murphy's Law. Happy diving.

Bill

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom