Thoughts about DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
For me taking a class and passing it (not the case with DIR-F) does not make me an expert. If I had aced the class, would it have been necessary to take? I think not.

What I took away from this course are a bunch of tools that will help me attain the skills that I desire as long as I practice every time I go diving. Am I further along the learning curve than I was before I took the class? Absolutely.

When I entered the class my skills were strictly rec. While they are not much better two dives later, at least I'm thinking and working on them. For someone like myself, just the gear configuration has it's own learning curve. Clipping everything off is only starting to become second nature. I'm still tweaking the position of my BP and harness. After a year of diving with a hoseless computer, now I have an SPG. I still have to search for the string on the dump valve since my hand does not find it automatically. Diving with hands stretched out in front is new and effects my trim. Muscles in my lower are being used in ways that they have not because now I'm arching. Frog kicking is new. The list goes on and what I'm trying to point out is that there is a big learning curve at first. I suspect that much of this list will shortly become second nature as I practice and get proficient with the skills. In the meantime I'm cutting myself some slack and doing fun dives that incorporate the skills. Tonights dive though will be a skill drill as I want to work on specific issues with a master.

So thanks to those you in this community that have wished me well and understand that we all start at the beginning. To those of you thinking about taking the DIR-F class, I think it will dramatically change your way of diving in many positive ways. Don't expect it to be easy and not without it's challenges.

Just a DIR wannabee...

I think you are approaching this the right way. The Fundamentals weekend is really more of a clinic than a class in many respects. As the instructors say, they can't change the way you dive in a weekend, but they can show you the path to get there. A Fundamentals class is packed with content - from equipment choices, to team awareness, to propulsion techniques, to gas management, to buoyancy and trim, to situational awareness, to stress management. It is a nonstop flood of what are usually new concepts for most divers, even divers with long experience. The intent is to expose people to the content, demonstrate the techniques, and give some feedback through video on students' efforts to apply the lessons. For most people, you have to take what you're given and put in the practice time after the class before you can master it.

One thing I noticed was that I went into the class absolutely fearing the video evidence. I wound up really enjoying watching it. The first time you see yourself on video is really punishing. The second day I couldn't wait to see all the embarassing footage though.

Also I've been doing a lot of diving with GUE trained divers and was still pretty blown away by how useful the class was. I had exposure to most of the classroom stuff already (and even a little bit of stuff not covered in the classroom), but the skills, the video evidence, and the feedback from brando were invaluable.

There's all kinds of stuff dealing with technique that the class will help me out with. To pick one, I'm a lot more aware of what is going on with my feet now when I'm frog kicking. I still don't have it down, but as I'm frog kicking in the water, I'm noticing a lot more of how my legs and ankles are moving and I'm pretty confident that its just a matter of time and practice before I start seeing a lot of improvement. And I don't believe I'd have that level of awareness without seeing the video (brando's great, but I don't think being told by a great instructor what you're doing wrong compares to visually seeing yourself screwing up on video).

I think the thing which I believe I got out of the class which wasn't just an incremental improvement but was a quantum step up, was understanding "Environment, Equipment, Team." Before I knew I really didn't have a clue about it. I could mouthe the words, but they really just weren't hooked up to anything conceptual in my mind. Now I at least understand it (or at least some of it), even though i need lots of practice to start getting it down.

I do think we could have used another day in class. I've got a couple of unanswered questions still -- i'd like to know about GUE/DIR approaches to repetitive and multi-level NDL diving -- i'd also like to know how to more proficiently use the pull dump -- i can find it everytime, but air doesn't always come out like i want it to (and when it does come out it always seems to dump more than i wanted, but i expect control over that will just come with practice...)

If there was anything I could suggest for improvment it is that the class is too short, and that in the beginning of the lecture it gets going slowly since there is a lot of background on the GUE approach. At some points it tickled that same nerve that goes off when vendors give us marketing pitches at work. Maybe its valuable to go over that for other people, but I felt it was pretty well covered in chapter 1 of JJs book and most people probably are already exposed to it, or will have it figured out by the end of the class...

overexposed2X:
Just a DIR wannabee...
You have described pretty much how I felt after my DIRf "clinic." Many, many hours and many, many dives later, I think maybe I'm starting to get the basics squared away. What I try to tell people to expect from the class/clinic/workshop/whatever - it shows you the tools and an introduction to how to use them to become a better diver. It's up to you to practice and master them. Sounds like you have sought out an experienced mentor to help you as well :D

overexposed2X:
So thanks to those you in this community that have wished me well and understand that we all start at the beginning. To those of you thinking about taking the DIR-F class, I think it will dramatically change your way of diving in many positive ways. Don't expect it to be easy and not without it's challenges.
Well put Overexposed2x; the benefits are so very worth the challenges! Just always remember to have fun everyone, as that's what it's really all about. :)

I wish I could join you guys at EUP today! My drysuit neck seal is toast, oex2 and my dive last night was a wetsuit dive for me. :( Oex2, I'm always willing to go diving with you (well, after my drysuit is fixed!). If you're feeling the need, drop me a PM and we can hook up and get wet. Thanks for the dive last night, and have a good time this evening with the Master!

Jimmie

Snowbear:
You have described pretty much how I felt after my DIRf "clinic." Many, many hours and many, many dives later, I think maybe I'm starting to get the basics squared away. What I try to tell people to expect from the class/clinic/workshop/whatever - it shows you the tools and an introduction to how to use them to become a better diver. It's up to you to practice and master them. Sounds like you have sought out an experienced mentor to help you as well :D

And all this from someone who has done Tech1. :D

Just shows how good the program is and how a good diver is always learning and practicing.

Taking the DIR-F course this weekend, can't wait. I kinda fear seeing myself on video as well but think it will be an important step to understanding the areas that need improving.
I had no idea what DIR was 1 year ago, through some good people around me, this board, and a bit of luck I have been exposed to the ideas and philosiphy and hope to be humbled this weekend during the course.

So far for me it's just been frustrating.

The philosophy is great ... having taken the class I now know I've been migrating in that direction for some time anyway.

The actual skills and hardware are another story. After six dives the rig still feels uncomfortable and top heavy. Went out last night with Uncle Pug and OE2X ... and after 26 minutes I was so frustrated at my inability to do even the simple things that I just thumbed the dive and went in. First time in almost a thousand dives I ever felt like that.

I think I'm getting so hung up on trying to "do it right" that I'm forgetting that the whole point is to relax and have fun. I'm going back to my old rig for a while and see if I can find my center again.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OE2X stayed around for several more *dives* and ended up getting *in the zone*...
at least long enough to see what it was like. :D

Gear:
There are reasons for the gear configuration... in the class the reasons were given (hopefully) but hearing those reasons does not make you proficient and comfortable diving the rig. It will take time and practice. But not practice swimming around, or doing valve drills and OOA drills. Something more fundamental needs to come first.

Skills:
The class doesn't teach you the skills... it shows you what skills are needed... and as we saw last night, there is a more basic and underlying skill that needs to be mastered before moving on to the *fundamental* skills.

Bouyancy control and the ability to hover motionless in the water column are pre-requisites. If you can't stay on station with nothing else to do but that then you won't be able to stay on station while preforming tasks such as Air Sharing or Valve Shut-downs.

Now there are reasons for the gear configuration that go beyond recreational diving... so that when you advance to GUE Tech 1 (and beyond) you don't have to start over with a new configuration. So learning to hover and stay on station using the DIR gear configuration is the elemental part of the equation.

I know it is tempting to go back to the old and comfortable way of doing things... but my advice is that you continue working towards comfort with the new way of doing things.

Like the opening post said:
"Don't expect it to be easy and not without it's challenges."

NWGratefulDiver:
So far for me it's just been frustrating.

I think I'm getting so hung up on trying to "do it right" that I'm forgetting that the whole point is to relax and have fun. I'm going back to my old rig for a while and see if I can find my center again.
I think you should listen to Pug and don't give up yet.

Of course it's frustrating to be taken out of the comfort zone you've been in for most of your 1000 dives! You said somewhere that you have a few bad habits that are pretty much unconscious by now. Those will get in the way for a while, but as you relax and find your new comfort zone in your new rig, you'll find out diving (and teaching, most likely) will be more fun than you realized.

Remember how upset I was when I took DIRf? You kept saying I was a good diver and shouldn't be having any problems. Well guess what - the video doesn't lie :wink: It does take a little effort to re-find your comfort zone in the new gear, but if I can do it with those HP120's that are determined to tip me on my head, you should be able to as well.

I think you nailed it when you said "I'm forgetting that the whole point is to relax and have fun." You may find that if you approach your re-education with an attitude of relaxation instead of work, it will come easier. One thing I did when I was practicing this last winter in Smitty's Cove was take breaks - When I would start feeling frustrated, I would just swim around for about 10 minutes and try to think of something besides whatever "skill" I was having trouble with. If you're frustrated and keep working on it, you will just get more frustrated. If you are frustrated and quit, it will be much harder to try again later.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom