Thoughts about DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be taking the class this weekend with sharkmasterbc and 4 other lucky people. I've only dove my new singles rig 4 times and it's not dialed by any means.

I'm really looking forward to the instruction and help to become a better diver. I'm already starting to see a lot of benefits to the style of diving and gear configuration associated. I'm pretty open to having my diving disected on video cause I've been striving to be better since day 1 anyway. This is just another tool to get there.

Uncle Pug:
Skills:
The class doesn't teach you the skills... it shows you what skills are needed... and as we saw last night, there are more basic underlying skills that need to be mastered before moving on to the *fundamental* skills.
Snowbear:
You said somewhere that you have a few bad habits that are pretty much unconscious by now.
These two phrases reminded me of something explained/defined during a soccer coaching clinic I participated in a few years back:

"Motor Skill" - an action that is consciously learned and unconsciously executed

This seems to be at the heart of a lot of the DIR-F discussion and diving in general when it comes to familiarity with your equipment (which includes "listening to your ears" for depth changes).

Thanks for reminding me,

-Rob

Full Disclosure: I'm certainly not DIR, but I'm learing from the many discussions (debates?) on skills and equipment on this board.

I'm not giving up ... I'm trying to find a starting point. Remember ... my old rig is still a backplate/harness, just not one that's DIR sanctioned. I'm not trying to blame my poor performance on the rig, but I just don't think it's very balanced. You can't learn anything if you're fighting your gear.

Last night was nothing but practice ... max depth 15 fsw. After a few poor attempts at basic drills, we just tried hovering. That's a skill I know pretty well ... in my old rig I can hover easily. In this one, as soon as I stop moving my head goes toward the sand and my feet toward the surface. Extending my legs didn't do squat. Getting my head up didn't do squat. The only way to stop being inverted was to fin.

During the class I could see in the video that my tank is too high ... by several inches. But the STA is in the lowest position, and the top tank strap is on the crown. I can't move the tank any lower. All my weight is in my belt ... I can't move that any lower.

Going back to my old plate resolves that problem ... the STA is designed to fit that plate.

Once I resolve my gear to the point where I can hover without doing a headstand, then I can start focusing on the skills.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just realize that this class will not give you skills... it will only show you what skills there are to gain.

Those who expect to do well will be frustrated... and as OE2X asked rhetorically and then answered:
"If I had aced the class, would it have been necessary to take? I think not."

Expect rather to be shown your deficiencies. I've known more than one *very good diver* who felt so discouraged after taking the DIRf (and seeing the video) that they withdrew completely.

I had been diving not only for a long time but had lots of dives under my weight belt when I took a DIR prep class from Andrew to get ready for Tech 1. I found out that I was not a good diver at all... I was just a well practiced bad diver. :D A year later Shane and I thought we were ready for Tech 1 and Andrew allowed us to demonstrate just how bad a diver I still was... at least where the bar was for that level. :D

OE2X was having the same problem you were... head to the sand and feet in the air. Eventually he found the *sweet spot* and was able to hover horizontally without using his fins or hands.

The only way to stop being inverted was to fin.

Actually it is the finning motion with toes pointed up that was causing you guys to go head down.

Uncle Pug:
Just realize that this class will not give you skills... it will only show you what skills there are to gain.

Those who expect to do well will be frustrated... and as OE2X asked rhetorically and then answered:
"If I had aced the class, would it have been necessary to take? I think not."

Expect rather to be shown your deficiencies. I've known more than one *very good diver* who felt so discouraged after taking the DIRf (and seeing the video) that they withdrew completely.

I had been diving not only for a long time but had lots of dives under my weight belt when I took a DIR prep class from Andrew to get ready for Tech 1. I found out that I was not a good diver at all... I was just a well practiced bad diver. :D A year later Shane and I thought we were ready for Tech 1 and Andrew allowed us to demonstrate just how bad a diver I still was... at least where the bar was for that level. :D

Good to see you've improved a bit :D (now he out there helping us Do It Right) Thanks for your efforts Pug.

NWGratefulDiver:
During the class I could see in the video that my tank is too high ... by several inches. But the STA is in the lowest position, and the top tank strap is on the crown. I can't move the tank any lower. All my weight is in my belt ... I can't move that any lower.

Going back to my old plate resolves that problem ... the STA is designed to fit that plate.
Bob,

I don't know what backpalate and wing you are using, so maybe I'm off base here, but how about trying the rig without the STA? An STA can lift your tank up off your backplate an inch or two, but if you can get by without it, you can get the tank closer to your back, and thereby closer to your center of gravity. That might make it easier to balance your rig in the water.

NWGratefulDiver:
So far for me it's just been frustrating.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know where you're coming from. I took DIR-f about six weeks ago from Dave Sweetin and Tyler Moon here in the Houston area.
Going in I really tried to take the attitude that everyone seems to preach here about an open mind and starting from "scratch".
Yes, I was even worse than I thought I would be, but instead of some renewed drive to become a better diver, I've just really lost all interest in the sport.
When I summarize the class to non-DIR friends(as it was summarized to me by TM & DS), it's that I was very comfortable underwater, I'm a safe recreational diver that has all the skills necessary to dive the way I've been diving for several years now.
So why try and move toward a different way of diving when for ME it only frustrates and supresses my interest?
Don't get me wrong, Dave and Tyler are obviously great divers. I think if I wanted to move on to technical or overhead environments I would certainly make DIR a necessity.
But to continue the type of diving that I've enjoyed in the past and that I intend to pursue in the future, my initial "formal" DIR exposure is that it's not for me.

Well Bob's frustration was momentary and he pressed on... today he and OE2X did a half hour dive just hovering (and did quite well in the trim department) concluded by an OOA drill with air sharing ascent which they did excellently in a nice slow controlled manner.

Persistence pays dividends... and while you might be just fine diving recreationally the way you always have... knowing that you can make a nice controlled ascent while airsharing is a great feeling.

BradJ:
I know where you're coming from. I took DIR-f about six weeks ago from Dave Sweetin and Tyler Moon here in the Houston area.
Going in I really tried to take the attitude that everyone seems to preach here about an open mind and starting from "scratch".
Yes, I was even worse than I thought I would be, but instead of some renewed drive to become a better diver, I've just really lost all interest in the sport.
When I summarize the class to non-DIR friends(as it was summarized to me by TM & DS), it's that I was very comfortable underwater, I'm a safe recreational diver that has all the skills necessary to dive the way I've been diving for several years now.
So why try and move toward a different way of diving when for ME it only frustrates and supresses my interest?
Don't get me wrong, Dave and Tyler are obviously great divers. I think if I wanted to move on to technical or overhead environments I would certainly make DIR a necessity.
But to continue the type of diving that I've enjoyed in the past and that I intend to pursue in the future, my initial "formal" DIR exposure is that it's not for me.
Brad,
I completely understand how you feel. For the longest time I felt that as a good rec. diver that it was all I needed. I think the decision to take or not to take the DIR path or for that matter any further education is strictly up to the individual. DIR isn't for you? No worries. If you dive by the basic tenants of safety first and fun second then you will likely do just fine. If you forgo the safety and push beyond your comfort zone that could get you and your buddy into deep trouble. If you push beyond the fun zone, then, as happened to you, may leave the sport. Either one is most unfortunate. These tenants are true no matter what path you choose.
Personally I've gotten into DIR because my young son wants to learn how to dive. When he is ready, I want to be a very skilled buddy that he (and my wife) can have faith in. For me - I've determined that DIR is the best way to achieve this goal. That and I like new challenges as well... This is my personal path and it is by no means better than anyone elses, especially yours. Have fun, enjoy and with every dive, go back to the reasons why you got into diving in the first place.

Peace

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom