Thoughts about DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand the frustration that Bob talks about. I had the same head down feet up feeling on the day I used the Bp/wings in my DIRF class. As noted, the time is short in these classes so I didn't have time to figure it all out that day. What I did come to understand from this class is that GUE created this class specifically to address the skill level of the typical diver which was not appropriate for the more advanced types of diving especially in the area of bouyancy control and hovering skill. Just think how much more anyone taking this course could get from it if they were taught proper weighting, proper trim and and hovering skills when they first learned to dive. IMHO every certified instructor should be required to take the DIRF course and apply the things learned to their own classes.

BradJ:
I know where you're coming from. I took DIR-f about six weeks ago from Dave Sweetin and Tyler Moon here in the Houston area.
Going in I really tried to take the attitude that everyone seems to preach here about an open mind and starting from "scratch".
Yes, I was even worse than I thought I would be, but instead of some renewed drive to become a better diver, I've just really lost all interest in the sport.
When I summarize the class to non-DIR friends(as it was summarized to me by TM & DS), it's that I was very comfortable underwater, I'm a safe recreational diver that has all the skills necessary to dive the way I've been diving for several years now.
So why try and move toward a different way of diving when for ME it only frustrates and supresses my interest?
Don't get me wrong, Dave and Tyler are obviously great divers. I think if I wanted to move on to technical or overhead environments I would certainly make DIR a necessity.
But to continue the type of diving that I've enjoyed in the past and that I intend to pursue in the future, my initial "formal" DIR exposure is that it's not for me.

Brad, you echo exactly what's been going through my head this past week ... but I refuse to give up. My motives are probably different than yours ... this is about more than me.

It's not that I want to be a DIR diver, necessarily ... it's more that I don't want to be someone who's limits are established by less than optimal diving habits. And my reasons for taking the class are twofold ... first, I think I had hit a wall in my development as a diver ... second, as a newly certified scuba instructor, I don't want to be teaching people how to dive in a way that would limit their development. I want to help them avoid some of the pitfalls I have run into as I've tried to become a more proficient diver. Now, admittedly ... DIR isn't the only way to do that. But it's a good way, and the one I've chosen.

As Uncle Pug noted, I'm starting to see some progress. It took about 10 dives, over the course of the past week, to even feel a noticeable difference ... but yesterday it started to come together. Persistence pays off.

This ain't easy ... it's like learning how to breathe a different way. You have to think about it constantly ... get out of your comfort zone ... relearn how to do the simplest things. And it's frustrating as all hell ... especially for someone who, going in, considered himself a proficient diver.

But for me, this is important. I'm teaching an AOW class starting this week. One of the things we'll be covering is buoyancy control. Imagine how it feels to suddenly realize you don't know as much about a subject you're teaching as you thought you did. It's worse than humbling. Yeah ... I wanted to cancel the class and sell my gear.

But I decided instead to just keep trying ...

Not everyone has the kind of access I do to diving ... I can get out there every day if I want to. Not everyone has a mentor like Uncle Pug ... who's willing to just go float in 15 feet of murky water for an entire dive and watch you frustrate yourself ... then tell you what he sees you doing and encourage you to go back down and try again. Without those things, six weeks from now I'd probably still be frustrated ... but I'm determined not to let that happen.

And it's starting to pay off ...

Yesterday was a good start ... for the first time since class I came up smiling. Not just because I managed a passable attempt at doing the skills ... but because I could feel the difference it made in how I was doing things, and I liked how it felt (Rule 6.5 ... always feel good).

I wasn't so sure about posting what I was going thru here ... all the other reports always seem to be so positive and glowing. So maybe people wouldn't take it well, and it would be a poor reflection on me ... or the class ... or the instructor.

But I figured someone out there who had taken this class must've gone through the same confidence crash I did ... and that maybe expressing my own frustrations would bring out a more balanced discussion of what the class is all about. I got a lot of PM's from people telling me they felt the same way when they took it ... and encouraging me to stick with the program. For me, this was important.

Your mileage may vary. Perhaps this style of diving isn't for you. Depends on what your diving goals are. My goals are to avoid becoming the kind of instructor who gets comfortable with doing things a certain way and stops learning. I did this now because I'm going to be teaching people how to dive ... and I want to be able to do more than just parrot what some instructor guide tells me to teach them. I'll avoid the use of the marketing term ... but I will say I don't want to start my students off by teaching them poor diving habits right out of the starting gate. In order to do that, I have to understand what those habits are ... and learn to avoid them myself.

So I'll stick with Dori's advice ... and just keep swimming.

It ain't easy ... and until yesterday it wasn't much fun. But I'm starting to see some progress. And that's what matters.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
So I'll stick with Dori's advice ... and just keep swimming.

It ain't easy ... and until yesterday it wasn't much fun. But I'm starting to see some progress. And that's what matters.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Congrats on the progress Bob, I'm looking forward to reading more reports.

Brian

sucks to be me right now. the pager has been going off all morning so far. i'm effectively under house arrest to this thing and can't get out and dive...

since i'm stuck and bored, i made a list of everything i need to fix after DIR-F...

here goes:

- CG drills, learn balance, apply to trim
- rule #2 -- trim at all times, keep knees up
- fix lame leg on frog + modified frog kick,
- better proprioceptive feel of kicks
- backwards kicks

- plan before descent
- SADDDDD plan
- ADDD turn points

- before descent:
- bubble checks
- 2nd stage regs
- SPG
- 1st stage regs
- drysuit inflator
- equipment check (got that snorkel?)
- long hose deployment
- lights

- slower descents, more control, hovering stops

- use of the pull dump to dump
- more control over volume
- more consistancy in getting it to dump

- hitting the right d-ring with the long hose clip consistantly
- hitting the waist d-ring with the SPG consistantly

- OOA drills in 8-10 fsw
- get in the habit of doing modified valve drills several times during a dive

- flying in formation
- flashing signals to all buddies on 3-man team, relay signals

- situational awareness:
- what is your dive time?
- what is your depth?
- how long have you been at that depth?
- what is your air?
- what is your consumption rate?
- when are you going to turn (time and pressure)?
- where are your buddies?
- do they look okay?
- does thier equipment look okay?

- environment, equipment, team
- don't overfocus
- maintain:
- buoyancy (z-axis)
- positional awareness (x,y-axis or relative to fixed point)
- buddy contact and awareness with all team members
- team equipment config

- equipment fixes:
- steel tanks or aluminum tanks with weighted STA
- smaller legs, boots on drysuit
- remove telescoping torso on drysuit

lamont:
i made a list of everything i need to fix after DIR-F...

Dang Lamont, that's a class syllabus ... :wink:

OE2X and I were at it again today. Actually, we went down to show a group from Oregon our dive site ... then after we delivered them safely back to shore we turned around and went back out for some drills.

Nothing special, just the basics ... float for a few minutes, do an OOA. The first one didn't go as well as yesterday, so we went back down and did it again. Went much better the second time.

The trim is starting to come together. I'm concentrating on keeping the knees up and the fins down ... and just trying to remain motionless. I'm noticing that the rig isn't tipping me over on my head anymore ... OK, so maybe it wasn't the rig ... :D

Gonna have to take a few days off and teach a class. Funny ... I'm actually looking forward to the next practice ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Dang Lamont, that's a class syllabus ... :wink:

OE2X and I were at it again today. Actually, we went down to show a group from Oregon our dive site ... then after we delivered them safely back to shore we turned around and went back out for some drills.

Nothing special, just the basics ... float for a few minutes, do an OOA. The first one didn't go as well as yesterday, so we went back down and did it again. Went much better the second time.

The trim is starting to come together. I'm concentrating on keeping the knees up and the fins down ... and just trying to remain motionless. I'm noticing that the rig isn't tipping me over on my head anymore ... OK, so maybe it wasn't the rig ... :D

Gonna have to take a few days off and teach a class. Funny ... I'm actually looking forward to the next practice ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Me too!!! :D

Bob and OE2X,
You have been assimilated!!! :wink:

Bob, just think how much headache/frustration you will save your students when you start them out with these methods before they ever have the chance to ingrain so many bad habits that need to be unlearned in the future.

NWGratefulDiver:
I'm noticing that the rig isn't tipping me over on my head anymore ... OK, so maybe it wasn't the rig ... :D
... when you start diving the doubles and they put you back on your head. :D

It will be the same learning curve all over. Oh, for joy. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom