Those of you with two or more..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those of you with two or more sets of BC's/Regs/.. equipment in general. I have a question.

What is your reason/motive for keeping extra?

Spare if one set develops a fault. Also can loan to others. Oh and use single tank, twinset, stages and so on. You can never have too much dive gear.

My spare bits of kit have helped me out numerous times.

If its a multi day trip i take 2 drysuits and 2 undersuits to avoid having a trip ruined should a seal or zip break on my suit and so on.

I have a lot of gear . . . three backplates, each one configured for different uses; three wings (ditto), singles and doubles regs. I finally did sell my original BC, because I was not ever going to dive it again, and most of the friends to whom I would be likely to lend gear wouldn't want it, either. I got rid of fins I wasn't going to use, and lights I wasn't going to use. It still leaves me with enough gear to completely outfit a visiting diver :)

I think it makes sense to keep things you would be willing to use in a pinch. Enough stuff goes down that having spares makes sense -- Even if you aren't going to take them with you on trips, at least if your regulator develops a problem two days before you leave, you have a second one to save the trip. I now own three drysuits, and I'm trying to decide what to do about that, but drysuits are so untrustworthy that having two backups doesn't actually seem like an insane idea, given that I've already paid for them, and they're worth very little in resale. And that's the big problem in selling replaced scuba gear -- You get so little for it, it's often just not worth the effort to get it sold.

Those of you with two or more sets of BC's/Regs/.. equipment in general. I have a question.

I will be getting a second BC this summer and I am trying to decide whether or not I should keep the old one. I also now have two regs now (though I let a new diver use until he can pick his own up) and I am trying to decide if it is beneficial to keep both. I assume it is a good idea to always have a back up, but I do not bring both with me on dive trips so that kind of doesnt work...

Does my question make sense?

Any and all thoughts are welcome..

Thanks in advance for your comments..

I collect old gear. Further I am not of the one rig for everything school of thought. I dive different equipment depending upon if I am diving vintage or solo or with a buddy or lake vs ocean or deep solo vs team/buddy diving. I use different equipment when I shore dive especially if a walk is involved and if I am on MY boat I might dive yet another rig and then there is kayak diving where I go to extreme to simplyfy and reduce..

That said, if you have two similar BCs other than one being newer or a different size or color, yes, ebay it.

N

Reading some of these posts, I guess I'm not as bad off as I had thought. I have 5 1st stages and 8 2nd stages, most of which I have collected over the last year to practice servicing on. I'm trying to stop, really I am. Since most of this stuff is not currently made, when I see one for sale in great shape I tend to think "better buy it, these things are getting harder to find" but in truth I probably have enough for any diving I'll do the rest of my life and plenty to loan out.

I only have one BP and a standard BC, but I'm in the market for an AL or plastic plate. I'd like to figure out a way I can use a HP100 without sinking like a stone. Colder water would do the trick, I guess!

A few of you have commented on "poor resale". That is a good motivator for keeping a hold of your initial investment. A lot of money goes into the equipment and when you do not make enough of it back then that is definitely a turn off..

Plus being able to supply a buddy when something goes wrong or when something is forgotten is a big plus.

I appreciate all the comments!
Thank you to all!!

I will be getting a second BC this summer and I am trying to decide whether or not I should keep the old one. I also now have two regs now (though I let a new diver use until he can pick his own up) and I am trying to decide if it is beneficial to keep both. I assume it is a good idea to always have a back up, but I do not bring both with me on dive trips so that kind of doesnt work...

Does my question make sense?

Any and all thoughts are welcome..

Thanks in advance for your comments..
My instructor keeps multiple equipment. When they are doing the confined water portion, the chlorine in the pool does a number on the equipment. So she has one set of equipment for the pool and other equipment for open water.

I only have one set of equipment but hope to someday becomes an instructor. I'll probably get a second set of equipment and use the current gear for practicing in the pool, assisting the instructors and some day becoming an actual instructor.

I'm also finding the gear I have is good for home but a bit heavy to take to the Caribbean. So I'm considering at least a lighter BCD for traveling. I already have two sets of fins (cold water and warm water).

I have two complete sets of gear, except for reg set and prescription mask, and am putting together a third set of gear.

I leave one set in a winter home. As far as is possible, I have duplicated items so both sets of gear are identical.

I'm working on putting together a third set to leave at a summer home, and have recently bought a pair of old USD Blades fins off another SB'er since I'm trying to make the third set a clone of the others.

Charlie99, Can you adopt me?

I kept my old BC after I got the new one. Now the old one is for pool use only. The new one never hits chlorine.

Thanks to everyone that commented. This forum really is a great resource for divers of all levels (that I've seen so far) and it is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom