This is a dick move...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are talking about the one about a year or so ago I know who did that, he isn't the Kave Kardashians, in fact he barely uses social media. He found it between Challenge and Olsen on the Grand Traverse, and stuck it on the sign for a laugh.
Yeah, that one. I won't lie of all the stupid stuff in caves, that one actually made me laugh. I'm cool with stuff like the godzillas, the bats, and the cow thought if it was up to me we wouldn't place them in the cave. I don't get thinking its so funny to put a rubber dick in a cave that its worth you go out acquire one, bring it on a dive, then select a place to put it. I'm not offended and find crude humor funny, but the dicks in the caves are just dumb.
Same with the skull in peacock across from the deer bones. Many years ago pothole was open and the deer bones were found in the cave naturally so someone put them on the ledge. Over time more and more stuff got put on the ledge. Now we've gone so far that somebody's dragging a fake skull into the cave. I'm not trying to be a wet noodle, but its just dumb and too much. Whats it say to students who see it on their first dives in peacock? Cool let's bring sh-t in the caves eventhough we're taught cave conservation and leave nothing behind. On top of that, over time that unnatural plastic is just going to leech out chemicals into the system. It wont have a huge impact, but why negatively impact the local organisms that live on the ledge in order to be the cool guy who put a skull in the cave. Obviously same could be said about leaving arrows in a cave. But I also have opinions on alot of the damage we do to the caves alot of people could care less about (aka I think we should be certifying less cave divers for the sake of conservation, but that's a very unpopular opinion).
It's just dumb.

Obviously same could be said about leaving arrows in a cave.

Well arrows and other markers serve a necessary function.

I think we have reached the point that the community is too large for those types of jokes anymore because they can get out of hand. If the Godzilla circuit was being made today I picture new T-rex toys being added weekly until the room is filled with them.

I am a little worried that me bringing attention may result in more of them. And more like this one that replaced permanent arrows.

Well arrows and other markers serve a necessary function.

I think we have reached the point that the community is too large for those types of jokes anymore because they can get out of hand. If the Godzilla circuit was being made today I picture new T-rex toys being added weekly until the room is filled with them.

I am a little worried that me bringing attention may result in more of them. And more like this one that replaced permanent arrows.
Fully agree that markers are a different story since they serve a function. I only said it cause I knew there was a chance some joker would say "but you leave plastic markers" in response to my post.

Also agree we're at the point the stuff should stop. There's a reason there's a nice set of bones hidden on Ginnie that almost everyone that dives there beyond the intro level has passed but have no idea they're there because they're well hidden. Because people can't be trusted to be adults. I didn't even know they were there until kensuf showed me, and I'd had at least 100 dives right past them.

You aren't going to worsen it with a post. A-holes are going to be a-holes regardless. And I doubt anybody's like ooh lets go add crap because of this post.

... because they can get out of hand.
Not just USA dive sites, but all the glory markers at the back end of caves to prove they reached it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom