This gave me the creeps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anybody else relate this thread to the thread that asks if dive training is being watered down? Maybe just for this diver it was.

Can anybody else relate this thread to the thread that asks if dive training is being watered down? Maybe just for this diver it was.

I don’t think it’s a watered down problem...I think too many instructors are scared to tell a customer that they should take up knitting.

Myth: anyone can learn to dive safely.

Reality: a significant portion of people will react inappropriately to life or death stimulus, and that can’t be identified via training more often than not. However, when a student consistently reacts inappropriately to stimulus in class, and still get a card...the system is broken.

I see it way too often.

I don’t think it’s a watered down problem...I think too many instructors are scared to tell a customer that they should take up knitting.

Reality: a significant portion of people will react inappropriately to life or death stimulus, and that can’t be identified via training more often than not. However, when a student consistently reacts inappropriately to stimulus in class, and still get a card...the system is broken.

I see it way too often.
In this day and age of political correctness and profiteering, it would be considered wrong by current social trends to pass a few members of a family but not others who are destined to go on a dive vacation together; you would be breaking families apart.
Everybody passes therefore everybody pays, good for the the bottom line. Diving has become a family, all inclusive, politically correct for profit business. All this amature crap we’re seeing in all these posted vids is the by-product or downside of the industry. But I suppose they consider the overall growth and sales worth it somehow even if a few get maimed in the process? All those people bought gear and classes.
Pretty sad when all they look at is numbers.

It hasn’t been an extreme fringe sport practiced only by naturally competent water people in many years. No money in that.

I also think it is the responsibility of the individual to do his/her homework and to approach this sport with the respect it demands. When I got my Open water cert 10 years ago I dove for 5 years prior to even considering the advanced cert. I did drift dives, wreck dives, and over a 100 quarry dives before taking my advanced and Nitrox 5 years ago. I know many people who simply blow through their certs in 3 months practically. If i had to add the hours i have spent in my pool at home training all sorts of things it would add up to 50-60 hours at least. I dont have a cert for it but I can find any piece of my gear in total darkness anytime with 7 mil gloves. That is because the type of diving I do requires it. I think its up to the individual to take charge of their diving as well. When i went to Mexico in years past I passed up on the Cenote Cavern dives as I was not cavern certified. Many folks thought i was nuts given the type of diving I do this would be a walk in the park. Yet to me i did not have the skills required by the cert and I will admit I mostly did not trust the equipment as brining my own was not feasible. Bottomline I see too many people trusting others blindly. I bet if you asked those same people if they would strap a parachute on and just jump out of a plane most would reconsider or at least think hard about it.

So I was researching Blue Grotto as I am considering this as an alternate trip to St Lawrence and I come across this video. WTF. So the issue is more serious thanI had ever even realized. WTF are people thinking.Video says dive to 100 feet. AL80, new divers. One does not know how to turn on her flashlight which looks like it was purchased at Advanced auto parts. Dont see backup lights. Zero trim and anything even remotely resembling skills required to enter an overhead environment. One diver has no clue of proper ascent procedures. Buddy so far they may as well be in another zip code should something happen. The training in the industry is broken as there must be a test for insanity that is missing as part of the OW cert. I am in disbelief. A body recovery waiting to happen. Got to minute 18:10.. Deco Dive ! Wow

Last edited:
So I was researching Blue Grotto as I am considering this as an alternate trip to St Lawrence and I come across this video. WTF. So the issue is more serious thanI had ever even realized. WTF are people thinking.Video says dive to 100 feet. AL80, new divers. One does not know how to turn on her flashlight which looks like it was purchased at Advanced auto parts. Dont see backup lights. Zero trim and anything even remotely resembling skills required to enter an overhead environment. One diver has no clue of proper ascent procedures. Buddy so far they may as well be in another zip code should something happen. The training in the industry is broken as there must be a test for insanity that is missing as part of the OW cert. I am in disbelief. A body recovery waiting to happen.

I suspect this is nothing new - it’s just that with the internet, social media and camera tech like GoPro, these foolish people can now share their “adventures” with the rest of us.

So I was researching Blue Grotto as I am considering this as an alternate trip to St Lawrence and I come across this video. WTF. So the issue is more serious thanI had ever even realized. WTF are people thinking.Video says dive to 100 feet. AL80, new divers. One does not know how to turn on her flashlight which looks like it was purchased at Advanced auto parts. Dont see backup lights. Zero trim and anything even remotely resembling skills required to enter an overhead environment. One diver has no clue of proper ascent procedures. Buddy so far they may as well be in another zip code should something happen. The training in the industry is broken as there must be a test for insanity that is missing as part of the OW cert. I am in disbelief. A body recovery waiting to happen.

Taking video of their exploits certainly simplifies the enviable accident report. However, it’s a serious wet blanket for the post ScubaBoard accidents and incidents debate. On the upside, he was wearing his snorkel....

I see it way too often.

IMO this is a component of watered down training or whatever terminology one wishes to use to describe the lacking state of training offered.

The illusion of anyone can dive is also a part. Biking, hiking, camping, diving...….no difference, anyone can do it. Give'em 3 days at a resort and they'll give you an AOW card!

Obviously diving isn’t for everyone. Guess this is why they invented golf.

This made me LOL. Thanks.

:rofl3:

There have been lots of posts on the training topic. It is much more than the simple "In my day...". Can't speak to 30 years ago. Certified 26 years ago and DM/Instructor for 10. What I do see more often now at our quarry is the "cattle car" approach. Large classes without much experience gained by the students other than doing the skills on the platform. One weekend, my students thought I was riffing too much on a shop that had over 20 students quickly going through the motions (I was a bit cranky about what they were doing). On day two during our 4th dive we were finishing up and headed underwater towards the exit dock. We passed 6 students from that group on their 4th dive. 3 were upright bicycle kicking, two were upright using arms, legs and going nowhere and the 6th was stuck in the muck in the bottom trying to swim out with his arms. Shop staff seemed lost on what to do with them. I simply pointed at this CF to show my students, "See!" Afterwards my students said they realized why I was so grouchy because those people could end up on a dive boat with them soon.
In the end, what I did not like about this original post was the glorification of self-induced danger and horrible diving. Keep those blog posts to yourself!

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom