This gave me the creeps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess we each have our own comfort level with respect to what we perceive as risk.. I don't believe a deco dive is done on an AL80 as standard or good practice. To each his own.

May I try this again. Everything they did I would expect from rookie divers. You can clearly see him stopping her until he ensures national light. Their finning technique was far from stellar. They never got too far from the line. I guess that you would freak out with my dive in Okinawa down to 180’ with a single 100. I do not promote that kind of diving as I have learned better.
I just know that with a dive or two I could have them looking great. They have great potential IMHO. They monitored their gas and profile. I doubt that they incurred as much deco as stated. No increased work of breathing, sustained buddy contact, both were on their SPGs and computers, no lost fins, lost buddies, no reckless abandonment toward the surface, etc. I’ll be the first to admit that I have done some rather stupid dives but this couple was nowhere near as to what we use to do.
For what it is worth, I am a technical DM, full trimix, DPV and full cave. So that is the point of view from what I am seeing.
No rights and no wrongs, I was comparing the two videos. One I can work with and the other not so much. IOW, I can see potential and reckless abandonment and know the difference.

I dive the Lillie Parsons all the time. ...
I never wear gloves for protection.

I dive in the river in the Brockville area a lot. That is spectacularly bad advice for 99% of divers. At a minimum a diver should wear a set of thin garden gloves or work gloves. Ideally with kevlar palm and fingers. Those downlines and uplines often attract fishing gear. And the zebras are sharp. Occasionally there is broken glass around as well.

If you want to bleed in the river, go ahead. Everyone else should wear gloves.

Tony I think because you have the experience you do you perhaps see things from a bigger picture and certainly through different lenses. From my narrower perspective it was a dangerous dive. You are right I would never have been at 180 on an HP100. Deepest I have gone is 115 and I had an HP133. I am a very risk averse person when I dive. Maybe to a fault but its never killed me underwater (thus far). As i said to each his own. Remember these divers are not you and don't have the experience you have. Deco dive with obligation and catastrophic gas failure and they have a real potential issue. Should they be so lucky to train with someone at your level. Something tells me after they did their dive would look different and that is bottom line what I was trying to say. I still feel the way I do about it but thanks for sharing the larger perspective.

And to add I for sure will be heading to dive this site with my dive buddy sometime this year. He is doing his advanced Nitrox / Decompression class with John Chatterton next month...lucky bastard !

It’s because he’s a cave diver. We cave divers really don’t like gloves. You can’t feel the line that might save your life.

Perhaps that’s his reason. Should be able to adapt to gloves though in a non-cave river dive.

I’ve seen people wearing shorty wetsuits in the St Lawrence during the August warm spell pushed into rocks covered in zebra mussels, ending the dive looking like their knees and elbows collided with a cheese grater.

Mooring lines frequently have fishing hooks stuck in them, too.

There's only about 6 inches of Blue Grotto that is cave (literally). Meaning the rest of it has surface light and is at least cavern zone.

Unless you are diving in another area which requires a guide and a key. I'm a guide if you have the skills and want to go :)

Perhaps that’s his reason. Should be able to adapt to gloves though in a non-cave river dive.

I’ve seen people wearing shorty wetsuits in the St Lawrence during the August warm spell pushed into rocks covered in zebra mussels, ending the dive looking like their knees and elbows collided with a cheese grater.

Mooring lines frequently have fishing hooks stuck in them, too.

When you got our skill, you don't need to touch nuttin but water. :)

Wow, caveat I only have 30 dives and I breath like an elephant but that guy was breathing very very heavy from 60 ft. They partners left him in the dust on the way to 110 not checking and just rushing. If he had a dark narcosis he should have came out of it about 70 ft deep or been able to think rationally.
I had a dark narc at least i believe so in monterey at 90 feet. reg out of mouth sucking water even. Ill post about it later. and had an irrational fear of doom death but I got back up to 60 and tried to go back down and eventually slowly went to 18 feet to do my 3 minute stop.

I dont understand his just shooting straight from 110ft to literally the surface. Then the other guy surfaces and I thought he might be saying dude wth why did you shoot to the surface and HE comes up without a fin and not pissed at his buddy for going straight up. He must have done the exact same thing. What happened to the third guy at 110ft? He couldnt have made it to the boat before them.

Did I miss something?

Ok rewatched the video, they definitely left the third guy alone down at 110feet or deeper. And no mention of him at the surface. Based on timeframe the second guy did the exact same high speed ascent to surface.

They are laughing and jovial with the 3rd guy still down there.

trim looked pathetic leaving the wreck before going deep. vertical and finning hard to stay in position.

I was given one of those guage clusters where you had to spin around to read all the dials. Was a pain. Got a computer immediately. after OW cert.

If these guys had done a long dive THEN went down to 110 feet and shot up like that they would have been in trouble. And i think they would have done the exact same thing after a long dive in that situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom