Thinking of taking the dive (Pun intended)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casarez

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, I am thinking of getting the vintage DH explorer kits offered. I do have some questions. From what I can understand the hookah port will only allow either a Octo or a BC inflation hose but not both correct? Would I have to get the Phoenix upgrade to be able to do both?

This works:
Hookahswivel.jpg

With an adapter you can connect several LP hoses to the hookah port. Hose orientation may not be the best but it can be done. You can use a banjo fitting to connect an SPG between the regulator and valve or use a valve with an SPG port or just use a J valve and good air use planning.

Another way to go is with an H-Valve and put a sinlge hose on the aux post. Then you have all the extras on the single hose 1st stage and you can swap out the double hose regs at will.

Because, just like potato chips and peanuts one you get one double hose you will soon be getting a few more.

You have been warned, just never let the wife know how many regs you have.

Hvalvefrontf.jpg

I've run a BC, octo and drysuit inflator off mine in the past using the triple adapter that Simonbeans has pictured. The Explorer kit is a super value at Vintage Double Hose and a great way to start with a double hose regulator. The reg can be upgraded with a Phoenix kit down the road if desired. Double hose regs are a little different so bare that in mind. Things like proper regulator positioning are important to get the best performance out of them. It's a good idea to read up on the use of them before trying one out. Do some searching on Vintage Double Hose and Vintage Scuba supply. There are a lot of threads that cover this. Basic Scuba by Fred Roberts is another great source of info. Have fun with it.

Well, I dove in and ordered one of the Explorer kits and it was delivered last night!

I happened to already have a multiport adapter to use, buts its slightly different syle than the one pictured. Right now I have it set up with one hose going left to a wing inflator, one hose pointing down to go to my drysuit and one hose going right of a backup second stage.

The pressure gauge and banjo take a little care to get on the valve, but feel solid once its all hooked up. They won't fit over my combo din/yoke valves, but no problem going over a standard sherwood yoke.

I had been keeping an eye out for a double hose for quite a while, but the cost of buying a dingy old one, buying the new silicone parts for it as well as the long yoke, banjo and hookah port adapter made it seem pretty pricey. Combined with the risk of not knowing what you are getting and rebuilding something unfamiliar I decided that the explorer kit is way better value.

I'll still be keeping an eye out for an old double hose to tinker with, but I'll be diving the explorer kit.

Me thinks you will love the double hose regulator. Maybe not at first, but when you try to go back to a single hose, you will appreciate the difference!

Well, had my first dive with the explorer kit last night. I swapped the pressure guage off and added my wireless transmitter. I also dove the rig on a plastic backplate with a single tank wing on a steel 72 and a drysuit.

Not the most "vintage" rig, but I bought the kit so that I can start mixing modern and vintage and then decide how I want dive it later.

So, it was a bit of an experience. I had read all the positioning tips and was still surprised how variable it could be. If I was too head down (with a full tank) I found the cracking pressure to be the highest of any reg I have ever tried; however, I also found that if I rolled slightly to the side as I inhaled it was not bad and as the tank pressure dropped it got better in all positions. I also noticed the exhalation effort is, of course, inversely proportionate to the inhalation.

I found the low IP of the first stage of the aquamaster was a bit slow inflating my drysuit, but it was adequate. I was slightly underweighted for the dive so I was holding a rock with a squeeze on my suit and didn't touch the wing inflator except at the surface.

The key notes from my dive are as follows:

I think with better weighting I would have been more successful with the upward tilted trim.

I am going to try a different backplate that may allow a better reg position.

I started the dive with 2000 psi and finished with 1000 psi. I might try the next dive with a bit shorter fill (1600 to 1800 psi) just to keep in the sweet spot of the reg.

This is going to take some practice, but I think it will be fun and gives me a fun way to challenge myself when doing simpler dives with my less experienced buddies.

Not the most "vintage" rig? When the water is cold I want to be in my CF200! LOL. That's the way a lot of "vintage" diving gets done. And that's just fine. Learn to use your new reg. Double hosers are different. They are a lot of fun to use. The DA being an unbalanced reg should be set up with a tank containing about 500 psi and the IP should be set to around 110. At least thats what the manual says. I usually run mine a little hotter. I've not noticed any slack in the flow to a dry suit inflator personally. Breathing differently during the tank cycle is the nature of the beast. Cousteau prefered an unbalanced reg as he felt a good diver would know how much gas he had left by how the reg was breathing. Anyway, as you dive the reg, I think you'll really enjoy it. I have!

Actually an IP of 110 is what you would expect at a 3000 psi tank pressure. 110 psi at 3000 psi is straight out of the Navy manual. All my DA's are set at between 130 and 135 psi at 500 psi tank pressure and end up at 110 to 115 at 2500 psi. At 110 psi at 500 you will be below 100 psi with a full tank, way too low for best performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom