Thinking of diving into the compressor money pit..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It seems I may have the opportunity to pick up a refurbed Bauer Oceanus at a decent price. It makes absolutely no fiscal sense whatsoever, but I'm drawn in about the learning aspect and convenience. Plus, I figure that making the reasonable assumption that provided I keep the unit in good condition, I'm not going to lose too much on it if/when I sell it down the track.

So I've been feverishly reading the threads in this forum, along with the Oxy Hackers Companion, and putting together to-do and shopping lists.

If/when this opportunity turns into a purchase, have I missed anything in getting from zero to nitrox?

- Sort out the location + 240/15A power
- breather hose for the inlet
- re-read the manual
- get familiar with the unit
- get filling w/ air
- round up the parts for a nitrox stick
- build it
- source some O2
- get filling w/nitrox

Carbon monoxide analyzer?

O2 analyzer?

Are you going to keep a fill log, just like the log you sign at a dive shop when you get a Nitrox fill?

Are you going oxygen clean?
What is your system filtration?
Do you have the proper detergent?
Distilled water?
O2-compatible lubricant?
O2-compatible o-rings?
Ultrasonic cleaner?
Are your tanks and valves O2 clean?

Are you going to have your gas analyzed by a professional lab?

At some point, with your own compressor, it pays to also inspect and maintain your own cylinders and valves. Take a course to become a cylinder inspector, and buy yourself a set of inspection tools. I can sell you my tools, I sold my compressor and stuff when I stopped cave diving.

You said 'MONEY PIT." It's all about the convenience.

240V/15Ah is kind of light, as long as you're not using slowbreak breakers designed for electric motors. The usual starting current of an electric motor is 3x the operating current. I would not use anything less than 30A breakers and even these might be a little light. Slow 20A breakers would also work as long as you are not starting the compressor under load.

Michael

Carbon monoxide analyzer?

O2 analyzer?

Are you going to keep a fill log, just like the log you sign at a dive shop when you get a Nitrox fill?

Are you going oxygen clean?
What is your system filtration?
Do you have the proper detergent?
Distilled water?
O2-compatible lubricant?
O2-compatible o-rings?
Ultrasonic cleaner?
Are your tanks and valves O2 clean?

Are you going to have your gas analyzed by a professional lab?

At some point, with your own compressor, it pays to also inspect and maintain your own cylinders and valves. Take a course to become a cylinder inspector, and buy yourself a set of inspection tools. I can sell you my tools, I sold my compressor and stuff when I stopped cave diving.

You said 'MONEY PIT." It's all about the convenience.

Good points Harry.

Filtration is the standard factory Bauer P21. At some stage I may look at packing my own, but small steps.

Don't intend on running any high pressure o2, at least to begin with, hence the nitrox stick, mixing up to 36%. I only use up to 50% deco, and don't tend to use a lot of it, so at least for the moment I'll keep filling that at the dive shop to avoid the need to O2 clean.

O2 analyser I have. CO analyser I'm looking into at the moment, as well as local(ish) labs that I can use to analyse.

I live in Australia where there is no such thing as a VIP - our cylinders require an annual hydro if we want a dive shop to fill them. And I don't plan on my workshop becoming a certified testing station!

The Oceanus comes with a 5hp motor which is going to need a 30amp circuit (minimum) to start for sure.

The Oceanus comes with a 5hp motor which is going to need a 30amp circuit (minimum) to start for sure.

Pretty sure I'm covered here. We're talking about 240v, not 110V.

It's a 15A circuit, which in Aus generally refers not necessarily to the breaker, but to a different plug that used compared to the standard domestic 10A circuit (it has a different earth prong).

This is so appliances that have a high current draw can't physically be plugged into a standard 10A GPO / circuit.

My "15A" circuit has a 20A breaker with 6x surge limit. If it trips, it's just a matter of switching out to a slower tripping breaker.

Mate I've got a 4hp motor on my Oceanus and I just installed a 20amp breaker and
a double din socket in the switchboard that happens to be in my filling stuff garage

Repacking is a POP

full.jpg

The Oceanus is so beautiful it's almost more beautiful than beauty itself

My "15A" circuit has a 20A breaker with 6x surge limit. If it trips, it's just a matter of switching out to a slower tripping breaker.
This should be ok

We don't have anything like a "15A plug" on a 20A breaker terminology. How much current can a "15A" outlet actually handle?

I have a 220V 3hp motor on a 30amp circuit. The breaker is 30amp (fast), its 10 gauge wire, and the plug is what we call a "dryer" plug which is rated for 30amps.

We don't have anything like a "15A plug" on a 20A breaker terminology. How much current can a "15A" outlet actually handle?
Actually quite common in NA 110V building wiring. 12GA 20A Circuit with multiple 15A duplex outlets. But I'll grant you that there isn't really good terminology for it.

Actually quite common in NA 110V building wiring. 12GA 20A Circuit with multiple 15A duplex outlets. But I'll grant you that there isn't really good terminology for it.
I had assumed the compressor was on a dedicated circuit, but maybe not? I would definitely avoid branches in a compressor wiring, although I know people how have split their 30amp dryer circuit with a compressor and just dont run both at the same time. Not ideal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom