Thinking of buying a boat, need License?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you can do some more checking and I am sure others will jump in but to my best knowledge, no, you cannot take divers or customers on discovery dives or check out dives for a fee even if the fee is for the instruction or DM duties and not the boat per say. You are splitting hairs there and I suspect it will not split to your advantage should the authorities question you or misfortune come your way. You would have to have a licensed captain and the correct inspections for the class of boat.

Phoenix is close to So Cal, we went there often enough including to Catalina and the Gulf of California.

Some states do require a license but most operators are grandfathered even there. As to why you can operate a boat without a license but not a car or airplane, well, you may have a point but it is the way it is. :wink:.

Good luck, enjoy your new adventure. Boats are a wonderful as long as the family are on board with it. Have fun.

N
Thanks again.

Well, I'm one that does try to abide by the rules...........it's not my intention to do anything commercially with a boat or split hairs but it's good to knowthings in advance so as to not make a a costly mistake later.....certainly family and frinds are the priority......

Thanks!

Hi Jim,
The CoastGuard gives a number of boating courses.
General Navigation and nautical markers are important to learn. I would suggest anyone interested in piloting their own boat take a small powerboat course. It has been so many years since I have been boating that I will take a class myself when I get my next boat.
It seems that many of the weekend warriors at LP haven't the foggiest. As for noncommercial boating there is no requirement to take any course in AZ. Just keep in mind that ignorance is no excuse under the law.

az diver
here is my recommendation as my family was in the same spot as you:
(until we found this site that is...)
Yacht Brokerage and Boat Sales click boats for sale > sportfishing and pick your boat, make an offer, and wait to hear back. easy as that. :)
Thanks NJ to FLA......you feel my pain............I should remane my user ID to AZ to FL.

Nice link......although............a little more than aticipated at this point....I would have to sell at least two houses to afford that gorgeouse yacht on the first page.

Thanks!

Hi Jim,
General Navigation and nautical markers are important to learn. I would suggest anyone interested in piloting their own boat take a small powerboat course. It has been so many years since I have been boating that I will take a class myself when I get my next boat.
It seems that many of the weekend warriors at LP haven't the foggiest. As for noncommercial boating there is no requirement to take any course in AZ. Just keep in mind that ignorance is no excuse under the law.
Yep. I agree 100%.

Hi Jim,
Want to take a course together since we DMC togehter :)

Hi Jim,
Can you be at the lake Friday to dive?

Ok. it will have to be something like this....I've been left without choice. We'll do your OW dive 4 here at the harbor.....when you pass we get to go out to the ocean as a bonus to you.

Even that is cutting it close. In the eyes of the law, if you instruct off of your boat, including discover scuba's, since there is no way to separate out the cost of the boat they infer that the act of teaching involves a "for hire" situation, even if you did it for free.

Be careful. It would probably be better to get them certified, hand out the temp cards, then ask anyone if they'd like to go diving off of a private boat, clarifying "any contribution to help with expenses is strictly voluntary," and have them put any money into a box on the boat or tow vehicle. It's best to take the hands off approach and not let the money actually change hands.

Trust me on this one. We've had our run-ins with harbormasters and local police and finally threatened civil litigation to end the harassment. Bringing up the Congressional clarification in 2000 following the legislation passed in 1993 definitely made them realize they would lose in court. The relevant regulation is covered in 46 CFR 24.10-1. Keep it handy as you never know when you might need it.

Even that is cutting it close. In the eyes of the law, if you instruct off of your boat, including discover scuba's, since there is no way to separate out the cost of the boat they infer that the act of teaching involves a "for hire" situation, even if you did it for free.

Be careful. It would probably be better to get them certified, hand out the temp cards, then ask anyone if they'd like to go diving off of a private boat, clarifying "any contribution to help with expenses is strictly voluntary," and have them put any money into a box on the boat or tow vehicle. It's best to take the hands off approach and not let the money actually change hands.

Trust me on this one. We've had our run-ins with harbormasters and local police and finally threatened civil litigation to end the harassment. Bringing up the Congressional clarification in 2000 following the legislation passed in 1993 definitely made them realize they would lose in court. The relevant regulation is covered in 46 CFR 24.10-1. Keep it handy as you never know when you might need it.
You're right, thanks for the advice and the reference.

The boat will be for personal use and I'll just have to be very careful about keeping any type of dive service completely separate.

Thanks!

Um, out here in SoCal I think all you need to operate a boat is an alcoholic beverage in hand and a few in your stomach. They really should require a license and proper training based on what I've seen of a number of boaters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom