Thinking of buying a boat, need License?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct me if I am wrong,, but it sounds you have little experience operating any size boat. If that is the case, those 30-40ft boats are going to be a serious challenge for you, especially offshore. Also, those are " pretty boats, " not dive boats. You will ruin their appearance quickly, using those as dive boats.

Correct me if I am wrong,, but it sounds you have little experience operating any size boat. If that is the case, those 30-40ft boats are going to be a serious challenge for you, especially offshore. Also, those are " pretty boats, " not dive boats. You will ruin their appearance quickly, using those as dive boats.
CaptEsteban -

Yes, you are correct. I have little experience in operating a boat and have not owned one. Although, while in the Navy I was assigned to ACB-1 and I did operate some as part of our work assignment....granted... it was little and long ago.

I am currently looking for a smaller (20ft or so) vessel to operate here on the local lake. Hopefully experience with it over the next year and a half or so will help. The large vessels in my earlier post are just part of the range (not completely random but sort of) of vessels I think would meet my needs approximately 18 months from now and the boat would be located in FL, I'm currently in AZ. I know I have a lot of homework to do between now and then and am just starting the process now.

I don't plan on using the big boat as a 'dive boat' per say. But rather as a boat for family and friends and to periodically take longer voyages on. I just want to be able to more easily dive from it. Some of the configurations I see on those boats would make it difficult to dive from without damaging the boat. In the final analysis I will choose a vessel that I can dive from and put the appropriate protections in place so that my poor investment won't get accelerated wear due to diving. Also, a year from now after more scrutiny and education I may decide I could get by with a lesser vessel, I just don't know what an experienced person would qualify as a minimum vessel to get from say Ft. Lauderdale to Bahamas and back safely and comfortably with family. What is a minimum vessel to say spend a week touring the caribbean with family comfortably and safely?

When I get to the point of actually purchasing which won't be for another year and a half or so (because that's my FL timetable) I certainly will be able to narrow down the choices to the vessels that would be the most practical and be dive friendly. Also, agreed some of those boats are over kill, the point is that I do need something that we could take short vacations on.

I also, plan on taking whatever safe boating course that are available to me and look into basic boat maintenance classes and whatever direction the local marine mechanics can point me in that would assist me in keeping the vessel in good shape.

Thanks for any and all advice, direction and/or criticisms...they are all welcome.

I would like to hear more about your comment about 30-40ft boats being more of a challenge offshore.

Thanks again!

I live in Fl. & it is a buyers market for boats right now. Many Capts. are selling their larger " 6 pak " fishing rigs, because of new fishing limits in the Gulf, the economy, etc. Check out " Boattrader.com. "
I have never gone on a Bahama trip in a smaller boat , but there are groups who get together & go to Bimini, etc., from Ft. Lauderdale area all the time. Going in groups is a safe way to go. They always say that they will run into rougher water than expected. Remember even a 50" boat is tiny in the ocean ! I'll see if I can come up with a link for you.

added;
http://www.biminicruisingguide.com/bimini_advice.htm

I live in Fl. & it is a buyers market for boats right now. Many Capts. are selling their larger " 6 pak " fishing rigs, because of new fishing limits in the Gulf, the economy, etc. Check out " Boattrader.com. "
I have never gone on a Bahama trip in a smaller boat , but there are groups who get together & go to Bimini, etc., from Ft. Lauderdale area all the time. Going in groups is a safe way to go. They always say that they will run into rougher water than expected. Remember even a 50" boat is tiny in the ocean ! I'll see if I can come up with a link for you.

added;
Bimini Guide, Bimini Island Bahamas
CaptEsteban -

Thanks for the link. It was very educational, just the type of 'food for thought that I need'.

The article causes me to wonder if I should set 30' as a minimum. In any case the article certainly opens my eyes for things to look for and insist on.

Thanks for this great help.

added;
Bimini Guide, Bimini Island Bahamas
Thanks for the information, it prompted a search for similiar information and I found this helpful site.

Intermediate Size Sport Fishermen and Cruisers: Boat Safety at Sea Part II

Let me throw my 2cents in here. You got a ton of great advice. Use it well. I have been boating for well over 30 years and a master for many of them too.
First, when buying a boat, think of what type of propulsion you want. My first (real) boat was gas, I regretted that from day 1 (when I learned about the hazards form my coastguard aux class). It wasn't until 1992 when I bought my diesel powered boat. Then think do you want single or twin screws. Twins are twice as expensive to - buy, maintain, run, etc etc. But you can come home without help for most single points of failures. This could be valuable and saved me once when I lost an engine in rough seas and could not raise the CG (their radio was knocked out by an electric storm)
Next look at the hull. Will you be in big water or bays? Do you need the cutting power of a deep-v at the sacrifice of drift stability, maybe you want a displacement hull instead of a plaining hull. Or, maybe a modified deep v. My boat has the cutting edge of a knife in the bow but almost no deadrise in the stern providing great stability at drift, great punch in heavy seas, plain above 16 knots and full displacement below that. But man does that hard chine pound in a tight sea. Do you know what a hard chine is?
There is much more but I fear I threw a lot on you already. If you want to have a discussion, feel free to PM me, we can set up a chat over the phone, I'll be happy to help where I can.
Oh, my best advice when buying a used boat, get a marine surveyor! This is like an engineer for a house. On an expensive boat the reasons are obvious (it cost me over $75,000 to repower my boat). Even on a cheaper, lets say $5,000 boat, a $1,000 repair is 20% of your purchase price and a good surveyor can help you avoid these pitfalls.
Good luck and remember, the happiest days of boat ownership is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Skipper John -

Thanks for your 2 cents!

Yes, I do follow 99% of what you are saying. I have been busy researching, there is a lot of information available. Yep, I know what chine. Yep, I know I want twins.

One thing I'm still looking at is gas vs. diesel, seems like veryone has an opinion on this. Being for the most part new to boats I will always lean towards saftey and reliability and the ability to get back home.

Thanks again for the 2 cents.....throw 2 more cents in anytime :)

Back
Top Bottom