Thinking of buying a boat, need License?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Um, out here in SoCal I think all you need to operate a boat is an alcoholic beverage in hand and a few in your stomach. They really should require a license and proper training based on what I've seen of a number of boaters.

So called "proper training and license" doesn't seen to help the car driver much.

I recently bought my first boat, and used a few different resources to help educate myself. Here are a couple:

Buying a Boat - BoatSafe.com

Questions To Ask Boat Sellers - How To Inquire About A Boat's History When Buyinghttp://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/buying.htm

http://www.yachtauctions.com/

Don't recall seeing what size boat you're looking for, but that last link has boats from 16' to 200'+. I spoke to one of their sales reps, Babb Rawlings, who was very helpful, although I ultimately purchased a boat from a private seller. I'd recommend him.

I recently bought my first boat, and used a few different resources to help educate myself. Here are a couple:

Buying a Boat - BoatSafe.com

Questions To Ask Boat Sellers - How To Inquire About A Boat's History When Buyinghttp://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/buying.htm

http://www.yachtauctions.com/

Don't recall seeing what size boat you're looking for, but that last link has boats from 16' to 200'+. I spoke to one of their sales reps, Babb Rawlings, who was very helpful, although I ultimately purchased a boat from a private seller. I'd recommend him.
Glock Diver -

Thanks! Great links!

Please feel free to share anything notable from your first experience in buying a boat. I need all the advice I can get.

I've been looking at the 26ft to 40ft range, on Ebay Motors (I've looked at some other auction and sales links as well). I've been browsing there to get a better idea of the types of boats and associated costs.

So far I like the Cabin or Sport Cruisers because I want something I can take buddies out on a dive with but then also at other times take for a long weekend into the caribbean. So, I've been trying to get educated on the different configurations. I'm pretty certain I want Twin inboards since I want to travel farther than just offshore. Also, the cabin needs to be something I could live in for a week or longer if I wanted to take a trip.

The hard part has been getting a configuration that allows for tank racks, I'm thinking of only a maximum of 8-10 tanks. I saw on LiesurePro some basket type racks that could be bungee/tie down and thus removed when you didn't need them. There's also a suction cup type that could be used. This seems right now an attractive option - removable temporary racks.

I also, would like something that could be fitted to carry a PWC.

It will be about a year and half or longer process, I'm just starting out now and my preferences may change of that period of time. Also, as I become more educated on boats in general and the overall cost vs. what my own needs and uses for the vessel may be I may narrow down the search parameters. Right now the search is pretty wide open because I'm not sure what I like (other than for the boat to be able to travel) or what I want (to be able to dive form the boat) or what will be the most practical.

Here's a wide variety of what has caught my eye on Ebay. The Mansion (2nd link) is probably a big overkill but it sure looks like it would be great to dive from and tour the caribbean. The 2003 Maxum (which is the last link) is probably similar to what I would go for if I were to buy today.

2003 MAXUM 3100 SE CRUISER BOAT EXCELLENT:eBay Motors (item 330365391353 end time Oct-11-09 08:42:44 PDT)

2003 Holiday Mansion Coastal Cruiser:eBay Motors (item 320431463721 end time Oct-13-09 13:56:28 PDT)

rinker 330 37 feet long all options best slip 1000 ILS.:eBay Motors (item 180413931811 end time Oct-10-09 06:31:36 PDT)

REGAL 322 COMMODORE 1998 V-DRIVE 7.4 MPI LOADED FLORIDA:eBay Motors (item 320431507267 end time Oct-24-09 17:26:50 PDT)

30' MONTEREY 8.1 VOLVO 8.1 425 HP LIKE NEW NO RESERVE:eBay Motors (item 250508886985 end time Oct-11-09 18:30:00 PDT)

Carver 36' Aft Cabin Cruiser:eBay Motors (item 170389079387 end time Oct-22-09 18:00:00 PDT)

2001 MAXUM 3300 SCR 35'6" VERY CLEAN ONLY 180 HOURS:eBay Motors (item 280405226485 end time Oct-10-09 15:55:38 PDT)

Monterey 36 feet OAL Cruiser:eBay Motors (item 320433175129 end time Oct-14-09 14:51:00 PDT)

2003 Maxum 2900SCR 32' 2 berth FREE SEA DOO! Trades?:eBay Motors (item 200391107053 end time Oct-11-09 16:40:22 PDT)

Look on boattrader.com. I have purchased 3 boats from there and plan on buying my next from there. Seem to have better prices and you don't have to mess with bidding.

Look on boattrader.com. I have purchased 3 boats from there and plan on buying my next from there. Seem to have better prices and you don't have to mess with bidding.
Thanks!

I had seen this site and like it.

As suggested earlier......

Even before you buy a boat, see if you can take a class like this one:
USPS Educational Department - The Squadron Boating Course

The knowledge from the class will help you while you're shopping, and you will meet people who will be happy to tell you everything they know about the boats you are considering. You'll probably get a boat insurance discount too.

As suggested earlier......

Even before you buy a boat, see if you can take a class like this one:
USPS Educational Department - The Squadron Boating Course

The knowledge from the class will help you while you're shopping, and you will meet people who will be happy to tell you everything they know about the boats you are considering. You'll probably get a boat insurance discount too.
Thanks - I did look up the closest to me (about 4 1/2 mile away) and there was one I just missed in September. I haven't called the phone number but will.

Thanks!

No, just need common sense---

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom