Thinking about joining the CCR club - where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh come on, that's so not fair to tell me given I'm very into building stuff myself (if and only if I know enough to get it right...)
I can't help but be curious how much everything cost you building it yourself and what you chose for connections (Triton's circlips are awesome compared to many other types of connections, so hoping I at least still have that going for my investment..)
You don't have to build from scratch if you're really into it. Use Draeger SCR or IDA-71 (Soviet military rebreather) as a starting point. Look up Life Support System Design by Nuckols - lots of engineering and scientific info. If you can follow the formulas, you'll be all set. Be warned, however, some boats will ask for a certification for a unit you're diving. No certification, no dive.

That's great info, although while sometimes I don't know what I don't know, when it comes to considering building my own CCR I know i've probably got about a decade or more of CCR experience I need to gain before it would likely work for my own personal risk to reward ratio analysis.
Very carefully considered mods, like scratching the monox in favor of two shearwaters, are about the limit of changes I feel comfortable with given the risks involved (even though the science is getting much more clear to me and there's already a lot less mystery).

Draeger P ports and other conversion stuff

029.JPG

Nah mate you still have the Triton original Mk 500 latest and the best after 140 years

Don't call me a nerd, too tech for me
I've got a few huds in a box, anyway couldn't see the nerd that close to my eye let alone the screen

Yeah the IDA 71 that's where the rEvo came from

Draeger P ports and other conversion stuff
Thanks for the extra info and picture.

I only have a few hours with my NERD2 so take the following for what you will and I'm honestly not even sure what my overall opinion will end up being... My first impression was being really annoyed/distracted by nerds mounting position and it being kinda a pain in the ass to take the nerd off after a day of diving (I used mix of M3S and Shearwater parts, I do not know what the M3S mount for the nerd is like...), but after only three dives with the nerd mount I decided to try out using two hair ties to hold the nerd onto the loop which keeps it from being so intrusive while still being only a glance away (it's easily viewed with my mask, but it might be out of view with other masks and I don't know if I will end up keeping it that way but mentioning it because without dropping the nerd down to bottom/bottom left of my vision (chosen because I am left eye dominant) it was originally really intrusive for me...

Nerds are great, the world couldn’t do without them.

The Shearwater Nerd position, on my unit anyway, is adjusted to the bottom of my sightline. In use one is diving flat and looking upwards, i.e. forwards, thus the Nerd doesn’t obscure any vision.

Nerds are great, the world couldn’t do without them.
That’s a stretch, considering there’s an engineering flaw with how the depth sensor attaches, a trash charging interface, and the extra drag on long scooter runs. They’re nice when they work, but that’s about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom