Thinking about joining the CCR club - where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merida Cave Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking about moving from sidemount to CCR and I'm just beginning to do my research. Any tips on where to start? I pretty much live in caves so that would be the primary purpose. I'm guessing dry suit due to amount of time underwater?

I'm thinking about moving from sidemount to CCR and I'm just beginning to do my research. Any tips on where to start? I pretty much live in caves so that would be the primary purpose. I'm guessing dry suit due to amount of time underwater?
If you’re in Merida, the answer is probably a Sidewinder and a drysuit. Otherwise, the options are slightly more varied depending on the caves you’re actively diving in.

@kierentec posted this thread in 2020. It is a good place to start.

Going through the same journey and landing on a DiveRite Optima CM

Yeah, so I did a bit of research and Richard Harris did a great video series. I think I’m sticking with side mount for now. For me it boiled down to these factors (in case it helps anyone else)

• Cost vs benefit - my primary driver was to hit the deeper caves that have yet to be explored. I really enjoy doing that but the cost for proper training, gear, upkeep, etc, I can’t really justify it.
  • Task overload - I’m a good diver, I’m not sure I’m a great diver meaning that, I’m not sure I’m ready to tackle the additional responsibilities and management of a system like this. In my research this was called out by a few people.
  • Deaths related to diver error / mistakes - the price of failure oddly seems too high for me. I’m very confident I can do it, I’m more concerned about the one time I miss something.
  • Personality and style - I’m careful, calm, and logical…. I don’t know if I’m detail oriented enough to own one of these. Call it a personal self assessment and limitation.
All in all I feel good about the decision and a huge thank you to everyone who gave me ideas, data, things to read, etc. I might still do the training just to see what it’s about, but for now I think I’ll be multi tank, tri mix, sidemount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom