Thinking about going to backplate & wing config for travel, what do I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many awesome responses, thanks guys. I've been Googling for something like a walkthrough of the BP&W system like maybe a description of all of the components and the role they play but all I am finding is advertisements and they seem to be really selling one aspect or another of the product. Is there a non biased, education based place I can learn more about this type or hardware? I feel that if I gain more knowledge about the BP&W hardware and the role each piece plays I will have a better idea of what I am looking for.

And yes, I certainly plan to take lots of specialty courses to improve my skills and knowledge in different areas but I'd like a bit of a head start on the equipment learning.

I'm sure someone will post a link - or Tobin will chime in - shortly after I finish typing this...

Here's a link on configuring a BP/W rig: DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate

There's not many "components" to gain knowledge about, and their roles are pretty straightforward

• Backplate: tanks, wing, and harness attach to this; steel, aluminum, nylon/plastic versions available; all manufacturers offerings are largely more similar than different
  • 10-blackplate_steel.jpg
  • Wing: aircell to establish buoyancy via filling/dumping air via corrugated inflator hose. Single-tank and double-tank versions. There are some touted as being good for both singles/doubles... consensus seems to be they end up being less than ideal for either. Horseshoe and donut style available. Some have bolt-holes to attach to plate, others have slots for the cam band straps to be threaded through the wing and plate
  • 10-eclipse30.jpg
  • Harness: at it's simplest it's a single, continuous length of 2" webbing that comprises both shoulders and waist strap and allows diver to don the kit, while also accommodating several D-rings. A crotch strap is also part of the harness; this prevents the rig from riding up and is also used when diver is diving with a DPV (scooter)
  • D-rings; typical recommendation is for 5; left shoulder, right shoulder, left hip, butt, and crotch.
  • Buckle; typically metal, on the waist to secure the system; common to have a second buckle threaded on the right hip side to secure a canister light
  • Halcyon_backplate_harness_300.jpg
  • Weight system: your choice of weightbelt, harness, or integrated pockets; consideration should be given to amount of weight as well as placement of weight vis-a-vis trim considerations
  • Cam-bands: two straps to attach a single tank to the system (doubles are attached via two bolts from the tank bands that go through two holes in the plate. Those holes are a standard distance apart across manufacturers) Some manufacturers require a tank adapter for attaching cam bands, some don't
  • STA-Weighted.jpg
  • Storage pack: (optional) mounted to BP as way to store an SMB/lift bag
  • halcyon.storage.pak.png

Put it all together and it looks something like this...

10310040_main.png

Other considerations:

• Some rigs have/need single-tank adapters (weighted or non-weighted)
  • Some rigs have versions that are adjustable via additional buckles, straps, etc
  • Some have ability to adjust a single, continuous strap
  • Some rigs have padding on shoulder straps and/or backplate
  • Some manufacturers offer different size plates; most people can manage with a regular/standard size
  • There are all manner of attachable weights, weight pouches, pockets, accessories, etc available

Last edited:
Many awesome responses, thanks guys. I've been Googling for something like a walkthrough of the BP&W system like maybe a description of all of the components and the role they play but all I am finding is advertisements and they seem to be really selling one aspect or another of the product. Is there a non biased, education based place I can learn more about this type or hardware? I feel that if I gain more knowledge about the BP&W hardware and the role each piece plays I will have a better idea of what I am looking for.

My advice is to buy a *simple* *complete* BP&W from a single vendor. All the parts will work together. Obsessing about each individual component and trying to source each separately often ends up with a less than ideal result, and at greater cost than purchasing a "package deal" It's like PC's, buy one built and ready to run the first time, then maybe consider buying a tower and motherboard, and video card, drive controllers and storage separately.

Often the only real way to learn about exactly what you want, vs what you think you want as a result of "extensive on line research" is to buy one of whatever and use it. The good news is today it's pretty hard to buy a *bad* BP&W, particularly if you keep it simple.

And yes, I certainly plan to take lots of specialty courses to improve my skills and knowledge in different areas but I'd like a bit of a head start on the equipment learning.

I'm not opposed to training, but my advice is to dive, *alot*. There is no substitute for time in the water.

Tobin

Reactions: RJP
I'm sure someone will post a link - or Tobin will chime in - shortly after I finish typing this...

My advice is...

And... there it is!

:D

+ echo on Tobin's thoughts on training.

RJP, really appreciate this breakdown. Your willingness to drop knowledge bombs is appreciated :)

I'm not opposed to training, but my advice is to dive, *alot*. There is no substitute for time in the water.

Tobin

I aim to do it as often as possible, being located in the midwest adds an additional hurdle or two (also another reason to learn specialties such as drysuit)

I got my bp/w from Jim Lapenta here on scubaboard. He answered a lot of my questions via email very quickly, and was a huge help in getting it set up correctly.

RJP, really appreciate this breakdown. Your willingness to drop knowledge bombs is appreciated :)

Be careful; anything I post is just as likely to be a grenade.

:D

I have flown with my steel BP&W a few times now, and I don't find it a problem. In terms of size, it takes up far less space than my old jacket BCD. This is not much use to anyone across the pond, but I often fly with Easyjet (a European low cost airline). They have a fantastic allowance on hand luggage - as long as it within 56 X 45 X 25 cm and you can lift it into the overhead locker, there is no weight limit. Standard hold luggage is 20kg, but you can buy more. The BP&W goes in my hold luggage, with my boots, wetsuit, fins, masks, DSMBs etc. There is usually enough spare for a few other bits. Regs, computers, torches go in the hand luggage, along with my clothes. I could probably save a bit of weight with an aluminium BP, but the weight of a steel plate doesn't really cause me a problem.

For warm waters dives, steel vs aluminum plate:
- if you don't want to play with weights, a steel plate probably will be an exact weight to the al80 tank and 3mm wetsuit (granted, you are not obese)
- if you like to use shoulder and hip pockets for weights to dial in the balance, aluminum will work the best, you'd use 2 to 6 pounds on top of that in salt waters
- with a steel plate you can control the balance with pushing the tank up or down, however, that has its own limits
- aluminum is better against the salt water but I doubt the difference is big maintenance wise
- if you are airing out your rig, aluminum plate is better because you can use hotel's clothes hangers, wet rig + steel is too heavy for some (though, you can combine a few at a time)

Single tank adapters:
- if you use STA, your tank becomes better fixed, doesn't roll left and right when you incline, specifically if you dive a steel tank
- without STA, if your bladder is full, it restricts the tank travel somewhat but on an empty bladder the tank flaps around a tad more
- however, STA raises the tank up a bit from the plate an inch or so, this may feel like the tank is heavier when you roll, kind of, as if it is on a longer lever, acting as with more force, feeling more heavy

I have traveled many times with a steel BPW. I only don't take it if I know I have steel tanks available from the dive op as a steel tank and steel plate would be too much weight, so I take my AL plate.

If I had to just have one, it would be the steel plate.

I've got no dog in this fight, but after traveling with a BP/W for many years, I found something at BTS this year that was really exciting. Check out the xDeep Ghost BC. 5 lbs...

Back
Top Bottom