Thinking about Bali...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessejean

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone been to Bali recently? Any adamant opions, good or bad? I have heard of political unrest, but how bad is it for us divers? Liveaboard good idea? From what I've read, the island is [retty populated, and includes a lot of high priced resorts...not really what I'm looking for :)

Thank for any help!

Jess

Hi Jess!

Yesterday I got an e mail from my friend who just arrived in Bali. He is a non diver who goes to Bali several times a year on business. He stays in Ubud, which I would rate as the 3rd most tourist-y town in Bali. He says the place is absolutely deserted of tourists!

There is no visible political unrest; Bali is primarily Hindu and the bombers are Moslem who came over from Java; to strike at both the western tourist trade and at the Balinese because Java and Bali have a long long history of bad blood between them.

Bali is quite populated in the tourist areas, and driving takes time and patience, but there are still many lovely areas to escape "the scene", including Amed on the North East coast, which has lovely diving and inexpensive choices for lodging....

http://www.naturalguide.org/regiondetail.asp?catID=37&region=3

http://www.baliadvertiser.biz/articles/explorer/2004/amed.html

We have fond memories of our stay at Eka Purnama Cottages...

http://www.eka-purnama.com/cottages.htm

From Amed a local fisherman will love to take you over to Lombok or some other small islands in a traditional boat.

Selamut Jalan! (an Indonesian salutation that translates "blessings on your walk/journey!")
Pamela

Hmm, I think it's Selamat Jalan :) (for bon voyage) and Selamat Datang Ke Bali (for Welcome to Bali!)

I visited Bali a few months after the 2nd bombing. No, there's no unrest at all. I soaked in the culture, the amazing temples and amazing resorts (stayed at 3 different ones during my visit). And the dive at Menjangan was fantastic! Simply my most memorable trip in 2005.

So dear Jess, don't let the rumours stop you.

Thanks! Malaysia, do you know of any of the cheaper places to stay in Bali that are on the beach or at least close to diving?

There are lots of cheap places to stay in Bali. I never stay in expensive resorts. In Asia, you can always find backpacker style guesthouses. I think my place in Tulamben(home of the amazing Liberty wreck) was $10cdn. That was 2 months before the 1st bomb and the place was beautiful. The trick is not to arrange your accomodations until you get there. Maybe You'll want to prebook a decent place for the 1st day you arrive. It sucks to shop around when you've got all your luggage and dive gear with you but once you're there, just go around the tourist districts in each town you go to and find the place that looks good and offers a good price.

If you're just going for diving, you won't want to be in Ubud because it's nowhere near the water. It's was my favourite nondiving town though. You'll have a ball. Check out Nusa Penida and the south east coast too. Be wary fo diving around the full moon because of the currents. Strongest that I've dived by far.

In Padang Bai there is accomodation near the beach for less than 5.00 US. Lots of good diving. There are heaps of places to eat at along the beach. Definately don't do a live aboard for Bali, there are too many other cheaper options plus you are not stuck on a boat at night. Plus there are 3 beaches in town.

As the other posters indicate it is pretty reasonable to stay near Tulamben as well but not anything going on there at nite and you can buzz up there in the morning with one of the dive shops in Padang Bai at no extra charge.

Bali is a easy place to travel with a minimum of hassle. Many speak English and is really no political tension here.

check:
gekko divers
water worx
at least 3 other dive shops

I prefer water worx

There is more info and pics on my web page if interested

JumpinJess:
Thanks! Malaysia, do you know of any of the cheaper places to stay in Bali that are on the beach or at least close to diving?
I can only draw from my own experience. I've stayed at Mangrove Beach Sanctuary Resort some meters away from Sanur beach. May I say, for the $25/nightd, this is the best resort I've stayed in for that price, ever!

In general, Sanur is the jumping-off point to Nusa Penida and Lembongan. I've never been to Tulamben or Amed, but I suppose the dives there are just a short boat or swim away.

For pictures of Mangrove Beach Resort, pls check my signature. My other two hotel stays were at Putri Ayu Cottages ($35/night) in Ubud and Swissbel Bali Aga in Nusa Dua ($60/night).

In Amed, across the road from Eka Purnama cottages there is a small ship wreck right off the beach. It's like a three minute walk from the hotel, but you do have to go down a little cliff to get to the water.

I last stayed at Eka Purnama four years ago; it was 80,000 rp a night, or about $8 US.

Malaysia-I, I clicked on both your links and didn't see photos of the Mangrove Beach resort, where should I have looked? How long ago did you stay there at $25 a night?

I am leaving for Bali in one week!!! ADU!
Pamela

opalobsidian:
Malaysia-I, I clicked on both your links and didn't see photos of the Mangrove Beach resort, where should I have looked? How long ago did you stay there at $25 a night?
My apology, maybe my web design was confusing. The link to all the 4 resorts that I have experienced with is below:

http://www.uluwatu.org/resort-review.shtml

Yes, I stayed at Mangrove Beach Sanctuary for Rp250.000 offered by this person named Nyoman Triijata of balidives.com - he can be contacted at <trijata@balidives.com>

Have fun with your search!

DO go to bali, its really nice.
I lived in bali until last year, but still frequent there, got a house there so no need to stay at hotel.
but if need accomodation, there are A LOT of cheap hotels to go.
on the diving part I can tell u a lot and lengthy statements here, but just to save me the trouble, why dont u visit our diving club website for all information regarding diving bali: www.kapalselam.org

No need to do LOB in bali, not worthed, everything is in the reach of small boat.
Places that I recommend are:
1. Tulamben, u can either stay in Mimpi resort or Matahari (cheaper), but i recommend u dive from matahari. Its okay eventhou u stay at mimpi.
2. Padang Bai, use WATERWORXX, main reason: first owner is my friend. second: cause i know they are good!
3. Amed, Nusa Penida, Gili Selang. You can do this with Waterworxx.
4. Nusa Penida, if u r leaving from sanur, I suggest go with Bali Scuba. (bit expensive but what u pay is what u get)
5. Menjangan, stay at mimpi resort (really nice place, got hot spring pools), diving from Mimpi or go to Labuan Lalang to charter ur own boat.

In anycase, if u decide to do number 1-4, please mention our club name, so that they know that u are referred by us, maybe u'll get a discount.
have fun and enjoy!!

Cheers,
bodiver13@gmail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom