Thinking about Bali...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JumpinJess:
Has anyone been to Bali recently? Any adamant opions, good or bad? I have heard of political unrest, but how bad is it for us divers? Liveaboard good idea? From what I've read, the island is [retty populated, and includes a lot of high priced resorts...not really what I'm looking for :)

Thank for any help!

Jess

I dove in Bali last August and November. Visibility was better in August. I stayed in Tulamben and did almost all my diving there. Did a side trip to Puri Jati and Secret Bay for "muck diving".

I went there in November about two weeks after the most recent bombing in Kuta. It severly impacted tourism. I did not stay in Kuta except to overnight on arrival.

Tulamben is easy diving, either off the small local boats called "jukungs" or shore dives. It is the most relaxing diving I have ever done. Tulamben has a unique service that is no place else in Bali. Porters carry your dive gear to and from the shore dive and boat launch entry points. It's required as it is a means for the locals to make money. The price is included in your tank rentals.

The diving is good. Plenty of marine life with a good variety of species. The wreck of the USAT Liberty is teaming with marine life and is a shore dive. You could dive it every day for a month and constantly see something different.

Bali is the least expensive diving that I have ever done. I stayed at the Paradise Palm Beach Bungalows, which was nothing fancy.

I realize opinions are relative and that's what makes it difficult to make choices. I base this opinion on: comparing Bali to all the other places I have dove, the variety of marine life and ease of underwater photography (no strong currents). I did almost all solo dives my three weeks there in November except for the first three or four. I went on a jukung with only the boat operator who often did not speak English. All he needed to know was the dive site. They were always there when I surfaced.

I think I spent about $1300. (not incl. airfare) for three weeks which included my diving (tank rentals), my room, my meals and a few local beers. That also included a day trip to Puri Jati and the US$80. round trip transportation from Kuta to Tulamben which takes about 3 hours each way. That's pretty hard to top.

Add another US$7. for a one hour massage. I had one every night I was there.

Emiko Shibuka (Japanese) runs the dive shop (Dive Paradise) and her Indonesian husband runs the hotel (Paradise Palm Beach Bungalows) which are on the same property. She is a great lady. I met her on my first trip last August which was a package deal through a dive company in Kuta. I arranged my second trip directly with Emiko and cut out the middleman. I saved a lot of money. She gave me a flat room rate for one month. I overnighted in Kuta at the Green Garden Hotel (close to the airport and free pickup) due to a late arrival. A driver was waiting for me holding a sign with my name on it. Emiko had her vehicle get me in the morning and bring me to the hotel.

I have nothing negative to say about Tulamben, Bali diving. Everything went smoothly.

I flew on Japan Airlines whose service is excellent.

Hi Bodiver,

I am going to dive in Tulamben this coming July. How much per nite to stay at Mimpi resort or Matahari resort? and how much do they charge per dive? Hopefully i can find alot of Nudibranch there.. :)

thanks,
Ray

Manta ray,
Mimpi resort costs around US$50, depending on season.
while Matahari will only cost u around US$25.
And if you dive from Matahari, tank and weight cost around US$7-8/dive.
This price is not so expensive but yet not too cheap, we got much cheaper than these prices, mainly because owners are our friends and we had our own club's rate.
Please visit our club website: www.kapalselam.org

good luck!

cheers,
bodiver13@gmail.com

Hello Bo!

Terimah kasih banyak for posting such helpful information!

The prices of the hotels and for diving is much more expensive on the websites of the businesses you mention in your posts. Do you get cheaper price because you are locals or can I, a touris, get those same prices if I approach the businesses in person instead of trying to book online?

Looking forward to being in Bali next week!

Oh, and by the way, was Bali affected by the big earthquake near Yogakarta? Are you possibly on Java now?

Sampai jumpah!
Pamela

Pamela,
the price i mentioned above is for you even a foreigner.
Just come to bali and then arrange urself to those places. No need to make reservation as now is not a high season and there are much more supplies than demands.
Do you need help to plan ur trip? if so let me know ur timeframe, destination, type of accomodation and what kind of stuff u want to do, i'll help u with more information..
Yes, I am in Java now, but not affected by the quake at all. Thx for asking :) Bali also has not been affected by the quake..

you can ask me more detail here or email me at bodiver13@gmail.com.

cheers and have fun!
Bodiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom