http://www.diveparadise.com

Think the Port will be Closed Sat & Sun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

  • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Messages
6,674
Reaction score
2,660
Location
Houston, TX
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Where do you get the idea that even Monday is at risk? What are you lookiing at? Port will be open Sunday and Monday, and possibly even Saturday unless front stalls and the current forecast changes
View attachment 572017

I was looking at the wind gusts over 20. Unfortunately, I wasn't looking at the wind direction. Does this now qualify me to be the new port captain? Lol
 

Zman96

Contributor
Messages
991
Reaction score
317
Location
Illinois
# of dives
200 - 499
Does the east component of the North wind on Saturday help? I would think, in my novice way, that the wind being out of the northeast should be able to allow for diving, except maybe up north.
 

DandyDon

Old men ought to be explorers
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
51,390
Reaction score
6,124
Location
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Does the east component of the North wind on Saturday help?
Not much. The forecast is wind from the northeast, and the channel runs from southwest to northeast. Even tho a few degrees difference between the two, it's still a pretty direct effect.
 

gopbroek

Contributor
Messages
5,412
Reaction score
6,607
Location
Lewisville TX
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The current Windguru forecast has not changed much in the last 4 days. Friday late afternoon early evening the winds are predicted to shift west of due north with enough velocity to close the port. By early morning it should shift to the east.
upload_2020-3-5_18-42-0.png

The big question is Saturday morning. On its own @ NNE there would be no reason to shut the port and the NNW winds on Friday night were not that prolonged to cause much of a residual swell. That being, the current PC seems to hesitate in re-opening the port after a closure. I would hope to dive by 9:30 but if She does not reopen it by 11 AM I would start a bar crawl on the east side. She lacks any justification in keeping it closed Sunday.
Lost 3 days of my vacation last week to a closure, last Saturdays forecast resembles this coming Saturday but the channel was frothy from 2 days of sustained winds last week. Hopefully the Nortes will peter out for the season
 

DandyDon

Old men ought to be explorers
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
51,390
Reaction score
6,124
Location
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I guess the port is closed, maybe all day? The wind has been out of the north and the airport just reported a significant increase in wind with a drop in temperature.

upload_2020-3-6_14-14-59.png
 

gopbroek

Contributor
Messages
5,412
Reaction score
6,607
Location
Lewisville TX
# of dives
1000 - 2499
You don't think a 16-22 knot wind blowing straight down the channel would close the port?
About 20 degrees off north to the east doesn't seem to really be an issue, it can sustain closure but on its own it does not seem to have a large effect.My experience, will see. Personally I hope they get to dive, I spent three days beached last week (legitimately) . Below Tunich it should be OK.
 

DandyDon

Old men ought to be explorers
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
51,390
Reaction score
6,124
Location
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
About 20 degrees off north to the east doesn't seem to really be an issue, it can sustain closure but on its own it does not seem to have a large effect.My experience, will see. Personally I hope they get to dive, I spent three days beached last week (legitimately) . Below Tunich it should be OK.
Note that my WG setting are on MPH.

Looking at the angle of the winds at 18 to 26 mph versus the channel, I'd call that the worst-case scenario...

upload_2020-3-6_20-7-27.png

upload_2020-3-6_20-6-38.png
 
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Top Bottom