Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While diving in greece a few years back i found something that looked like a torpedo. It was in about 25 feet of water all rusty and such. Since it was a very remote spot, i still think it's probably there.

I have found weights , a really nice dive knife, golf balls ,anchor and about 20' of rope.glasses, fishing lures.

The most fun item for me was a set of keys.

A dozen or so years ago I was helping friends load the boat after water-skiing. Another boat was unloading people and gear at the end of the ramp dock. A young lady in a red bikini tripped getting out of the boat and dropped her keys in the drink. Her husband/BF proceeded to give her the worst verbal reaming I've ever witnessed in my life. She wanted to try to retrieve them and he said they were gone forever. He was screaming that "Nobody could ever find those keys!" We were ready to run over because we thought he was going to start beating her. It was bad. REALLY bad. She proceeded to walk home in tears barefoot in a bikini. The piece-O-crap guy threw his gear in his friend's rig and they drove off with the boat in the other direction. Since I'd been skiing I didn't have any dive gear and it was turning dusk. I only lived 1/2 mile away so I raced home and grabbed mask, fins, and threw a flashlight in a ziplock bag because my divelight had a burned-out bulb. It was getting dark fast so as fast as I could I went off the end of the dock. It was only about 15' to the bottom but being a boat ramp area viz was almost zero. On my second breath I did probably my best surface dive of my life because it carried me all the way down and I almost face-planted right on the pile of keys! Back at the surface it was easy to find their car - an S-10 or S-15 pickup. My sister had tagged along and wrote a full-page letter to both the guy and the girl. To the girl she said leave the piece-of-$**t and to the guy she let him know just exactly how worthless he is (she had witnessed the whole scene) Oh, and that it had taken her brother less than a minute to retrieve the keys. We left the note under the keys and locked them in the truck.

-Ben

Last week in Roatan ... we were doing a site called Insidious Reef. On the way out we were noticing that there was a lot of junk in the water ... floating bits of plastic, a boot, what looked like bits of clothing ... kind've weird flotsam for that area. Got out to the dive site in fairly rough seas and the boat crew couldn't find the mooring. So we decided to "live boat" it. Dropped down to the top of the reef at about 45 fsw and were swimming along when, suddenly, we found the mooring line ... wrapped around a boat propellor and shaft.

After the dive, the DM was asking us if anybody found the boat ... he wasn't kidding ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Last week in Roatan ... we were doing a site called Insidious Reef. On the way out we were noticing that there was a lot of junk in the water ... floating bits of plastic, a boot, what looked like bits of clothing ... kind've weird flotsam for that area. Got out to the dive site in fairly rough seas and the boat crew couldn't find the mooring. So we decided to "live boat" it. Dropped down to the top of the reef at about 45 fsw and were swimming along when, suddenly, we found the mooring line ... wrapped around a boat propellor and shaft.

After the dive, the DM was asking us if anybody found the boat ... he wasn't kidding ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Had anybody found it?

Firebrand:
Had anybody found it?

No ... just past where the mooring line lay the reef dropped down a wall that went deeper than I need to go ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ouch. Somebody had a loose shaft coupling, no safety stopper and fouled their prop pulling the shaft right out of the boat laving a large empty hole in the stern. And apparently no taperd plugs and sledge on board to deal with such circumstance.

There's a lesson in there for boaters.

Did you raise the mooring line? I'm going to try and locate and raise the ends of several mooring chains in our marina this weekend. Heavier than normal ice, removed the floats over the winter.

Groundhog246:
Did you raise the mooring line?

The DM went down with an SMB and line, intending to tag the mooring line and shoot the bag. I helped him tie the prop shaft to the end of the mooring line, and by the time I completed my dive the mooring line was back on the surface (tied to an empty plastic jug) and the propellor and shaft were lashed to the bow of our dive boat.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Was there any word in the local news of anyone missing from a boating accident? This seems like it would be creepy that it didn't make the news if people are missing.

I've found megladon teeth, civil war items, hand blown onion bottles, about 30 guns used in crimes, safes, pipe bombs, motorcycles, bicycles, cars, about $1000.00 worth of scrap copper tubing, many watches and other jewelry (diving rope swings), "marital aids", hancuffs, propellers, 2 nazi boots out of the U-85, an armload of rods and reels and enough lures to equip a tackle shop and an urn of ashes from a child (which were left where they were found), loads of dive gear, tools, boats, a bundle of letters from an attorney wrapped in a cloth that was pierced with hundreds of needles and pins and my best find was an antique ring that had 7 saphires and 9 diamonds in it (can you say rebreather?) Unfortunately my old lady saw it so you know the rest of the story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom