Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FatCat:
What, if anything, have you found and salvaged on your dives? I'm not talking about scavenging wrecks, I'm just curious to know what items, if any, all of you have stumbled upon while diving.

Here's my list to date :

4 kg of lead weights
2 masks
1 snorkel
1 safety sausage
1 bottle of champagne
1 dive knife with integrated bottle opener
assorted litter

I once found my *** with both hands , just to prove all those people wrong :) :)

I found a Volkswagen last thursday.

I found a bunch of Reef Markers this weekend. I think someone lost them over the edge of their boat. I don't think anybody needs to drop 8 of those things to mark one spot!!

when I was in the Navy in the early '80's, I was stationed on Midway Island and besides getting a great shell collection, I found a silver spoon handle, a porcelain soup bowl, some spent 20mm & 50mm shell casings and a 50mm bullet.
The shells and the bullet may actually be from WWII, but no way of actually verifying it.

Skull and bones while digging around in the crew quarters of a Maru in Truk. A brass clock that while the face and glass were gone the hands and guts were intact on the same dive. Here at home a case of illegal bullets WWII vintage near the old dry docks in Kingston. I brought a few back and showed them to a gun collector who gave me the scoop on them. Hand blown black glass beer bottles, an axe with the handle intact about 1 meter down in the mud. The guy at the Royal Ont. Museum figured it about 150 years old by the way the head was made. I talked to him to find out how to preserve the wood.

1) Large whale fillet/dive knife in sheath-Bonaire
2) 6# weight and mexican kids disk toy- Cozumel
3) Large fist size chunk of blue colored Quartz,hubbys snorkle and C.I. frying pan -
Portage Quarry Ohio
4) 14 Kt gold bracelet- Gilboa Quarry Ohio
5) 15# sand anchor- Higgins Lake MI.
6) Broken Rolex watch-Bahamas
7) Antigue street light bulb- St. Clair River MI.

THE BEST TREASURE I HAVE FOUND DIVING IS PEACE AND SERENITY IN A CHAOTIC WORLD
Loretta

My larger divelight is a gift from my SCUBA "Elmer", who found it at the bottom of Lake Travis near Austin. While participating in the annual underwater cleanup of that same lake, at Hippy Hollow Park, in addition to tons of beer bottles and lots of 55-gallon drums, I found a battery powered... um, well, it wasn't another flashlight. People familiar with Hippy Hollow Park's dress code and the demographics of most of its visitors will understand the significance of the find. Supposedly the pictures of me coming out of the water with it have been destroyed, but there's enough giggling that goes on behind my back to make me suspicious...

Diving off of Key West, at an old and completely decayed wreck of a wooden Spanish ship, I thought I had found a 6-pound cannon ball. That is, until I got back on the diveboat and saw the brass loops where the fishing line gets tied on. I wound up giving it to a good friend who has a collection of spherical objects in his counselling office, and it now resides on its own pedestal, just waiting for small hands to caress it.

Fossils!!! I went diving with ReefGuy this past Saturday and we found shark teeth (we each found a meg tooth!) a piece of a whale rib bone, a piece of bone from a birds wing, a puffer fish tooth, stingray teeth, and stingray barbs. This was my first trip to Venice Beach for shark tooth hunting, and I had a blast!

Firebrand:
Fossils!!! I went diving with ReefGuy this past Saturday and we found shark teeth (we each found a meg tooth!) a piece of a whale rib bone, a piece of bone from a birds wing, a puffer fish tooth, stingray teeth, and stingray barbs. This was my first trip to Venice Beach for shark tooth hunting, and I had a blast!

That's outstanding, Firebrand! Is there any news on the planned beach defacement?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom