Things To Do After Morning Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prima (top of El Cantil) has been closed for at least 5 years!

Well, damn. Guess how long since I've been to Cozumel? Little over 5 years. I must have been one of the last people to eat there. Thanks for the update!

Get comfortable- this turned out longer than expected.

We can avoid the need for a nitrogen nap by diving Nitrox. I'm less tired after 2-3 hours underwater than when I'm diving air. It literally takes your vacation back from the nap monster. But a nitrogen nap after a dive is probably the best nap there is.

Our dive op (Aldora) drops you off across the street from Casa Mexicana. We usually go rinse off at the room, set our Wetsuits and swim wear out to dry and head to lunch. The Thirsty Cougar is one of our favorite lunch spots because all the food is really good and they always have Bohemia Obscura...the best beer in the world. Everything is good, but my favorite is the Poblano Chicken burrito. I'll have that a couple of times a week. Across the street from the Cougar is Lobster Shack and Quatros Tacos, and behind it is El Coffee Cozumel. You can't Go wrong with either.

A little further walk will take you to the Cozumel Burrito battlegrounds between Crazy King Burrito and Gordito Burritos so you will need to pick your favorite there. One may have shut down from Covid, not sure. Between the two is Zermatt Bakery for fresh baked goods, the chocolate chip cookies are great, just not as sweet as their American cousins.

Since you have been to Lobster Shack, no trip to Coz would be complete without adding your qualified opinion regarding which sammich is better- Lobster Shack Lobster Rolls or the Lobster Bacon Sandwhich at La Chef. You can only prefer one and it will define who you are on Coz forevermore. Changes are not allowed so please consider carefully. You can be a Lobster Shack person or a La Chef person, but not both. (My secret is Im still considering my options....for years...)

There is also a trip through Mega, a couple of blocks South of CM. If a super Walmart sold scooters and appliances, it might be close. CM will have a small refrigerator that I usually fill up with Bohemia Obscura...it's only the best beer in the world...and pineapple flavored coconut water, and I buy lots of individually wrapped granola bars, cookies, and fruit for the surface interval and to feed the boat crew and other divers. Walking the aisles of Mega is a cultural experience in itself to see a bit of daily life in Coz. The conveyor belt that takes you to the second floor with the grooves to hold shopping carts is interesting.

The square- Benito Juarez park is down across from the ferry pier. It's a hot spot for touristy crap but the better deals are farther back off Melgar. Casa Dennis restaurant is in the square and is consistantly good. Order The Sexy Shrimp, its not on the menu but it's shrimp stuffed with bacon and cheese. CD is not what I would call a lunch spot, but keep walking East and at the end of the square is Michoacán Ice Cream. A vanilla ice cream bar and a Piña colada drink (no alcohol....it's an ice cream shop) makes me an even fatter happier man. There is also a Michoacán below Mega.

The churro cart in the square is ok, but there is a guy on a bicycle who has better Churros.

As far as Cozumel staple adventures-

A NIGHT DIVE- even better a twilight dive to watch the colors change followed by a true night dive. Like big cities, the really cool stuff come out at night. Octopi...octopuses...octo whatever the plural of octopus is are by far our favorite. Dont miss this if you have not done a night dive.

Climb the lighthouse and introduce yourself to the crocodiles at Punta Sur, enjoy the beach there, then swing around to the East side for a stop at Coconuts. I have heard of a margarita bar next to coconuts that has life changing Margaritas...but for the like of me can't think of where it would be. We will have a designated driver and rent a car, but I have heard of renting a cab for a day an have your own personal chauffeur. Do not drink and drive on Coz, there are about 900 ways that ends up going very very bad. Also get all the insurance you can on the rental car and make sure it covers lost wages of the person that pulls out in front of you. You wait at the police station until those damages are paid.

Ceilo tours for the starfish.

Tequila tours...not my thing. Bait and switch tequila is not uncommon. The tequila you buy may not the tequila you taste. Call it the gringo tax.

The chocolate stuff could be fun...but I'm fat so duhhhhhh.

Ahhhhhhhh. Almost forgot- the cruise ships are slowly making there way back. People watching. My preferred spot is the 2nd able off Melgar at The Thirsty Cougar. I need to make a drinking game of the things to look for, but I really don't need a game to enjoy ice cold Bohemia Obscura...the best beer in the world. No trip to Coz would be complete without sighting-

1. the Cozumel Mini Van- A family of 5 on one scooter. A 5ish year old stands in front of Dad, Dad drives the thing, a 3ish year old is sandwhiched between mom and Dad, then mom, and a baby in a back pack. Added points if there is a dog sitting in front of the oldest child. Added added points if an entitled American from a nanny state has a meltdown about how unsafe it is, that none are wearing helmets, why does the Mexican government allow this, should they report them to (insert American agency here)

2. Horribly drunk cruisers- add points for the degree of sunburn, more points for drinking a plastic yard of gasoline flavored Margarita, even more points for a balloon hat, and the ultimate drunk cruiser one flip flop, neon white butt crack or boob showing, being helped along singing Born in the USA, and wearing a 3 foot sombrero (because they popped their Ballon hat) with sparkly large letters that say MEXICO.

3. really great people...even cruisers... we have met people from all over the world on dive boats or in Coz. Everyone has a story, learning what life is like in their part of the world is always interesting...even Canadians.

4. Count the phrases the shop owners will use to get you to come into their stores. Almost free, special for you, free t shirt, free shot, free beer, etc.

5. Some guy on a corner selling "real" Cuban cigars....and anything else you want to smoke.

Dinner- easy walk from CM. don't miss the Lionfish Marsala at New Especias. It's not on the menu but it's the best thing I have ever put in my mouth. Their house Chardonnay is Australian and pairs well in the event you don't have a Bohemia Obscura...the best beer in the world...in front of you. Seriously- don't miss this.

Guidos- farther walk down on Melgar- staple Itallian food. Everything is good. Nicer restaurant.

La Perlita- this will take a cab ride but the coconut crusted Lionfish, Lionfish ceviche, garlic grilled lobster, are our standards.

Cervasaria Punta Sur- easy walk a few blocks behind CM. Craft brewery and great wood fired pizza owned by a former DM at Aldora and Her husband. The amber is really good, but not Bohemia Obscura good... its the best beer in the world.

Lots of food, No wonder I'm fat. Funny thing is if I eat breakfast at CM, I'm usually not that hungry by lunch. Lol, but I can't resist. The food really is that good.

Please drink a Bohemia Obscura for me and enjoy everything that Cozumel has to offer. It has a feel unlike any place in the world I've ever been. When I step off the ferry or the plan, it feels more like home than Oklahoma.

POP QUIZ CLASS- what's the best beer in the world??

Safe travels everyone ,
Jay

I suddenly have an overwhelming desire to drink a Bohemia Obscura even though I've never had one. Weird. Nice list, I will be checking out some of your rec's myself.

My personal record for the mini-van is 6, spotted from the balcony of Vista del Mar. Standard configuration except mom had a baby in each arm.

Get comfortable- this turned out longer than expected.

We can avoid the need for a nitrogen nap by diving Nitrox. I'm less tired after 2-3 hours underwater than when I'm diving air. It literally takes your vacation back from the nap monster. But a nitrogen nap after a dive is probably the best nap there is.

Our dive op (Aldora) drops you off across the street from Casa Mexicana. We usually go rinse off at the room, set our Wetsuits and swim wear out to dry and head to lunch. The Thirsty Cougar is one of our favorite lunch spots because all the food is really good and they always have Bohemia Obscura...the best beer in the world. Everything is good, but my favorite is the Poblano Chicken burrito. I'll have that a couple of times a week. Across the street from the Cougar is Lobster Shack and Quatros Tacos, and behind it is El Coffee Cozumel. You can't Go wrong with either.

A little further walk will take you to the Cozumel Burrito battlegrounds between Crazy King Burrito and Gordito Burritos so you will need to pick your favorite there. One may have shut down from Covid, not sure. Between the two is Zermatt Bakery for fresh baked goods, the chocolate chip cookies are great, just not as sweet as their American cousins.

Since you have been to Lobster Shack, no trip to Coz would be complete without adding your qualified opinion regarding which sammich is better- Lobster Shack Lobster Rolls or the Lobster Bacon Sandwhich at La Chef. You can only prefer one and it will define who you are on Coz forevermore. Changes are not allowed so please consider carefully. You can be a Lobster Shack person or a La Chef person, but not both. (My secret is Im still considering my options....for years...)

There is also a trip through Mega, a couple of blocks South of CM. If a super Walmart sold scooters and appliances, it might be close. CM will have a small refrigerator that I usually fill up with Bohemia Obscura...it's only the best beer in the world...and pineapple flavored coconut water, and I buy lots of individually wrapped granola bars, cookies, and fruit for the surface interval and to feed the boat crew and other divers. Walking the aisles of Mega is a cultural experience in itself to see a bit of daily life in Coz. The conveyor belt that takes you to the second floor with the grooves to hold shopping carts is interesting.

The square- Benito Juarez park is down across from the ferry pier. It's a hot spot for touristy crap but the better deals are farther back off Melgar. Casa Dennis restaurant is in the square and is consistantly good. Order The Sexy Shrimp, its not on the menu but it's shrimp stuffed with bacon and cheese. CD is not what I would call a lunch spot, but keep walking East and at the end of the square is Michoacán Ice Cream. A vanilla ice cream bar and a Piña colada drink (no alcohol....it's an ice cream shop) makes me an even fatter happier man. There is also a Michoacán below Mega.

The churro cart in the square is ok, but there is a guy on a bicycle who has better Churros.

As far as Cozumel staple adventures-

A NIGHT DIVE- even better a twilight dive to watch the colors change followed by a true night dive. Like big cities, the really cool stuff come out at night. Octopi...octopuses...octo whatever the plural of octopus is are by far our favorite. Dont miss this if you have not done a night dive.

Climb the lighthouse and introduce yourself to the crocodiles at Punta Sur, enjoy the beach there, then swing around to the East side for a stop at Coconuts. I have heard of a margarita bar next to coconuts that has life changing Margaritas...but for the like of me can't think of where it would be. We will have a designated driver and rent a car, but I have heard of renting a cab for a day an have your own personal chauffeur. Do not drink and drive on Coz, there are about 900 ways that ends up going very very bad. Also get all the insurance you can on the rental car and make sure it covers lost wages of the person that pulls out in front of you. You wait at the police station until those damages are paid.

Ceilo tours for the starfish.

Tequila tours...not my thing. Bait and switch tequila is not uncommon. The tequila you buy may not the tequila you taste. Call it the gringo tax.

The chocolate stuff could be fun...but I'm fat so duhhhhhh.

Ahhhhhhhh. Almost forgot- the cruise ships are slowly making there way back. People watching. My preferred spot is the 2nd able off Melgar at The Thirsty Cougar. I need to make a drinking game of the things to look for, but I really don't need a game to enjoy ice cold Bohemia Obscura...the best beer in the world. No trip to Coz would be complete without sighting-

1. the Cozumel Mini Van- A family of 5 on one scooter. A 5ish year old stands in front of Dad, Dad drives the thing, a 3ish year old is sandwhiched between mom and Dad, then mom, and a baby in a back pack. Added points if there is a dog sitting in front of the oldest child. Added added points if an entitled American from a nanny state has a meltdown about how unsafe it is, that none are wearing helmets, why does the Mexican government allow this, should they report them to (insert American agency here)

2. Horribly drunk cruisers- add points for the degree of sunburn, more points for drinking a plastic yard of gasoline flavored Margarita, even more points for a balloon hat, and the ultimate drunk cruiser one flip flop, neon white butt crack or boob showing, being helped along singing Born in the USA, and wearing a 3 foot sombrero (because they popped their Ballon hat) with sparkly large letters that say MEXICO.

3. really great people...even cruisers... we have met people from all over the world on dive boats or in Coz. Everyone has a story, learning what life is like in their part of the world is always interesting...even Canadians.

4. Count the phrases the shop owners will use to get you to come into their stores. Almost free, special for you, free t shirt, free shot, free beer, etc.

5. Some guy on a corner selling "real" Cuban cigars....and anything else you want to smoke.

Dinner- easy walk from CM. don't miss the Lionfish Marsala at New Especias. It's not on the menu but it's the best thing I have ever put in my mouth. Their house Chardonnay is Australian and pairs well in the event you don't have a Bohemia Obscura...the best beer in the world...in front of you. Seriously- don't miss this.

Guidos- farther walk down on Melgar- staple Itallian food. Everything is good. Nicer restaurant.

La Perlita- this will take a cab ride but the coconut crusted Lionfish, Lionfish ceviche, garlic grilled lobster, are our standards.

Cervasaria Punta Sur- easy walk a few blocks behind CM. Craft brewery and great wood fired pizza owned by a former DM at Aldora and Her husband. The amber is really good, but not Bohemia Obscura good... its the best beer in the world.

Lots of food, No wonder I'm fat. Funny thing is if I eat breakfast at CM, I'm usually not that hungry by lunch. Lol, but I can't resist. The food really is that good.

Please drink a Bohemia Obscura for me and enjoy everything that Cozumel has to offer. It has a feel unlike any place in the world I've ever been. When I step off the ferry or the plan, it feels more like home than Oklahoma.

POP QUIZ CLASS- what's the best beer in the world??

Safe travels everyone ,
Jay
Love the Mega escalator. Pop quiz...what holds the carts on the escalators

Magnetic Brakes!

Love the Mega escalator. Pop quiz...what holds the carts on the escalators

Magnetic Brakes!
Sometimes
Across from the bottom of the ramp is a CFE office that used to have glass doors. Supposedly, a few years back, a tourist with a basket full of cervesa turned to his wife and said 'check this out honey' and held up his hands. The magnetic brakes failed and the results were spectacular.

I just got back last night and I want to offer a few comments.

First, and most importantly: do not shop along the water front. get a block or two back into the neighborhoods and you will find better places to shop.

Second: GET PESOS and pay with PESOS in cash. Pretty much every shop on the waterfront tried to scam me by raising the price from USD by charging my card in pesos and raising the price along the way. When I paid in peso in cash no trouble. example agreed to pay 15 usd on my card and then the owner tried to charge me 360 pesos because his machine uses pesos. 15 usd should be 300 pesos give or take a bit. 360 pesos is 18 USD. I don;t care so much about the price, it is about the honesty. I did not have that problem in stores back off the waterfront.

I used tres pelicanos and casa mexicana as well, no worries there for you they did great. But if you want breakfast at casa get there before 7 am and grab a seat so that you can get your order in early otherwise you might not have time to eat. If you are running late the fruit plate will come out quick and is a nice modest breakfast.

As for what to do? Well I ate tacos and napped for the most part. But that is my style, maybe not yours. I do know from former visits that playa corona has nice snorkeling and modest prices. no charge to use the beach if you spend $10 on food and drinks.

We ate tacos at 7 local restaurants and they were all good.

my favorite: ceviche tacos at El Sabor del Camaron, try the chipotle salsa on it! WOW so good.

Best Salsa of the week: Super Hit has a chipotle salsa that is crazy good!

another top choice: Mister Taco makes tacos al pastor that a very good, smaller size so you can try a variety. They have a wicked good red salsa that is medium spicy and huge on flavor.

We also came across a little breakfast place in a back yard (health department inspected!) with a crazy cool folk art vibe and really nice chilaquiles called Addy's right up the street from Chedraui.

Have fun!
I hope this helps,
Jerry

Three things on Cozumel that I found good were:

1) Faro Celarain - lighthouse at the southern tip of the island

2) Beach time at Playa Chen Rio

3) Eat at Coconuts or Mezacalitos on the east side of the Island

4) Check out the ruins at San Gervasio

Eat lunch and do an afternoon dive trip. :)

yeah
and one of the reasons I guess I can't dive in Zanzibar. Most outfits there do two dives a day.
What am I supposed to do after 1 pm?
How many tours can I go on haha.
In Sulawesi, I did a minimum of four dives a day.
Some days we even dived the house reef after lunch and before the night dive.

@Ankita S
welcome to SB from a diver in Herndon, VA
You did your certs in VA/MD/DC area?

I just got back last night and I want to offer a few comments.

First, and most importantly: do not shop along the water front. get a block or two back into the neighborhoods and you will find better places to shop.

Second: GET PESOS and pay with PESOS in cash. Pretty much every shop on the waterfront tried to scam me by raising the price from USD by charging my card in pesos and raising the price along the way. When I paid in peso in cash no trouble. example agreed to pay 15 usd on my card and then the owner tried to charge me 360 pesos because his machine uses pesos. 15 usd should be 300 pesos give or take a bit. 360 pesos is 18 USD. I don;t care so much about the price, it is about the honesty. I did not have that problem in stores back off the waterfront.

I used tres pelicanos and casa mexicana as well, no worries there for you they did great. But if you want breakfast at casa get there before 7 am and grab a seat so that you can get your order in early otherwise you might not have time to eat. If you are running late the fruit plate will come out quick and is a nice modest breakfast.

As for what to do? Well I ate tacos and napped for the most part. But that is my style, maybe not yours. I do know from former visits that playa corona has nice snorkeling and modest prices. no charge to use the beach if you spend $10 on food and drinks.

We ate tacos at 7 local restaurants and they were all good.

my favorite: ceviche tacos at El Sabor del Camaron, try the chipotle salsa on it! WOW so good.

Best Salsa of the week: Super Hit has a chipotle salsa that is crazy good!

another top choice: Mister Taco makes tacos al pastor that a very good, smaller size so you can try a variety. They have a wicked good red salsa that is medium spicy and huge on flavor.

We also came across a little breakfast place in a back yard (health department inspected!) with a crazy cool folk art vibe and really nice chilaquiles called Addy's right up the street from Chedraui.

Have fun!
I hope this helps,
Jerry

@jbark
I am guessing you may mean the Sazon de Camaron, not the Sabor de Camaron (can’t get accent to come up on o in Sazon). Assuming you are talking about the restaurant on Juarez at corner of 55 across 55 from Casa Mission.

I had the breaded shrimp tacos with Chipotle sauce yesterday. Been my go to lunch place for a decade now if I am in mood for shrimp (not open at night unless something has changed )

Back
Top Bottom