They're not cuttlefish...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Finally, my first dive in.... so long I can't even remember my last time hopping in!

I had a fieldtrip up North to visit for New Year's and got the chance to get a dive in too :D

The water felt like icecubes and I definitely saw 53ºF going on on my computer at my average 17fsw most of the dive. My max was 30fsw and the dive was 44mins long. The dive location was the Monterey Breakwater, and it sounded like right before we went in someone said it was kind of bad viz by the wall but 25-30' further out in the open. Once we got in the visibility was actually pretty great so I was pleasantly surprised. My last dive here there were all sorts of teeny tiny little clear sea critters almost verging on the microscopic blotting out most of the viz (though they were quite interesting). This time we got some clear critters that were about the size of a palm and apparently not a squid or cuttlefish type of critter, but actually a type of pteropod called Corolla calceola.

Here's the day:
IMG_3508_zpskdeq5fzr.jpg

On with the dive!
P1050029_zps7w6rwlb5.jpg

A swimming calceola

All of a sudden the fish went screaming past
P1050059_zpspnddlnjt.jpg

so I looked around... nothing. I looked up... that's why!
P1050058_zpsjprudvgh.jpg

These guys were everywhere. There was at least one every 10' at about 20-10fsw.
P1050060_zpse43pdwnp.jpg

Some other type of clear gelatinous critter

P1050084_zpsmm6pdwbl.jpg

Bit deeper at about 30'
P1050088_zpse95dr7is.jpg

The fish scatter again...
P1050090_zpslhdlwvzq.jpg

(the nice big seal in the haze)

P1050096_zpsjca6bw72.jpg

P1050108_zpsr30ia8qo.jpg

No idea why his claws are all white
P1050109_zpsxws4twxp.jpg

And in closing, one last calceola

It was a great dive but... I don't think I'm cut out for wetsuit diving in Monterey conditions. Especially if it's windy topside because it took 2 hours for the pins and needles to clear my fingers. Maybe I should wait til it warms up to dive there again.

some nice pics how thick were your gloves.i use 5 mm gloves here in canada this last fall in cooler temps than this and hands were never cold as for wetsuit 7mm jacjet and john with a 5 mm hood

Hey, it was a balmy dive . . .

some nice pics how thick were your gloves.i use 5 mm gloves here in canada this last fall in cooler temps than this and hands were never cold as for wetsuit 7mm jacjet and john with a 5 mm hood

I'm always cold, so the sharkskin and 7mm wetsuit really just... it was rough. I was in boots, gloves and a hood too of course. It probably didn't help that it was chilly and windy topside either.

I believe the animal you called calceola is actually Corolla spectabilis.

Thanks!

Hey, it was a balmy dive . . .

...where's the 'un-like' button...

You were a bit bluish . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom