They are spearing them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm heading there this Saturday and will take an expandable spear just in case.

I would advise not to. You'll get in trouble with either customs at the airport or the Marina Park authorities.

As a matter of fact STINAPA (National Park Authorities) is implementing a program right now to distribute specially designed hand spears to dive professionals and island residents under very strict rules (a personal contract with STINAPA allowing a person to hunt lionfish with a numbered weapon that remains property of STINAPA). All other types of spears will be strictly forbidden.

Bas..Glad to see them moving in this direction. I posted on this over a year ago that it would eventually come to utilizing a spear assigned to specific individuals to remove these reef marauders. Any idea if STINAPA will allow some form of protective accoutrement, ie special gloves to be used by the folks?

I've just returned from two weeks on Bonaire and saw lionfish on virtually every dive including a group of three at 151' at Hidden Beach. Given that these depths are seldom visited by sport divers I think the lionfish population will eventually reach some balance with or without our intervention. On a positive note, Jerry Lignon of BDA, told us that he observed a spotted moray swallowing a lionfish whole recently and continued to watch the moray and saw no ill effects. Predation by other reef residents is probably the best hope.

I would advise not to. You'll get in trouble with either customs at the airport or the Marina Park authorities.

As a matter of fact STINAPA (National Park Authorities) is implementing a program right now to distribute specially designed hand spears to dive professionals and island residents under very strict rules (a personal contract with STINAPA allowing a person to hunt lionfish with a numbered weapon that remains property of STINAPA). All other types of spears will be strictly forbidden.

Thanks for the insider info, Bas.

Protective measures (gloves) will be allowed to those under contract with STINAPA as 'lionfish hunters'. Obviously this only applies when actually hunting lionfish.

Shot the first several already, the ELF is a very effective tool. Strangely enough the mature ones are deep! 100-150' By the way the official tally at the research station CIEE is a few more than 500, and the unofficial number caught by park staff exceeds a 1000! And that was before the ELF was permitted.

We came across a Lionfish last week. Sure would have been a lot easier to just kill it rather than trying to tie that stupid cork on it. :rofl3:

That's because you're doing it wrong, you're supposed to stick the corks directly on the spines so they are rendered safe and float to the surface away from the reef. :rofl3:

Now you just have to drink enough wine before your next trip to pull it off. :D

Shot the first several already, the ELF is a very effective tool. Strangely enough the mature ones are deep! 100-150' By the way the official tally at the research station CIEE is a few more than 500, and the unofficial number caught by park staff exceeds a 1000! And that was before the ELF was permitted.

Hey Bart!! Got an ELF for me next time I'm on island? I'll do 100-150' dives with ya and go after the biggies! We could have a beach fish fry.

Back
Top Bottom