They are spearing them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just found out that on Roatan they are spearing the lionfish to control their numbers. Apparently there is a contest going on between the dive shops. Don't know if there is any training going on before they are turned lose but I suspect it is limited to divemasters. Apparently the score is in the hundreds so far. This sure beats the heck out of the politically correct method of coaxing them into a net thing going on in Bonaire.

.................that this is NOT happening on Bonaire, lol. This going to be the only way to control it. I'm going to Bonaire in mid-june and would LOVE to help out the cause.

They're just waiting for Lionfish to get out of control first.
Then they'll allow spearing like all the early islands...

Well I suspect the problem in Bonaire is the law. It is illegal to spear any fish...period. No one is immune (even STINAPA). Everyone is scrambling to meet the new deadline of 10/10 with integration with Holland. I suspect that the lion fish problem has been relegated to the back burner and no new legislation addressing this will be passed until after integration.

Well I suspect the problem in Bonaire is the law. It is illegal to spear any fish...period. No one is immune (even STINAPA). Everyone is scrambling to meet the new deadline of 10/10 with integration with Holland. I suspect that the lion fish problem has been relegated to the back burner and no new legislation addressing this will be passed until after integration.

Damn, ......then that just means i'll have to make another trip.

If Bonaire has a law that can't be changed that prevents any kind of spear fishing even in a controlled way to remove an environmental menace then they are just shooting themselves in the foot. Their economy is already slower than last year and when (not if) the word gets out that much of the fish population is gone, divers will go to other destinations in the Carrib. All the big groupers are gone. It really is all about the $'s isn't it?

If Bonaire has a law that can't be changed that prevents any kind of spear fishing even in a controlled way to remove an environmental menace then they are just shooting themselves in the foot. Their economy is already slower than last year and when (not if) the word gets out that much of the fish population is gone, divers will go to other destinations in the Carrib. All the big groupers are gone. It really is all about the $'s isn't it?

i totally agree. Controlled spearing, after training, and then turning them over to the govt, scientist or whomever i think would work. Incentives to the diver and resort with the most lionfish turned in could be very productive. Also, HUGE fines for any other species that are speared would need to be put in place i think. Any possibility that this could be put in place within 30 days ??????

Ronski..we're in the same boat on this one. I have long advocated that certain individuals be "deputized" so they can use spear guns. Unfortunately I do not see this happening in the next 6 months.
As far as being all about money, please..... look around yourself in the good ole USA. We DO have the best government money can buy. Lobbyist in fact rule Washington. So don't criticize Bonaire for doing the same thing we've been doing for decades in the states. Our senators and congressman should ALL have term limits. Now would you like to put that to a vote?

I've seen more than one dive master stick, stab, eviscerate a lion fish with these simple 18" long 'reef sticks".

tio.ms.fg.jpg

Probably illegal in Bonaire too?

We came across a Lionfish last week. Sure would have been a lot easier to just kill it rather than trying to tie that stupid cork on it. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom