They are spearing them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We came across a Lionfish last week. Sure would have been a lot easier to just kill it rather than trying to tie that stupid cork on it. :rofl3:

My point........E-X-A-C-T-L-Y

I've seen more than one dive master stick, stab, eviscerate a lion fish with these simple 18" long 'reef sticks".

tio.ms.fg.jpg

Probably illegal in Bonaire too?
No, not illegal at all.
There's no sharp surfaces whatsoever.
It's merely an innocuous conductor's baton.
Where kin I buy a couple? Leisurepro???

I think if you examine the picture very, very closely, you will be able to figure out where to buy one of these. :wink:

Unless sharpened, I really don't see how this would be effective as a spear/gig underwater.

They are relatively slow right? I was thinking we could just grab one and crush him. well since gloves are also not allowed that is not an option.

no gloves no spears. I suppose I could take off a tank and crush it. no that would harm the coral. oh right we cant kill it, forgot about the law and all.:D

I think if you examine the picture very, very closely, you will be able to figure out where to buy one of these. :wink:

Unless sharpened, I really don't see how this would be effective as a spear/gig underwater.

The DMs don't spear them or anything, they just get close and pin the little bastards with the thing and push it through them once, then again and again and do some other nasty things to them with it. Either lionfish aren't that hard to get close to or the DM are just good at it, like everything else related to being underwater.

I've also seen DMs assemble little trident like 'spears' under water from 3 pieces they keep in a small maybe 12" long bag tied to them, and I've seen them use small Hawaiian slings, very small ones. Out of the dozens of lion fish kills I've only seen one DM actually bag one, all the rest kill them on the spot, I've even seen one pluck all the poisonous spines off and then leave the body for the reef fish to feed on.

If Bonaire has a law that can't be changed that prevents any kind of spear fishing even in a controlled way to remove an environmental menace then they are just shooting themselves in the foot

Irony

Another LEGAL solution would be to use the following tool simply to MASH Lionfish when out in the open...
13-0374.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom