Thermal Protection thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its not thermal protection per say but...

Not many people talk about hydration and food - work with me

When you get cold, blood pathways constrict in the outer part of the body pulling more fluid to the core, your body starts to get rid of that excess fluid so the hydration is very important not only when its a balmy Texas 110 out but when your cold too, just because your not sweating doesn't mean anything, and FOOD have to eat good, a quick snack or candy bar won't do it, give someone a nice hot meal - good food lots of calories not just sugar and you will stay warmer, seriously.

When the temps get real low I sumpliment my drysuit dive rite thermals with heavy polar tech's I picked up at cabelas

You are right on the money FixxerVI6. Protein, and water is always a good idea in cold weather. Your body uses a lot of energy trying to stay warm and you must hydrate and eat good food, not junk to keep yourself going. We use to bring hot dogs and cook during the winter when we had classes, and a case of water in a cooler. Brownies and hot chocolate did not keep people going when you were doing two to three dives in an open water class. Hot dogs, protein bars, vegetables and water helped them last the day. Not to mention a changing tent between dives.

According to the Kunkels, a 1500 watt space heater inside the changing tent is what gets the job done. It must have been 85 degrees in there! I was sweatin'.

I am a little late, but I will chime in on this one.

There have been several excellent points made throughout this thread.

Once it gets too cold for a 5mm (i.e. 72-76F) I am in a dry suit. Depending upon the conditions I will wear up to 3 layers of undergarments. Most of which I find at the hunting/sports stores. I find these work a bit better than the drysuit manufacturers undergarments. The key is layering. Base layer is merino wool long underwear (I like the idea of silk here as well), then heavy grade polypro long underwear followed by a heavy polartec fleece (North Face). Sometimes I will throw on a nylon shell over the top to keep the condensation on the inside of the drysuit on the outside of the thermal layers. Then 2 pairs of socks, I use neoprene socks and then a wool pair over that. You can find the neoprene socks at Academy with the fishing waders.

For my head, when it gets really cold (i.e. ice conditions) I wear 2 hoods. I use a Henderson Ice Cap under my regular hood, this keeps you from getting a headache. It worked quite well when I dove in Antarctica.

For hands, I use dry gloves and have several different liners of varying thickness that I will wear depending upon the conditions.

When I dive in the water below about 50F, I find that it is nearly always my hands getting cold that will limit my dive times. My head, feet and core always seem to stay warm enough.

TxIceDiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom