"There's a man in the ladies room" the tale of my Intro to Tech class Day 1 and now 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A couple buddies and I contacted Duane Johnson from Precision Diving (ppo2 diver on the board) for an Intro to Tech class. I wanted to learn to dive my doubles and improve my skills, the guys are interested in pursuing technical diving. I was the experienced one in doubles with 19 dives, Steve had used my doubles once and Jim had never tried doubles and hadn’t been in the water in nearly 7 months. Duane had his work cut out for him with this crew. Duane has a complete bp/w doubles set up available for students and Jim rented that; Steve has most of his own gear and only needed to rent tanks from Duane.

Steve and I went up to Gilboa Quarry Friday night to get my favorite spot and set up camp for the weekend. Saturday morning I wander up to the bath house and a woman comes out of the ladies room and says, “There’s a MAN in there!” I asked if he was cleaning, I was just trotting in to brush my teeth and freshen up after all. She said, “No he’s using the bathroom, he said he didn’t realize it was the ladies.” She says she really has to pee and I indicate I’m going on in and there are two stalls in there, she didn’t know that. We wander in as I yell “Are you naked?” the guy is doing his business and apologizes through the curtain but says he isn’t naked…darn. She darts into the other stall and I proceed to freshen up. The poor guy is really apologetic as he comes out from behind the curtain. I tell him it’s no big deal, mistakes happen. He just has to remember he’s on our turf, I did leave out the “and if you’re not packing we’re laughing” comment. That’s how my day started, meeting new people is always fun!

Duane arrived much earlier than expected and Jim was a little late so Steve and I had Duane to ourselves for awhile. He’s a really nice guy and as Jim later pointed out he’s much younger than he looks…I mean he’s much younger than we were expecting him to be :eyebrow:. Jim arrives and we get down to business and complete the requisite paperwork.

The first part of Saturday consisted of lecture on gas management, dive planning, equipment and skills. I was rather terrified of the lecture stuff; this bunny is horrible at math and physics. I did manage to divide 500 by 2 when one of the guys was struggling with the problem. He had been whipping out answers to questions involving fractions while I was still asking if fractions were decimals but for some reason 500/2 was eluding him. I think I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that math is not my strong point. Duane presented some really great stuff on dive planning and doing running dive plans in your head that I think anyone would enjoy learning, even newer divers. He kept things simple enough that I could follow along and that’s really saying something.

We spent some time going over gear and getting everything set up and checked for fit. I noticed the guys’ plates didn’t touch their butts while my plate was gently brushing mine. I also noticed I could lift my plate with my butt by arching my back. Duane told us we should be able to reach back and touch our plate but I wasn’t sure if that was with or without butt assistance so I asked. I could touch the plate without lifting it too but I wasn’t sure if “cheating” while fitting was going to screw something up.

The gear was fitted and we had done some propulsion technique review so it was time to head for the water. I had the orange flip fins along for this dive since it’s so much easier for me to get out of the water with them using the doubles. I get to the water and notice my power inflator isn’t connected. Steve is roasting in his 7mm and so intent on getting in the water he doesn’t hear me ask for help. Jim is donning his fins so I have him fix the problem…the problem that wasn’t there when I set up my gear….Duane…

I opted to enter with the fins in the locked position instead of repeating the “doubles with no fins” experience that happened the last time since I lack a reliable kick to lock them in place. I chose a standing backroll instead of a giant stride to keep the fins locked on entry. That didn’t work, I hit the water on my back but the right fin came unlocked. I did manage to get it locked on the second kick while holding the stair railing.

Jim, Steve and I did our version of a buddy check then Duane showed us a better way and we tried that. I’m not sure when Steve’s isolater got closed but we still managed to miss it with the pre-dive buddy check verification…is that what y’all call the “s-drill”? I’m still a little foggy on terms. I don’t remember exactly when he figured out it was closed either but he did mention it on the surface after the dive. Personally I have a hard time determining which way stuff should be turning when working behind my head…ok it’s not just when working behind my head but that makes it even more confusing than it normally is.

We were using 32% and I’m still kind of foggy on remembering the dives. I know we did propulsion and the basic 5 on the first dive but I don’t exactly remember which came first, I believe it was propulsion. Duane demonstrated a frog kick then had each of us use the kick while taking a lap around the platform as he filmed us. I ended up assigned to go first. The doubles were shifting on my back a bit and I could feel the fear of tipping over forward as I tried the kick around the platform. I was about three kicks from him when the right fin came unlocked $#%*(%(_@. I tried a flutter kick to lock it, no luck…crap I’m on video…I dropped my right hip and tried the kick lock again with my body at an angle…success! Back to the frog kick I went. I could feel the fin threatening to unlock with every stroke. It was only one fin though, the other was fine but it was seriously affecting my confidence in my kick. Overall with the tanks wobbling and my legs not cooperating combined with fear of doing a front flip and a distinct awareness of being filmed while questioning whether I would have a functional right fin I simply couldn’t relax and follow the “how to” instructions Duane had so carefully explained and beautifully demonstrated.

The modified frog kick was next; Duane again demonstrated then sent us out one at a time to perform. I get two kicks into the exercise when I realize I’m doing the exact same kick I was doing the first time…crap. Ok, so I discovered I only have one frog kick and it’s kind of a cross between a regular frog kick and a modified frog with a little flutter thrown in for good measure. The fin is still threatening to come unlocked and it’s causing me to come unglued in the focus department.

Back kick was next. I was so rattled I completely couldn’t get my legs to cooperate; it was so bad Duane turned the camera off very early in the exercise. I tried grabbing the upline as a cheater to manage my buoyancy while trying to talk myself through the mechanics of the kick; it did zero good.

Now it was time to try a helicopter kick…um yeah two legs going two different directions and I have no back kick…this is going to be ugly…and it was.

Duane didn’t film our basic 5 since that should have been pretty straightforward and it was. Remove and replace the mask, ok maybe he should have filmed it so everyone could see the extra steps required to do this exercise with ears; yes I wore the hood. The reg remove/replace/clear/retrieve was pretty standard. I like the fact that while I’m doing the retrieval of the long hose I get to put my back-up reg in my mouth while I find the primary…I like that a lot. I’m comfortable without my mask; I’m not comfortable going without my regulator for very long and I realize I need to work on that. I really enjoyed the long hose donation practice and stowing it, maybe it was just because Duane’s movements were so clean and crisp when he demonstrated it making it look uber cool.

We spent a few minutes touring, trying out our new kicks and trying to stay together as a three man team. I was pretty frustrated with our performance in that arena, it’s hard to see someone when they get behind you and I felt I constantly had to roll over to see one buddy or another. We needed to work on staying shoulder to shoulder and at the same depth though at least we were all going the same general direction. I don’t mind diving in a three man team but it’s too much task loading when you’re all trying to learn something new, practice and keep tabs on each other. I suck as a competent buddy when I’m learning because I have to focus so hard to learn new things. I prefer to be the only one training in a threesome so they can take care of each other while keeping a close eye on me leaving me free to focus on what I need to learn.

The good news was everyone came back from the dive unharmed. The rest of it needed some work and Duane used the video to show us what we needed to do to improve.

More later.....

Sounds like a great class . . . Sounds like a class I took :D

I hope you'll forgive me, but the part about the fins is something I can't resist responding to. This is the reason we don't use equipment solutions to technique problems -- You often create more trouble than you solve, and add failure points for which you don't have good solutions.

The team positioning and communication thing will get very steadily better, if you guys debrief the dives about it. This is the kind of thing that everybody has to learn. Even the "advanced class" during my Fundies got dinged on positioning and awareness. Needless to say, we hopeless cases were an underwater mob scene in heavy fog . . .

To quote the Wizard of Oz...

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

:D

It's kind of funny, the way bathroom occupancy runs something of a double-standard in this country. It's not unusual at crowded venues for women to go ahead and use the men's room because the lines for the women's rooms are too long. If a man objects, the woman will say something to the effect of, "You ain't got nothin' I haven't seen before."

Most women, though, are not quite so tolerant of a man in the ladies' room, and telling her, "You ain't got nothin' I haven't seen before" wouldn't help much.

I remember one time taking one of my kids into a public men's room, and a woman bursting in and being VERY annoyed that we were in there. I guess she REALLY needed to go, and it was just UNREASONABLE that a man with his toddler would be in the MEN'S room.

Sounds like a great class . . . Sounds like a class I took :D

I hope you'll forgive me, but the part about the fins is something I can't resist responding to. This is the reason we don't use equipment solutions to technique problems -- You often create more trouble than you solve, and add failure points for which you don't have good solutions.
I just can't give up the dork factor, they appeal to my heart rather than my brain :dork2:

The team positioning and communication thing will get very steadily better, if you guys debrief the dives about it. This is the kind of thing that everybody has to learn. Even the "advanced class" during my Fundies got dinged on positioning and awareness. Needless to say, we hopeless cases were an underwater mob scene in heavy fog . . .
I can't even imagine trying to perform under Fundies type pressure. Duane can be so laid back and still get his point across. That was something I really enjoyed about the class, the focus was on improvement rather than perfection.

I'm glad to hear that you survived and had a good time! The good news is that it gets easier with practice!

Did Duane get any video of the BP butt lift?

No video of that, at least none that I saw. He did mention he'd never seen anyone do that before :rofl3:

Day 2 report will follow soon!
Ber :lilbunny:

The real question is...do you now feel comfortable with doubles? I know after taking intro with Rick Kruzel I felt a lot better. After looking at my video, during our Canada trip for adv. nitrox deco, I found out I needed a lot of work. One week later I got a lot better.

Good luck with the fins!!

The real question is...do you now feel comfortable with doubles? I know after taking intro with Rick Kruzel I felt a lot better. After looking at my video, during our Canada trip for adv. nitrox deco, I found out I needed a lot of work. One week later I got a lot better.

Good luck with the fins!!

I feel like I have more of an understanding about how to use them. It will take a bit of work to translate that into actual comfort but I feel I have the tools to get where I need to be. With only 22 dives in them I'm still a baby at this, ask me in another 22 dives :D I'm sure things will steadily improve.

One fin has some stress marks that I originally thought were only cosmetic, it's the fin that kept coming undone. I'm taking my other pair to Bermuda for a couple dives next week, we'll see how they perform.

Day 2 of class dawned bright and early!
Part of what I needed to work on was keeping my head up. I’m a “look down” diver, always have been. I happen to enjoy watching the mud and little rocks go by and just rolling my head to the side to check on my buddy. Problem is my knees follow my head so I was diving at a 45 degree angle. The surface discussion revolved around various methods to keep my head up. We discussed how tying my ponytail to the manifold would work as would tying off my ears; I KNEW they were good for something! Ok, so we didn’t actually tie anything off but discussing the possibility of it was helpful, it kept my head position on my mind so I could monitor and correct as needed. That turned out to be about every 30 seconds on the second dive.

We were getting set up for the second dive when I remembered my harness had felt too loose on the last dive. We checked it again and sure enough it needed to be tightened quite a bit. Jim and Steve helped me tighten it then we headed off for our dive. Unfortunately I forgot to move my D-rings, something I wouldn’t realize until the valve drill.
I let the guys know I was feeling stressed, I have no clue why but my anxiety rate was up there. Steve was elected leader of this dive and led us through the pre-dive check. I had switched to my regular fins for this dive having had enough of the distraction of the flip fin. Everything was operational on the surface so we headed to the platform. Our assigned skills were OOA drills and valve drills. Duane was demonstrating the OOA with Steve when my regulator started skipping on the inhale. I got Jim’s attention and used a random hand signal that there was no way in hell he would ever understand to indicate my reg wasn’t breathing right. I figured Duane had done something to it so I switched to my back-up and reached back to check my right post. It was on, so was the isolator. I have no clue what’s wrong now and switch back to my primary…well I tried to switch back. Somehow I had gotten the primary tied up in the necklace; I hadn’t clipped off the primary when I removed it, remember how I hadn’t moved the D-rings? I show the knot to Jim and he and I believe Steve was there by now help me get the thing sorted. The regulator is still skipping, I try the adjustment knobs but it doesn’t stop and my heart is pounding so hard it feels like it’s going to explode. I’m done…I’m not about to start an exercise with a regulator I KNOW isn’t working right until I can at least warn my buddies so I thumb and we ascend. I explain what’s happening and Duane says it shouldn’t change from the surface to underwater but it’s not doing it on the surface. I take a peek at the diaphragm but it looks fine so we head back down. The reg is breathing harder than normal but it’s not skipping so I give the guys the ok and we start. The OOA stuff actually went relatively smoothly, nobody died and we didn’t look like yo-yos in the water column. There was a lot of kicking of the buddy that nothing we did seemed to help but we knew the kicks needed work so we dealt with that. Jim and I seemed a better pair than Steve and I in the buoyancy department but we kicked the crap out of each other. Steve kept sinking when he was my OOA victim and had to tug him up to avoid hitting the platform or plummeting below it in the open water. Every time I yanked on his arm he looked at me but when I tried to signal him to put air in his wing he looked away again before I could; I needed a faster signal than finding and tapping on my own inflator.

Valve drill was next and Duane gave us a beautiful example of what it should look like. Unfortunately he didn’t bring a written list of steps for me to follow so I screwed a couple things up. He didn’t have to stop me so I hadn’t done anything wrong enough to enter “she’s going to drown herself” territory but I missed a step or two. Reaching my valves was relatively easy, staying in position was not. I moseyed to the other side of the platform over the course of the drill. A back kick would have come in handy here. Let’s just say I couldn’t get the back kick going in my regular fins either and trying to concentrate on all the steps of the valve drill and the coordination required to back kick just wasn’t going to happen in the bunny brain.

I found the valve drill and OOA skills very straightforward. The valve shutdown drill has a lot of steps and keeping them in order isn’t my strong point. I’ll most likely literally need to make a list so I can read and follow along until I have done it enough times to program the sequence into muscle memory. We’ve always donated the reg in the mouth so the OOA drill wasn’t that much of a stretch from what I was used to. Donating the hose with it wrapped behind your head isn’t any harder than just donating a regular hose from your mouth.

I used a 5 foot hose rather than a 7 foot since that’s what I had gathering dust in the dive closet. I liked the 5 foot hose routing very much, it was much nicer having the hose close to my body instead of out in a big loop that was constantly getting hung up on attractions as I passed. The routing around my neck meant there was no pulling on my mouth. I would sometimes route my old primary hose under my arm when cruising through underwater trees to avoid entanglement and that caused the reg to pull downward, very uncomfortable and annoying. I liked the 5 foot hose because it didn’t have enough slack that it needed to be tucked under anything. That was one less step I had to remember during the OOA drills.

Steve led us on a short tour and the teamwork seemed a little better. I was a little confused at one point where he seemed to want to go on but I thought we were at our agreed safety stop pressure so I insisted on heading to our platform for the stop.

I had been focusing on keeping my head up and trying to come out of the 45 degree angle the entire dive. The tanks weren’t shifting on my back like the first dive so I felt a little more stable but there were still some issues with stability related to my knees being too close together…something Duane helped me discover. I was only wearing a thin undergarment instead of my usual 400g undies so I was dealing with being over weighted as well. There’s just so much to focus on all at once, it was a little overwhelming and I was frustrated with my inability to deliver what Duane was asking for.

We debriefed on the surface and Duane gave us some things to work on the next dive. The guys helped me move my D-rings; Duane said that’s not normally done with the diver in the harness but hey, it was working for us. He said I could move my second set of D-rings off the shoulder harness, they actually go on the belt but I had put them on the shoulder to store them. I’ll be keeping the extra one on my right side at about belly button height for my gauges for the time being but the other can go on my hip. I like my gauges in front of me and I’ve got too much learning on my plate to add the stress of needing to unclip my gauge to see it. Maybe one day it will migrate to my hip but probably not soon.

Our final dive was learning to shoot a bag then doing another tour to work on team skills and kicks. The lift bag was an education in itself. I brought a lift bag instead of an SMB because the list said “bag” and I took it at face value. Lift bags do one thing well, they lift. They do not function well as a marker buoy especially when part of the drill is to reel the thing back down and re-stow it. The lift bags get a lot of water in them where the SMB Duane used does not. Jim and I can personally attest to the fact that you CANNOT remove water from a lift bag underwater. You also CANNOT stow a lift bag in a lift bag holder that is attached to your buddy’s plate between the tanks and her butt. We gave it a hell of a go though! I think Duane has quite a bit of those antics on video. He also has video of me dutifully attaching my finger spool to the top of the bag DOH! I did get it figured out and switched so I could shoot the bag but Duane had given up on taping me by then. That was the second time he’d gone ahead and just turned the camera off after getting the highlights of me sucking at a skill. The camera only has so much memory after all. I did NOT get myself or any innocent bystanders tangled in the line or drop the spool or get dragged to the surface by the bag. That in itself was a minor miracle so even though I was a total loser when it came to lift bag deploy/stow I still had reason to be proud of myself.

I had once again been elected the leader of the dive so the tour was mine. Naturally I head for the trees, I tried a right hand circle but I like to turn left so after passing the bus we went for the forest. I’m sure the guys were ready to kill me. The teamwork was improving and there were actually times when we were lined up shoulder to shoulder and cruising at the same depth until meeting a tree or group of trees. We were trying to get down to 500psi to do buoyancy checks at the safety stop. After a bit of cruising we finally got to that point and hung out at the safety stop for a while. Steve indicated low air so we started to ascend. We all had a discussion on the surface and decided to go back to 10 feet and see how our buoyancy was. I was sinking like a rock when I dumped my wing; I’m just too heavy in that SS plate with the lightweight undies and the 100’s. I’ll be doing some more weight checks for sure to see if I’m still heavy in my winter undies since they are what I wear most of the time. When it’s warm enough for summer undies I usually dive wet.

I had some issues getting into and out of the harness, still, but my buddies were kind enough to lend a hand. There’s a slight chance I’ll be able to manage that with some practice but it’s going to take time just like everything else we learned this weekend. I’m looking forward to getting my copy of the DVD. Maybe Duane will be kind enough to post some of the more interesting segments on the internet.

What are my closing thoughts? I think “Intro to Tech” may be a title that intimidates people; I think “Improving Your Diving” would be a better name for it. I only have experience with Duane’s version of the class so it may well be different with a different instructor. I believe this class would be suitable for any diver who is motivated to learn and get better. He tailored our class to our skill level and goals; I believe he could tailor it to accommodate most any diver. Would I recommend his classes? Absolutely. Who do I think could benefit from them that might not consider such a class? Newer divers who have gotten the hang of buoyancy control. You don’t HAVE to do the class in doubles, there are a lot of great things in the class (gas/dive planning, buddy checks, propulsion techniques, teamwork, etc) and a lot of great feedback that don’t require two tanks. Would I mix doubles divers and newer singles divers in a class? Probably not because the goals could be different enough to leave someone feeling they hadn’t gotten all they could out of the class though I’m convinced Duane would give it all he had. Overall my recommendation is get a couple friends together whose dive skills and goals are comparable to yours and see if Duane has a class to take you where you want to go. It never hurts to ask, he drove 5 hours one way to train us and for that I’m truly grateful. The experience will certainly improve my diving.

First let me say the man in the rest room was not me.

I was the experienced one in doubles with 19 dives, Steve had used my doubles once and Jim had never tried doubles and hadn’t been in the water in nearly 7 months.

I hear Jim hadn't been in ANY water in 7 months. :D
(Jim may have also admitted to misplacing his ScubaBoard password, so I might be able to get away with that remark.) :eyebrow:

Steve and I went up to Gilboa Quarry Friday night to get my favorite spot and set up camp for the weekend.

Long Ear's was stressing a bit. When she stresses, I get stressed. No fun! Get there early, get her preferred spot. I even brought special rabbit snacks!

I noticed the guys’ plates didn’t touch their butts while my plate was gently brushing mine.
You notice our butts??? :rofl3:

I get to the water and notice my power inflator isn’t connected. Steve is roasting in his 7mm and so intent on getting in the water he doesn’t hear me ask for help.

Actually I did notice and started back up the steps, but you were off to the far side of the dock. (Dock is nice BTW. Two divers can giant stride and two people get down the stairs all at the same time!)

That didn’t work, I hit the water on my back but the right fin came unlocked. I did manage to get it locked on the second kick while holding the stair railing.

While the dorky appeal of the flip fins is interesting to me, and I really enjoy the "it has ears at both ends" appearance of our star rabbit, the twitching and jerky motions they cause are annoying. I don't know if it's a fin or if something is wrong and a rabbit rescue is required.

Steve led us on a short tour and the teamwork seemed a little better. I was a little confused at one point where he seemed to want to go on but I thought we were at our agreed safety stop pressure so I insisted on heading to our platform for the stop.

I was in the high 1400's (1487 i believe, but we round down) when we turned which is why I was only at 1400 when we hit the exit point. I figured there was enough gas to swim past the jet on the way. Instead we had time to swim around in the shallows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom