The value of PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like mentioned before, the AOW cert just means you have experience in 5 different types of diving. in the presence of an instructor. Those cert cards only give you a ticket to dive. However, watching the diver whose skills you thought were lacking, you have learned stuff NOT to do. We all learn from our own and each others' experiences.

I would find new buddies that are better than you and dive with them. Watch what they do and learn from them. Let her dive in the class environment with her beloved instructor that gave her the c-card.

hey ZKY.. is that avatar pic at fort ross ????

While I may agree with your intentions, the reality is PADI is not going to redesign something that is working.

Don't be too sure, Ron.

The online AOW course requires students to complete 7 knowledge reviews, although they still only do 5 dives. From converstations we had about this last night, I had the impression that further future changes are possible.

Don't be too sure, Ron.

The online AOW course requires students to complete 7 knowledge reviews, although they still only do 5 dives. From converstations we had about this last night, I had the impression that further future changes are possible.

I'd be interested to here more on this. What additional knowledge reviews are required, and what changes do you foresee?

I'd be interested in this as well. I'm in the middle of crafting a detailed letter to PADI explaining my reasons for not renewing my DM status. My Instructor status with SEI not withstanding I had planned on keeping my DM dues paid in order to have access to some of the older articles that I find useful. The primary reasons for my choosing not to renew have alot to do with the direction they are headed that seems to be towards further dumbing down of courses by getting away from tables, e learning, and some new tactics I've just become aware of, like not letting centers renew because of badmouthing by others. In addition they do not like these centers to complain about sloppy card service, the ridiculousness of the so-called distinctive specialties, and their insistance on selling a certain amount of course materials to prospective customers. Once it's done I'll post it somewhere here. If they are taking any kind of action to really toughen up something I'd like to know. I do give credit where it is due.

I only know what I have told you. I know for certain that more knowledge reviews are required for the online version of AOW. Our course director had the sense from his conversations taht more changes were possible, but I cannot tell you more than that.

By about the concern with eLearning being a lowering of standards in some way...

In that same meeting we talked about the experiences the shop has had with eLearning so far. Only the instructors who are also full shop employees have been involved with it so far, so I have not had direct experience. They report that every single student, with no exception, has emerged from the online academic portion of the class with the academics full nailed, and these students were completely ready for the pool portion of the class. There have been some other threads in which instructors have said exactly the same thing. In fact, I have never heard a single instance in which an instructor who has encountered eLearning students has said anything otherwise.

On what do you base your objection? General principals? Specific problems?

I'd be interested in this as well. I'm in the middle of crafting a detailed letter to PADI explaining my reasons for not renewing my DM status.

I suspect that they won't really care about the reasons or miss the money.

Given the direction they're heading, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went almost 100% online with some "skills verification" centers in resort areas that would demonstrate a few of the important skills in-person before the OW dives.

Online is pretty much 100% profit. They stream some video, run the quizzes and take the money. I'm sure if you gave them a choice, they would much rather have the $120 they get for the on-line "class" instead of the few bucks they get for printing books.

I really can't come up with a good business reason for them to have outside instructors.

Terry

Last edited:
PADI have done a wonderful job: in sales and marketing.

Whilst the courses are patently ****, it gets people diving and the accident rate remains low so it's hard to fault them as a commercial apparatus.

You're much more likely to die driving there that you are on the dive.

The problem with diving and the "patently ****," courses is not the drop dead rate, it's the drop out rate. When people are not comfortable they don't keep doing whatever it is that makes them uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom