The value of PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Open your eyes. It's argued here frequently.
We obviously have a different idea of "frequently". Once a month is not that frequent. Would you care to SHOW US the alleged frequency?
Most instructors teach by following standards to the letter. Many are not even aware there's another way to teach.
How would YOU know. Have you seen MOST instructors teach? I don't even think MOST instructors here on ScubaBoard would agree that they teach that way. Start a poll and see.
No agenda, anti-PADI or otherwise.
COKE ALERT! Always preface those kind of statements with a COKE ALERT. Ask your peers in the Instructor's corner if you are biased against PADI. I triple dog dare you.
I do have a low opinion of PADI's standards, but that's based on the standards themselves and the results they produce.
Oh, you mean those Happy divers?
PADI sued Diverlink, I was a witness. They did lose. Life went on years ago. In fact, the suit took very little of my time and attention even when it was happening.
Dude, you were stressing, and I was stressing with you! It sounds like you are now rewriting history to suit you.
Perhaps, but there are those who do and they have the same right to the type of class they want. Misleading people undermines that right.
Then stop misleading them. They are by your own admission HAPPY with their results.
If they are happy, I'm happy.
Reality is far different than from what you write.

Picture_371.png

NetDoc:
We obviously have a different idea of "frequently". Once a month is not that frequent.

First you say, "I don't see this being argued," now you are admitting you've seen it, but dispute the frequency. The frequency is not the point. The lie that you don't see it being argued is the point.

NetDoc:
How would YOU know. Have you seen MOST instructors teach? I don't even think MOST instructors here on ScubaBoard would agree that they teach that way. Start a poll and see.

Point well taken. Most of the instructors I've observed since 1983 teach that way.

NetDoc:
Ask your peers in the Instructor's corner if you are biased against PADI.

There's no need. I know I am biased against PADI. I've never claimed otherwise. That's a far cry from having an anti-PADI agenda. The difference between my bias and yours is I'm aware of mine and try to overcome it. You seem to be unaware of yours.

NetDoc:
Oh, you mean those Happy divers?

Those and the ones who are not happy. Their happy quotient isn't a factor, it's their skill level. That skill level that could easily be higher.

NetDoc:
Dude, you were stressing, and I was stressing with you! It sounds like you are now rewriting history to suit you.

Not stressing. Most of it was actually fun. I was pissed off at them a couple of times for the crap they tried to pull, but the fact remains, it took very little of my time and attention. When it did take take and attention, I was totally focused on it, but most of my time devoted to the suit was actually talking to friends who were asking about the suit's status. It seems to me that you are still stressing over the suit. Let it go, get over it.

NetDoc:
Then stop misleading them. They are by your own admission HAPPY with their results.

What makes you believe I'm misleading the people who care about the issues I raise. What makes you think those people who care about the issues I raise are the happy folks to whom you referred? Having trouble keeping track of which point you're discussing at which time? Scroll back and read the reference, it'll help.

NetDoc:
Reality is far different than from what you write.

It is the height of arrogance to think you know my thoughts and feelings better than I know them. Pete, that's simply ridiculous.

There's no need. I know I am biased against PADI. I've never claimed otherwise. That's a far cry from having an anti-PADI agenda. The difference between my bias and yours is I'm aware of mine and try to overcome it. You seem to be unaware of yours.
Denial: not just another river in Egypt. Run that by any jury selection lawyer and see how fast they laugh you out of the courtroom.
It is the height of arrogance to think you know my thoughts and feelings better than I know them. Pete, that's simply ridiculous.
the height of arrogance is to believe that you are IMMUNE to your bias. I have never CLAIMED to know your feelings better than yourself, but no matter how much you protest about it, it's OBVIOUS by your actions that you are decidedly ANTI-PADI. You seem to take every opportunity to decry them and their instructors. You pass off your opinions like they are some kind of gospel. If we don't agree then we are LYING. It IS the instructor, old boy. It's why people sought YOU out as an instructor. They could give a flip about you being a part of the YMCA. People don't seek ME out because of NAUI, SDI or TDI, but because of what I teach them and HOW I teach them.

As it is, you are now a part of the problem. You have squandered away your ability to make a difference by your rancor against the agencies. Sure, you have a small cadre of instructors who somehow feel that Scuba Instruction has gone down hill. Thank God you are the minority! Not so surprisingly, you've successfully marginalized yourselves to the point where those who ARE in a position to make a difference shake their collective heads and smile condescendingly. They know that you just don't "get it".

PADI does what it advertises it does rather nicely: teach the world to dive. Most the people that I have met who have taken a PADI course are more than "OK" with it. They enjoyed the experience so much, that they encouraged a loved one to take it as well.
Even if true that's rather meaningless.
I have taught the e-learning classes for SDI and have found the comprehension by the students to be far superior than many of those who suffer through the traditional classes.
100% comprehension of the SDI e-learning means 100% comprehension of maybe 50% of what they should be learning. And I truly resent your gratuitous, "do you still beat your wife?" construct. No one has ever had to "suffer" though my classes ... and even if they did, better to suffer there in class than to suffer later out in the ocean, like the graduates of inadequate courses.:D
What is at the root of this is a large discrepancy over what many instructors see as "essential" skills. There are a few who would want all divers to come out as DMs or Master Diver caliber students. Never mind that MOST DIVERS do not want to make a career out of diving. They want to plop in the water and see all the pretty fishies. PADI enables that for a LOT of divers. Good for them.
What's wrong with having divers come out at Master Diver caliber? I do that routinely, and it's no big deal. I have no problem with people being trained to do nothing more than, "plop into the water and look a pretty fishes," but those people should not be "certified divers." They should receive some sort of credential that restricts them to diving with leadership personnel and that makes said leadership personnel responsible for their safety and any damage that they do to the environment.
The instructor makes more difference than any other mitigating factor other than student attitude. In fact, I would say that those who say differently have an Anti-PADI agenda (which you have) and are the REAL liars.
The worst NAUI instructor and the worst PADI instructor (assuming both are meeting standards) are turning out about the same product, with a slight edge going to the NAUI Instructor; The best PADI instructor is limited by standards, so the product that the best PADI instructor is permitted to turn out is only slightly better than the product of the worst PADI instructor. The product of the best NAUI Instructor, however, is much better than that of the best PADI instructor because the NAUI system does not have a quality governor built into it. Now ... is what I just said a lie? Is it an anti-PADI agenda item. Or is it just the God's honest truth?
... when you spew your elitism, ... I've seen your students. I would not ever call them DM quality. I think that's just a self perpetuating myth so you sound like you are an uber instructor or something.
What is wrong with striving to be the best possible? What is wrong with aspiring to an elite level rather than a mediocre level? I can't see why someone would want to be an unter instructor, except perhaps an unterwasser instructor (Tauchleher).:D
Denial: not just another river in Egypt. Run that by any jury selection lawyer and see how fast they laugh you out of the courtroom. the height of arrogance is to believe that you are IMMUNE to your bias. I have never CLAIMED to know your feelings better than yourself, but no matter how much you protest about it, it's OBVIOUS by your actions that you are decidedly ANTI-PADI. You seem to take every opportunity to decry them and their instructors. You pass off your opinions like they are some kind of gospel. If we don't agree then we are LYING. It IS the instructor, old boy. It's why people sought YOU out as an instructor. They could give a flip about you being a part of the YMCA. People don't seek ME out because of NAUI, SDI or TDI, but because of what I teach them and HOW I teach them.
Your logic is deficient. People seek me out as an instructor because of the job I did for them, or someone they know. I could not do that job within the PADI system. I could do that job within the NAUI system. That's a fact, not a bias.
As it is, you are now a part of the problem. You have squandered away your ability to make a difference by your rancor against the agencies. Sure, you have a small cadre of instructors who somehow feel that Scuba Instruction has gone down hill. Thank God you are the minority! Not so surprisingly, you've successfully marginalized yourselves to the point where those who ARE in a position to make a difference shake their collective heads and smile condescendingly. They know that you just don't "get it".
What ability to make what change? That's complete and utter crap.

Diving instruction, as measured by the capability of the diver completing an entry-level course, has diminished, that's demonstrable by doing nothing more that comparing the standards of today with those of ten, twenty and thirty years ago. The regression line has a definite negative slope.

The only reason that it is a minority of instructors who see that, is that it is a minority of instructors who have been certified for more than two or three years, very few are left who know anything about instruction, student quality or standards ten, twenty or thirty years ago. What has created a situation whereby the newbie instructors can get away with, "shaking their collective heads and smiling condescendingly" is the prevarication amongst some older instructors and fear of not being up on the latest trendy horse pucky amongst other older instructors.

Last edited:
Exactly! DM status costs around 100 bucks a year for which I really get nothing. Access to a website, a cheezy magazine where one of the latest quotes by the editor is that he loves diving with computers because he DOES NOT HAVE TO THINK! WTFS! ?? And the UW Journal which used to have some decent articles about diving is all marketing and elearning BS. And why will they not let independents make use of the elearning? I'm thinking mainly because indies do not spend enough money. Another crock o crap.

If it's really on no value, I stand corrected. I am not a DM nor an Instructor. If what you get is of so little value, there's no reason to spend the money.

On principle I'm against taking this training out of the classroom. If you are good on a computer I'm guessing that you could go thru the online portion in a couple days as I did with the book. Filled out all the knowledge reviews, went over them in a short class, got a little extra info and then 3 2-2 1/2 hour pool sessions. It seemed fine until I needed to start recalling some of that stuff on my own. I wonder how many would be academically "solid" if they waited two weeks or a month before taking the "quick review" if they did not have time to review it in the couple days before doing it?

A long time ago, in a land far away, the NAUI program was done completely in the classroom. I don't really recall how many sessions we had before we got to the pool but I do remember that we had to pass a test and could not miss ANY dive table questions. It was all lectures and drawings on a whiteboard. Just like every other class I had ever taken.

I also when going thru DM had to buy a 25 dollar ERDP that is now no good for classes. You have to buy an ERDP ML! What's next an ERDP ML PDQ? WHat a crock. WHat does the diver do when they are using this and it craps out or somebody sets a tank on it? Diving for the day is done! I can run over my tables with my Envoy and they will still work! I can set up a new plan underwater with my tables or the Wheel. Can't do this with the handy dandy dive planning gizmo by Ronco! I can do multi level dives on the Wheel as well as on the RDP and the ERDP.

The ERDP is a feeble attempt to get people past the dive table problems without ever having to understand the theory behind the tables. It doesn't even provide RNT!

Over the years I have heard a number of new divers complain about the tables. You can see numerous threads here on SB about them Really, if a student can't master tables, they should take up golf. Diving is beyond their reach!

And I also have an issue with the "distinctive specialties" or as I and a few others I know call them- the PT Barnum cards. For those who are a little younger Barnum coined the phrase-" There's a sucker born every minute." And this is what many of these seem to take advantage of and they even count towards the so-called master diver cert. I cannot morally and ethically teach stuff like this or be associated with an organization that does.

I think you're with a better organization (SEI) and I really hope the program can succeed and become a major player in the training field.

Richard

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom