The ultimate Cozumel dive ops thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point is neither to do a cost-comparative list (impossible as prices and offers vary depending on season, special deals… and IMO not the smartest way to pick a dive op) nor yet another cheerleading thread (plenty of those around) filled with love but too often useless in terms of actual information and relevance to the poster's needs.

The idea is to compile factual, useful info on the many different ops on the island so that people who have never been there can first get an idea of what the different options are. IE : you prefer boats with a head and giant stride entry, here are the shops that offer those. You want to be picked up north of Caleta, here are your options. You'd like to take an UW photography course, who offers that.

The way I see it, we could first gather all the input into one big messy thread, then verify and extract the relevant, factual, less susceptible to change info. It could then be compiled in one thread (all ops listed from North to South with northernmost pick-up location, contact info, and other useful factual details). Or split up in different threads to answer some common queries ("Ops that pick up in town" ; "Ops with later departure dates for cruise ships" ; "Ops with scheduled afternoon trips"…).
I'm aware that many ops are flexible and will adjust their departure times and locations if they have a big enough group of interested divers, that would be mentionned too, so I don't see how that would hurt their business.
It could even be split up in sub-sub-forums by individual dive op (such as the manufacturers' subforum), but with over 50 ops on the island, it might complicate things rather than clarify them.

I don't have a gun in this fight (don't own/work for a dive shop or any other business, even though many of my friends on the island do) and I don't believe there is such a thing as "the best" (even though the dive op I used and often recommand claims to be so :)). It all comes down to each individual visitor's needs and wants at a specific time. As a matter of fact, my former preferred op may not be the one I dive with on my next trip. Not because there's anything wrong with them, but my requirements have changed (only want to do short, shallow dives due to a DCSII hit and ensuing anxiety issues) so they are no longer the best match for me.

I remember when I planned my first trip on the island, I spent a lot of time doing research. Scubaboard was a great help, but it was still time consuming. I didn't mind as I enjoy doing research and checking facts (I'm a journalist/copyeditor), speaking English and Spanish helped. But for a newcomer who has no idea of how the island is laid out and little time to do his homework, it can get confusing. I met a girl 2 years ago who booked her flight+accomodations separately from her diving, and was bummed to have to take (and pay) a cab daily to the boat… when she could have just gotten a package for the same price with Aqua Safari a block away from her hotel. I've recently helped a couple of French divers who were about to book a 4-day stay at Ventanas del Mar (on the other side) thinking they could dive close by…

Cozumel is a great diving destination and island, but logistics wise, if you've never been there and don't stay at the resorts South of the ferry or rent a car/take cabs, it's not that easy to plan a trip there. Lots of info is available on this board, but it takes hours to read enough of it to get a somewhat full picture of the different options. I sincerely believe making a well thought-of list would be a valuable tool for prospective visitors as well as for the people who make a living on the island (customer easily finds what he is looking for, books a ticket, has the time of his life, repeats and tells his friends about it).

Whether and how we do that of course depends on having enough people here being on board. If not I'll just drop it right here. I don't really care either way.

If you wanted to do something like this, I would suggest less info, not more. Keep it simple. Do a single post for each shop, with basic name and contact info to make it easy for people who may be shopping for a dive op. No other chatter allowed in the thread. Include a link where people can post about their trip reports with that shop in a separate thread. If someone wants more information, they can read the report or contact the shop directly via the information provided. Something more like this:

How about we create a sort of directory, with as many details and useful information about the shops we know ?
Here's the format I suggest :

NAME OF DIVE SHOP

CONTACT INFO :

Link to thread containing trip reports for this op:

I don't think that's what Christi meant at all. Nothing shady about her (I've met her personnally and she is a well-respected professional on the island). Her regular prices are disclosed on her website, nothing hidden there, I think the issue here is more about not feeling comfortable with a list of dive ops and prices that may not take into account the different types and levels of services included, nor the deals offered on an individual basis (my guess is, a party of 4 customers diving everyday for a week in slow season would more likely be offered discounted rates vs. a single diver wanting to do a couple of dives during Xmas and NY). Nothing wrong with that, IMO, just basic business.
Likewise, having someone who got a great deal for any reason disclose that specific info would have awkward consequences ("why did they get a better rate than I did ? I thought we were friends ?")

It would seem from a sales perspective, a business would like to start a conversation before the customer sees the price. They might deal on some open space one month, but not in a high demand month. Or the better price for regulars. Or raise the price for jerky people to either move them on or collect for the bother! Not shady, just business.

Of course the flip is if customers do talk about their pricing, that tends to benefit the customers over the business. It makes sense customers would want to talk about it and see if they are getting a deal or not.

Perhaps something simpler might be a start. Pick the top five issues that you think are important and list those with all dive shops that meet it.

Example: Pick up north of town: Dive shop A, B, C
Pick up from Aldora pier and south: Dive shops A, B, C

Then have a list of websites and they can pick from those who meet their short list.

Personally, I have three big requirements: Shaded boats, large tanks, beach surface interval. I typically have to taxi to meet my dive op. I accept that but know it beforehand.

Another simple note is that people need access to where their hotel is located. Given that info, and that dive ops may not go far north of their starting point, people can eliminate dive ops or hotels depending upon which is their driving requirement.

Last edited:
Some good ideas and points expressed here.
I like to compare it to finding a dive boat here in California. Example, there is a website californiadiveboats.com that lists most of the boats and then breaks it down by their location, size of boat, air fill capacity/nitrox available, tanks provided if needed, galley size, bunks available/type, how many heads/showers, and a phone number/web link. No prices or schedules are given.
This is a good way to narrow down your search and find a boat or dive op to fit your specific needs.

So what you are saying Don, is that you just want to know what the deal is and you don't want there to be any room for getting a better deal or having specific requests accommodated? Sorry for you if that is the case.
Nope, not what I said at all. :shakehead:

I like the post #1 list and would like to see Ops offer that info on their webpages, and yeah - I like to see the basic rate structure rather than having to ask and wait for any of that info. I know that specials can be arranged but normally won't ask for one unless I am giving the Op at chance at a group or something.

What are you so defensive about? Last I looked, your site was quite informative. :idk:

From where I see it, anyone who is frequenting this board can easily extract the info they need or want from this site, or start a thread (as many do) asking for advice, and usually receiving many replies with lots of viable options.

And no one likes bad information. I think on the surface the idea is good, upon further consideration, there are so many ops on the island, some come and go, change names, etc., that it would be a daunting task to compile an accurate and complete list with pricing and logistical information.

That being said, I love this site and have lurked for years only recently contributing. Thanks for this site, it is awesome as is everyone who posts here.

Just my $.02.

I understand the need for, yet impracticality of providing, such a 'one stop data base' for dive op. comparisons. Ironically, when I look at Cozumel to day dream about a possible future trip, it's not so much the dive op. that is hard to select (on a cruise stop got to dive 2 tanks with Living Underwater 1-20-2011 & would use them again; small boat, big 120 cf steel tanks, good people, whoo-hoo!), but rather a resort. I've never stayed at a Cozumel resort. There are threads debating one vs. another, so at least I can see some options.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom