The ultimate Cozumel dive ops thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annlaur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A couple of years ago, I started a thread listing links to dive op reviews and trip reports hoping it would help newcomers choose an shop depending on their needs. That thread is now buried somewhere in the depth of this lively subforum, and probably outdated, so I figured I'd start a new one with a different approach.

How about we create a sort of directory, with as many details and useful information about the shops we know ?
Here's the format I suggest :

NAME OF DIVE SHOP

CONTACT INFO :

PICK UP LOCATION(S) :

AFFILIATED ACCOMODATIONS :

TYPE & NUMBER OF BOATS :

TANKS USED :

COST OF NITROX :

SHORE DIVING ?

SURFACE INTERVAL :

SERVICES/GOODIES OFFERED :

ACTIVITIES OFFERED (tech, cenotes, snorkeling…) :

AGENCY AFFILIATION :

COURSES OFFERED :

COST OF 2 TANK TRIP :

AVAILABILITY/COST OF AFTERNOON/NIGHT DIVES :

TYPICAL PROFILE/DIVING POLICY :

SHOP SPECIALTIES :

OTHER INFO :

REVIEW/CHEERLEADING :

Ann,

Please do not take offense, your idea is well intended I am sure, but as a dive shop owner (and I am certain that other owners would agree with this), I prefer not to have others speak as to what my prices, policies, deals are available, availability of night/afternoon dives, etc. Simply put, customers, fans, friends cannot speak for us when it comes to working out the details or putting a package together, ONLY the shop owner/manager can really answer these questions accurately. Posting all of the above (by people that truly do not know) may shy people away from even contacting certain shops and/or when they do - they may say, "but we read this on Scubaboard..." which can put the shop owner/manager in a bad position if the information is incorrect even in the slightest.

What fans, customers can and are encouraged to do is share your experiences - including what/why you like your favorite operation - and I don't mean "Dive shop X is THE BEST" - give YOUR reasons why you like your favorite shop(s) and others can decide who to contact based on that.

I hope that makes sense and that you understand where I am coming from!

Actually I do understand. Have been trying to fill out my own form for Aldora and realized doing so how much I didn't know (exact prices, size and number of boats, etc.). So started looking it up on their website all the while thinking that info might become obsolete (especially costs).
Still think a directory would be useful, especially regarding pick up locations. I see threads with people specifically saying they plan on staying in town being recommanded shops that, to my knowledge, don't pick up there.
Will think about another way to put this, way past my bedtime now.

Ann,
It's a moving target. It does seem that the same questions are asked over and over again. Would be nice for a data base but I'm not sure how that would be possible in a forum format? People seem to get their feathers ruffled (if ya' know what I mean). That being said, Organization is not my strong point. I've done some cheer leading of my own. If you can think of a way... Do it up, Impress me. I'll add my .02

Ann, I tend to agree with Christi. What we love about most of the dive ops are there pliability and the fact that their small size allows so much flexibility. Even a simple thing like pickup site might be open to change. A dive op that does not come to Aldora pier might be interested in doing so if 6 friends are going to be diving and staying at an in town hotel. I personally find that t the most accurate reporting of the real life experiences of a dive op might be descriptive reviews by customers - and besides we get to live for a few minutes vicariously through the reviewer :)

Sounds like a great out for every dive Op to use in updating websites. I like more disclosure when shopping, less dickering.

Deals change. Deals are different for long time repeat customers. People could enter false info for their preferred dive op. People could enter false info for their non-preferred dive op. Some folks would get into oneupsmanship - my op is better than your op. Escalating promotionalism. Shill posts. Touts of "the BEST" op on the island. Low signal to noise ratio. Ruffled feathers. Hurt feelings.

If there is an "ignore thread" list, it would be on mine. Nothing personal, Ann, but I think it's a bad idea.

Sounds like a great out for every dive Op to use in updating websites. I like more disclosure when shopping, less dickering.

Disclosure when shopping is with the merchant/vendor themselves - not by people who have used a certain shop/establishment once or twice or even 20 times. Only owners/management and authorized employees can negotiate deals whether they are set in stone prices/policies or whether there is room for negotiation on certain points - and I want the option to do that and give special deals when I can and/or when a situation warrants it.

So what you are saying Don, is that you just want to know what the deal is and you don't want there to be any room for getting a better deal or having specific requests accommodated? Sorry for you if that is the case.

Like Gordon said, deals change, deals are different for long time repeat customers, deals are different when we can make exceptions or special accommodations for groups, special occasions, etc. and sometimes we want to run promotions to introduce people to our services - absolutely no different than any other industry. I can tell you that I have some customer that have standing reservations with me certain times of the year and they log upwards of 100 dives per year with me for the past 7 - 8 years AND refer many divers to me - they do get a different deal, and they get VIP treatment - justifiably so. This is not to say that new customers and ALL customers are not appreciated - OF COURSE they are - but there is a "VIP Club" too - every single shop has one, I guarantee you.

.... but there is a "VIP Club" too - every single shop has one, I guarantee you.

Is this the same double secret club that was mentioned during the Scuba Mau deep dive thread?

Is this the same double secret club that was mentioned during the Scuba Mau deep dive thread?

No, my reference to a VIP is exactly what I described - those customers that are long time repeat customers that dive multiple times per year and refer people - they are going to get some pricing perks and they get their first choice of boat, DM, etc. - always! Ironically, they are usually the ones that ask for nothing, are willing to go with the flow, to be flexible and even give up some of their days to another group requesting the same DM. As to profiles their op permits, I can't speak to that.

Just as I said in my original post in this thread, no one except the owner/management can speak to their policies, procedures or even to how they treat VIP's and at what point they are willing to give them "special deals" in relation to the rest of their client base - but we al have them (VIP's), they are part of ANY business, so no one should be surprised by that. It's not about playing favorites, it's about acknowledging those that have been instrumental in helping your business grow and succeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom