The truth of U-869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hah! Mike you beat me to the punch! (I figured Bobby would have) I just checked my email and found the same thing...ANOTHER book! (can't wait!:popcorn:)

I guess he's been writing "science fiction" again...

Anyway, to add...there's a three part series on the U-Who staring in Wreck Diver magazine...I just got my new issue today. (THANKFULLY it's written by Chatterton, Kohler, and Yurga)

As he so wonderfully stated: STAY TUNED!:confused::confused::confused:

Hah! Mike you beat me to the punch! (I figured Bobby would have) I just checked my email and found the same thing...ANOTHER book! (can't wait!:popcorn:)

I guess he's been writing "science fiction" again...

Anyway, to add...there's a three part series on the U-Who staring in Wreck Diver magazine...I just got my new issue today. (THANKFULLY it's written by Chatterton, Kohler, and Yurga)

As he so wonderfully stated: STAY TUNED!:confused::confused::confused:

This is the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th "STAY TUNDED" he's given.

He either has the "facts" or he doesn't. If he's got some evidence that proves something otherwise, it's time to lay it on the table instead of playing charades....

I've got nothing against Gary Gentile. I'm sure he could dive circles around me.

But I can't understand this bickering and accusations without proof, when he says he has proof and to "stay tuned" for it. I mean time to put your cards on the table.

This is the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th "STAY TUNDED" he's given.

He either has the "facts" or he doesn't. If he's got some evidence that proves something otherwise, it's time to lay it on the table instead of playing charades....

I've got nothing against Gary Gentile. I'm sure he could dive circles around me.

But I can't understand this bickering and accusations without proof, when he says he has proof and to "stay tuned" for it. I mean time to put your cards on the table.

I agree, I've read a bunch of his other books, and I respect the hell out of the guy for his accomplishments, he's been to places, I know I'll never even DREAM about getting to, but this "stay tuned" stuff, and his obsession with disproving SD has got to end soon! I remember two or three of his emails ago he said he had BIG NEWS so stay tuned! :rofl3:

Throw it out there, and let's have it....SDE didn't uncover anything more than a "he said - she said" and if someone has proof that they dived the U-869 before the "events" great, but if they did, they apparently didn't tell anyone, nor did they identify it (and again, if they did they didn't tell anyone) WE can only sit, watch, wait and :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Rawls: If you're still out there:

I have no dog in this fight however...........you mention the U 352.

I have had numerous conversations with the son and grandson of L/C Maurice Jester USCG, the skipper of the Icarus which sunk the U 352 regarding the events of the sinking. The famly retains a collection of photographs that were taken after the sinking that are very interesting.

Maurice Jester is the great grandfather of my wife. As a matter of interest Floyd Jester, the skippers son, was also in the Coast Guard at the time.

I have no position on either book, nor do I plan to read them as they are of no value to me. however, I am confused about what you are saying ( or what Gentile wrote ) regarding the sinking of the U 352. Please clarify if you can.

I'm not saying it is the case here, but I will however comment that too many books are written by "professional" authors that possess no personal knowledge or experience. Others just research & borrow information from previous books and publications & sometimes they manage an interview or two. Yes! if you check such writers, they wrote on several unrelated subjects- whatever they think will sell.

Since the survivors of the U 352 have had various reunions over the years, I suspect some of them (at least those that live in Southern France) are still alive.

Back to the SD vs SDE debate I think SD is an excellent book and gripping from the beginning. I think that SDE is a far lesser quality book and I had to force myself to read it.

However, that being said, I think its pretty clear that SDE is certainly the more believable of the two. Whether or not SDE is indeed more factual, it certainly seems more realistic and whenever I read of heroic tales (such as SD) I am inclined to think that there is more to it than that - as we all probably know, thats the way life is. Most things are team efforts.

JC said him self that exaggerations were made for SD - I have no problem with this as it makes for better reading, however claiming it as factual is simply wrong.

Good grief ... I thought this horse died like, a year ago.

Tonka ... if you grind that axe any harder all you're gonna end up with is a handle ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good grief ... I thought this horse died like, a year ago.

Tonka ... if you grind that axe any harder all you're gonna end up with is a handle ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PLEASE DON'T SUMMON THE DEMONS!!!!!!!!!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Anyway....Some of us who get email updates from Gary G's camp have been "hanging on" waiting for the updates on his latest smoking gun....about every 3-5 months we get another tease with promises of more info in the next newsletter....

I think one of the main points of SD was the race to identify the sub. It really didn't matter who found it first. The "owners" would be the ones who finally identified it. That's where Gary's sour grapes comes from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom