The truth of U-869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't using Java or Javascript to display it, just plain HTML with CSS styles. What's your browser? Load the page, view page source, and search for Hitler. I can see it with Firefox, IE6, and IE7.

IE6 at work and IE7 at home. I can view it fine at home. Must have been a browser issue at work.

thanks for your help.

BINGO!
Self publishing is a vanity exercise......

Self-publishing makes one vain? I would have to strongly disagree with that. Sometimes its simply a case of economics.
For instance, I self-published a book that sold over 4,000 copies. I am now working on a book for an established publisher, and I will be lucky to make 10% of the profit I made on my self-published work, even if the other book sells twice as many (or more) copies.

Keep in mind, diving is a niche sport with a limited audience (i.e., in regard to shipwreck history books).

well i dont know what the conflict is about but this thread got me interested enough to local a local supplier and buy SDE.....

cheers

Self-publishing makes one vain? I would have to strongly disagree with that. Sometimes its simply a case of economics.
For instance, I self-published a book that sold over 4,000 copies. I am now working on a book for an established publisher, and I will be lucky to make 10% of the profit I made on my self-published work, even if the other book sells twice as many (or more) copies.

Keep in mind, diving is a niche sport with a limited audience (i.e., in regard to shipwreck history books).

You are correct, when I was typing that I was in a cross conversation with someone about a specific instance related to a textbook. The professor self published a text and made it mandatory for a class, so there was a captive audience and a revenue stream handy.

In some circumstances self publishing takes place for reasons other than economics or niche market.

Checked your profile, and was about to post how you looked like John Chatterton! Then I noticed Richie and observed you were the 'filling' of the sandwich.

Loyalty to friends is good.

Doubt if you have read Gentile's Shadow Divers Exposed.

Read and compare...

or not!

:coffee:
I wouldn't exactly call John or Richie "friends." I met them both, and Kurson too, at a book signing where that photo was taken. I had even forgotten it was in my profile it was so long ago.:rofl3: I'd like to think that I am a pretty good judge of character, and all three of them were extremely humble and self-effacing in their speeches. There was no bragging or showing off. They were all extremely sincere and modest. I am well aware of the competition between NJ and NY wreck divers. I met another diver who was part of the NY wreck diving gang (the competitor of Nagle's) and not more than 15 minutes into our conversation, he couldn't resist the urge to bad mouth Chatterton. And yet I have never heard John or Richie say a single bad thing about anyone else the few times I've spoken to them (like at Beneath the Sea). Then again, I never had "private" conversations with them so who knows what they may say to their close friends. All I know is that 2 working guys made it big. During the book reading I went to, when it was Richie's turn to speak, he said Deep Sea Detectives changed his life. He had a chance to dive for a living instead of selling glass. Sounds like a dream come true for a lot of people so I can understand the jealousy. If I wanted to read a more "accurate" second account, I would read the Last Dive because I don't think that author had an ax to grind.
Also, in case anyone is interested, Bob Kurson does have another book out besides the Stooges book. Amazon.com: Crashing Through: A True Story of Risk, Adventure, and the Man Who Dared to See: Books: Robert Kurson
BTW, at the book reading, Kurson made it very clear that when he first started interviewing John and Richie about U Who, they were more interested in telling the story about the finding the sub and identifying it. They really didn't want to become the central characters of the story. It was Bob who thought that John and Richie were extremely interesting people and his idea to make their personal stories more prominent when telling the rest of the tale.

For the benefit of those interested, I did a little analysis of the average Amazon.com user review for Shadow Divers Exposed. Here is what I came up with:

The average Amazon.com user review for Shadow Divers Exposed by Gary Gentile was 3 stars based on 20 reviews. I was also interested in how many users found the reviews useful. In the reviews that received 4 or 5 stars, only 52 of 161 (32.3%) users found the review useful as opposed to if it was rated 3 stars or less, 252 of 299 (84.3%) found the review useful.

Finally, I compared and contrasted the rating of both Shadow Divers and Shadow Divers Exposed:

Shadow Divers
5 Stars: 207
4 Stars: 44
3 Stars: 7
2 Stars: 6
1 Star: 6
Total: 270

Shadow Divers Exposed
5 Stars: 7
4 Stars: 1
3 Stars: 2
2 Stars: 1
1 Star: 9
Total: 20

*Warning, my personal opinion follows for the remainder of this post*

It seems to me that Shadow Divers is one of those books you love and Shadow Divers Exposed is one of those books you either love or hate.

Additionally, I have met Chatterton and have spoken with him in person over the course of a day and continue to regularly communicate with him via email. I think he is a very humble and down to earth guy who is enthusiastic about scuba diving and history and enjoys sharing that excitement with others. I have never heard him discredit anyone else in order to support Shadow Divers or his personal character. In fact, I have never heard him attempt to discredit anyone at all.

Lastly, I have never met nor communicated with Gary Gentile and therefore I do not have any basis to form an opinion on him other than from hearsay. Since hearsay is not admissible in the court of law, I will not speak about him nor nor insult the readers of this post by stating my opinions based on what other people have said, good or bad.

Aye, that's the rub! I've also self-published two textbooks in a niche market. With self-publishing you have all the gain and all the pain. But you are in control of the process. Whereas with a large publisher, you just hope to be kept in the front of their stable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom