The "Thanks" button is gone.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure see some thank worthy posts here :D

As someone on DNY suggested maybe someone left the Thanks button in their locked truck, while diving on Bonaire, and it was proptly stolen?

Or maybe the Thanks button had a tragic flipflop accident... :dork2:

The world was a better place with Wormil here :D.....oh and too bad about the Thanks button just so I am on topic.

Well, darn. There goes my goal of accumulating a bajillion "Thanks" on Scubaboard.

So let me ask a couple of questions:

Honestly, do you look at the number of "Thanks!" a particular post receives to judge whether or not it is worthy, or do you make that determination yourself? Do you attribute any sort of esteem to any member just because they have xxx,xxx "Thanks!" received? Other than a convenient way to voice your agreement with a particular post, what has been lost?

Or maybe the Thanks button had a tragic flipflop accident... :dork2:

You forgot the sweet tea. The two combined are deadly :D

I personally just thought the "Thanks" tally was a fun thing to watch. My previous comment on this topic was more facetious than anything. I'm not going to stress or lose sleep over the loss of the "Thanks" button.

Personally, I don't look at thanks received on anyones profile. Really doesn't matter. However, when a post is informative and helpful, seems to make more sense to click thanks, than force everyone to read a hundred posts that just say thanks.

Rly! Whodathunkit?

No offense, Pete, but obviously not you. You have confused members, members who used the thanks in fun, members who are ambivalent, and members who lobbied to have the thanks button taken away... A SCUBABOARD community.

We all have SCUBA in common and love it because it's fun. No one does anything voluntarily that isn't fun and being a member on this board should be too. When there is a small percentage of us pretty much keeping to the Lionfish thread getting out the word on it's destruction and utilizing the THANKS button to have that fun, what harm are we doing?

If you're intentions were to bring everyone's awareness to our usage of the thank you button, then THANK YOU cuz you've done an admirable job and most probably boosted SCUBABOARD's internet hits. However, if your intention was to bring this SCUBABOARD community closer, I feel you've definitely fallen off the mark.

Pete, it isn't helping that people are asking reasonable questions and not getting answers. This is pretty poor PR all the way around.

Actually, I have tried hard to answer the questions I could. Unfortunately, most users don't get to see the most vituperative posts since our mods are usually quick at cleaning up (when reported). I am not going to violate terms of privacy or my ethics in order to make a point and trot these out either. Also, a number of my answers have been simply rejected or ignored. They are still the answers, even though some may not like them.

As a whole, the mod squad has decided that something should be done about the thanks button and that was based on our collective experience in trying to keep things civil here on ScubaBoard. In actuality, I misunderstood the consensus of the mods when I totally killed the thanks button. For this, you have my sincere apologies. However, since they have clued me in a bit on what was actually decided, we are taking a bit of time to get it right. Your input (for and against) has been invaluable and as always, we endeavor to serve the community as a whole and not just the squeaky wheels.

While some people may choose to express their extreme dislike for me, the feelings are not mutual. It is flattering and appreciated that some will come to defend me, but please, that really isn't necessary. I learn from every critic, whether they like me or not. I try to operate ScubaBoard by committee, and very seldom exercise my veto power. After ten years, it has seemed to work well for us. Every now and then, someone gets bent out of shape at some decision here and starts a forum that is supposed to bury us. After all sorts of promises about how their forums will flourish, not one really has gelled like ScubaBoard. No one here is irreplaceable: not even me. Make that ESPECIALLY me. As I have said on many occasions, while I may own the domain, I do not own the community. It's an entity to itself and I like it that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom