The "Thanks" button is gone.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I read threw this and think about the whole issue I think losing the Thanks button is really a loss. I have found it a nice way to easily let someone know their comments or suggestions were appreciated, without needing to post a reply. It was also somewhat satisfying to see a thanks on one of my own posts, because it meant someone had read it and found it of value.

If a few members wish to play around with the Thanks button, to amuse themselves, why should that cause a problem for others? Often the offended are simply looking for someone or something to be offended by, and any issue will do.

It seems to me that those who would take such light hearted amusement by someone else so seriously, become offended, and then complain enough to force an alteration in everyone else's behaviors, have serious emotional issues. It feels like a form of censorship of the larger group, by a few malcontents, and troublemakers who wish to control the behaviors of others.

Maybe we should start a movement of our own, to replace the Thanks button, and remove the would be thought control police?

Well said.

Interesting, the one's that most likely would be accused of abusing the "Thanks" button have not posted in this thread.

That's because we were actually discussing it in private so as not to create unnecessary drama, Jenny.

To Pete:
We've basically all come to the same conclusion. Those "abusing" the thanks button did it out of a mixture of humor and possible boredom. We meant no harm and did not realize it was causing an "unhealthy polarization of the community". If you had simply come to us and said, "hey guys, this is causing a lot of tension [for whatever reason] on the board and we're going to have to remove the thanks button", we would have stopped.

I agree with the posters who find the Thanks feature useful, and I agree with those who don't think it's fair to "punish" the many for the actions of few.

All those who "abused" the thanks button are completely willing to stop the "abuse". It was never that big of a deal to us, and who knew so many people were so upset by it... :idk:

Therefore I really don't see any reason why SB can't bring back the Thanks button. Heck even reset the Thanks count of all who "abused" if you would like. Or if you feel we need to be punished, then just take our Thanks ability away, and restore it for everyone else.

This issue has been made exponentially bigger than it ever should have, and I think this post presents an easy resolution for people on both sides of the apparently polarizing issue.

As always, your input and comments were invaluable in reaching this decision. Now it's back to your regularly scheduled thankless program!

Was there a thread about this somewhere? If so I missed it. It doesn't seem that the input and comments of the majority of users were actually invaluable since I never saw them solicited.

How much harm did the thanking club sort of 'abuse' cause exactly? I'd really love to read the backroom discussion on this...

*sigh*

I think the only thing the "Thanks" button really divided was what made SB a little bit more fun than other boards.

I don't know how a thanks button could be abused Trace. If someone made a good point from my perspective, I thanked them. It showed appreciation and support.

It seems that some people didn't like the acknowledgment that certain individuals received. This is especially true when it disagreed with the opinion of management. Imo, this site seems to be becoming more and more this way. Perhaps management will come up with a thanks button that will only work if it conforms with the 'correct opinion.' :wink:

I could quote and use my new smilie I suppose...

qoxanc.gif

I don't know how a thanks button could be abused Trace. If someone made a good point from my perspective, I thanked them. It showed appreciation and support.

It seems that some people didn't like the acknowledgment that certain individuals received. This is especially true when it disagreed with the opinion of management. Imo, this site seems to be becoming more and more this way. Perhaps management will come up with a thanks button that will only work if it conforms with the 'correct opinion.' :wink:

Thanks

To Pete:
We've basically all come to the same conclusion. Those "abusing" the thanks button did it out of a mixture of humor and possible boredom. We meant no harm and did not realize it was causing an "unhealthy polarization of the community". If you had simply come to us and said, "hey guys, this is causing a lot of tension [for whatever reason] on the board and we're going to have to remove the thanks button", we would have stopped.

I agree with the posters who find the Thanks feature useful, and I agree with those who don't think it's fair to "punish" the many for the actions of few.

All those who "abused" the thanks button are completely willing to stop the "abuse". It was never that big of a deal to us, and who knew so many people were so upset by it... :idk:

Therefore I really don't see any reason why SB can't bring back the Thanks button. Heck even reset the Thanks count of all who "abused" if you would like. Or if you feel we need to be punished, then just take our Thanks ability away, and restore it for everyone else.

This issue has been made exponentially bigger than it ever should have, and I think this post presents an easy resolution for people on both sides of the apparently polarizing issue.

Thanks.

Dam, the button was a lot easier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom