The "Thanks" button is gone - Take II.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Scubaboard sticker instantly increases the value of any vehicle by at least 10%.*

*Your results may vary, since 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot. While a Scubaboard sticker will more than double the value of a '74 Pinto (though the Pinto may decrease the value of the Scubaboard sticker), appreciation of a 2010 Lexus is not measurably increased by the sticker. Sorry - the addition of a Scubaboard sticker will not make a 1985 Yugo worth anything, no matter how many Scubaboard stickers you attach to it.

I personally liked the thanks button. I signed up to be a supporting member because of the lawsuit. All I wanted in return was some scubaboard stickers. Were the discussions regarding taking away the thanks button so intense that no one has time to return the 3 private messages that I have sent requesting them? (over the course of 6 weeks, I didn't bombard anyone) I mean f@ck, not even a we are out of stickers reply? And I still have ads.

You can also just install the Ad Blocker Plus plug-in for Firefox and that will get rid of all ads.... here as well as everywhere else.

Is there the possibility that someone could run up their "Thanks!" count in so many of those nonsensical threads that it would lend an air of "Earned Authority" to them, and possibly mislead a newer or uneducated member into considering what they say, whether it was sound advice or not? I realize that subsequent posts may clarify that bad information, but what if it is clarified by members with lower "Thanks!" counts- does that make their opinions appear to be of less authority?

And is it the person we are thanking, or that particular post's information? Wouldn't the number of "Thanks!" a post received be a better indicator of it's worth than the number of "Thanks!" the poster receives?

As long as I can remember, ebay has had a problem with users artificially improving their own feedback score. Ebay does their best to stay on top of these techniques and penalizes users that get caught... but it still happens.

Could you imagine if the geniuses at ebay decided to just "do away" with the feedback score feature just because some bad apples exploit it??

They would die a very quick death... I mean who would buy anything from a person with no feedback score?

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb,

Is there the possibility that someone could run up their "Thanks!" count in so many of those nonsensical threads that it would lend an air of "Earned Authority" to them, and possibly mislead a newer or uneducated member into considering what they say, whether it was sound advice or not? I realize that subsequent posts may clarify that bad information, but what if it is clarified by members with lower "Thanks!" counts- does that make their opinions appear to be of less authority?

Probably, but not for long. It took me a while before I even noticed the "Thanks" feature. I had already gotten a sense of members that posted information that I found valuable and a few that I considered banishing via Ignore.

And is it the person we are thanking, or that particular post's information?

I would say both. Thanking a person for posting information that you think is useful or that you agree with is the same thing.

Wouldn't the number of "Thanks!" a post received be a better indicator of it's worth than the number of "Thanks!" the poster receives?

I find both a useful indicator that I take under advisement, but not as gospel. Quite often, the names listed under "Thanks" are far more useful to me than the size of the list. However, the total number of "Thanks" link allowed everyone to drill down and see what they were thanked for. Reviewing a few of these and comparing it to their profile pretty quickly reveals someone messaging their ego or trying to justify their views rather than trying to contribute to the diving community.

A Scubaboard sticker instantly increases the value of any vehicle by at least 10%.*

*Your results may vary, since 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot. While a Scubaboard sticker will more than double the value of a '74 Pinto (though the Pinto may decrease the value of the Scubaboard sticker), appreciation of a 2010 Lexus is not measurably increased by the sticker. Sorry - the addition of a Scubaboard sticker will not make a 1985 Yugo worth anything, no matter how many Scubaboard stickers you attach to it.

Thanks

Probably, but not for long. It took me a while before I even noticed the "Thanks" feature. I had already gotten a sense of members that posted information that I found valuable and a few that I considered banishing via Ignore.

I would say both. Thanking a person for posting information that you think is useful or that you agree with is the same thing.

I find both a useful indicator that I take under advisement, but not as gospel. Quite often, the names listed under "Thanks" are far more useful to me than the size of the list. However, the total number of "Thanks" link allowed everyone to drill down and see what they were thanked for. Reviewing a few of these and comparing it to their profile pretty quickly reveals someone messaging their ego or trying to justify their views rather than trying to contribute to the diving community.

Damn Straight!
You Rock!
I concur with your conclusions.

This will get annoying.

Bring back the button... it helps more than it could possibly hurt... if hurt by Thanks is really even possible. But to limit Thanks, C'mon

Question for the board: If you can selectively add/remove the feature only on certain threads, could you please limit your use of this, on a case by case basis, only if it's an issue so the vast majority may continue to Thank in peace?

Last edited:
I personally liked the thanks button. I signed up to be a supporting member because of the lawsuit. All I wanted in return was some scubaboard stickers. Were the discussions regarding taking away the thanks button so intense that no one has time to return the 3 private messages that I have sent requesting them? (over the course of 6 weeks, I didn't bombard anyone) I mean f@ck, not even a we are out of stickers reply? And I still have ads.

I never received mine either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom