Asking to the Gurus, is the Purge Button Depressor a good idea ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As per this thread New Dacor Extreme 1st and Pacer XLE 2nd..in need of a service kit for both! DACOR came with a device called Purge Button Depressor installed in the second stage. The idea was that the purge button is kept pressed during storage so as the 2nd stage seat is not pressed by the nozzle for the time it's not used.
Is this any good ?
I've not seen this in any other brand or second stage.
DACOR second stage like the PACER has the form that allows to install easily such a device.
Dacor Extreme 1st stage and Pacer XLE 2nd. 1.jpg

Classic Scubapro regulators (108, 109, 126, 156) were sold with a small blue plug to be inserted in the S logo exactly for this purpose.

I've bought 2 second hand DACOR 900 + PACERs reg sets something like 12 years ago. I'm still using them. They came without that PBD device. I do my own services.
As I intend to use them several years more I build that PBD with my 3D printer.
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0574.JPG

Personally, I think it's a great idea as it keeps the needle off of the seat.

Classic Scubapro regulators (108, 109, 126, 156) were sold with a small blue plug to be inserted in the S logo exactly for this purpose.

No they weren't

Here the Scubapro plug, label L as an accessory in 1980 catalog:
SCUBAPRO-Catalogo-1980-26.jpg

The text explains clearly the purpose of this plastic piece.
Here you see it attached to the "safety chord" on a black-coated MK5+109 (special "military grade" version developed for Italian Navy):
9uqw3q4-1_orig.jpg

There is a more recent version, mushroom-shaped.
Here you see it together with the Mark X Dual Balanced. This was the version to be "keyed in" in the hole of the Scubapro S logo:
1a_171_orig.jpg

A very similar plug was also supplied with the Scubapro Air 1, which had a special slot for inserting it in the center of the S logo:

Air-1.jpg

Why not built into second stage itself, like G260.

Why not built into second stage itself, like G260.
Also the G250V had a self locking purge button. This was 40 years later, indeed...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom