Asking to the Gurus, is the Purge Button Depressor a good idea ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a few of those purge depressors. I’m not really sold on them though. I think by holding the purge open like that it can let contamination into the LP hose, it also puts pressure on the spring for days-weeks-months-years at a time. And the rubber purge cover takes a set. I’d rather just change out the poppet disc on a duro poppet every once in a while. On the balanced units I don’t worry about it since the spring is so light it doesn’t put much pressure on the seat (unless it’s pressurized).

I have a few of those purge depressors. I’m not really sold on them though. I think by holding the purge open like that it can let contamination into the LP hose, it also puts pressure on the spring for days-weeks-months-years at a time. And the rubber purge cover takes a set. I’d rather just change out the poppet disc on a duro poppet every once in a while. On the balanced units I don’t worry about it since the spring is so light it doesn’t put much pressure on the seat (unless it’s pressurized).
Springs are loaded anyway.
Rubber flex covers are crap. And you are right. I wouldn't put a depressor in a rubber cover.
I've already replaced the rubber cover by a button cover in my regs. The button cover I did with my 3D printer with my own design.

Overall the button depressors are a good idea, they can increase service intervals with just a slight relief of spring pressure. The were more prevalent in the days of unbalanced heavy spring Regs but help even today.

Springs are loaded anyway.
Rubber flex covers are crap. And you are right. I wouldn't put a depressor in a rubber cover.
I've already replaced the rubber cover by a button cover in my regs. The button cover I did with my 3D printer with my own design.
I’m talking about my SP 109’s. They have the silicone inner main diaphragm, then there’s the rubber diaphragm cover which goes over the silicone one which is the purge button, then over that is the metal cover. Maybe back in the day when those rubber covers were around by the thousands nobody cared . They were also young and supple. Now days it’s hard to find good original ones and many are stiff and take a set when held in a depressed position too long.

I’m talking about my SP 109’s. They have the silicone inner main diaphragm, then there’s the rubber diaphragm cover which goes over the silicone one which is the purge button, then over that is the metal cover. Maybe back in the day when those rubber covers were around by the thousands nobody cared . They were also young and supple. Now days it’s hard to find good original ones and many are stiff and take a set when held in a depressed position too long.
The newer version of the Scubapro plug was developed exactly for addressing the problems caused by the first version of their depressor.
The new version is "keyed in" the metal S logo, keeping the rubber cover well extended, while pushing slightly in the diaphragm.

For regs with a rubber purge cover, purge depressors run the risk of making take a set (later SP ones solved this by going through the "S" logo instead of pressing the rubber down).
For button type purges (like the Pacer or Aqualung Conshelf series), you can significantly extend the shelf life of installed second stage seats.

Respectfully,

James

For regs with a rubber purge cover, purge depressors run the risk of making take a set (later SP ones solved this by going through the "S" logo instead of pressing the rubber down).
For button type purges (like the Pacer or Aqualung Conshelf series), you can significantly extend the shelf life of installed second stage seats.

Respectfully,

James
James makes the later type of seat saver which works well.

Respectfully,

James
Oh OK, now I get it.
It’s a seat saver that goes THROUGH the “S” logo on the rubber cover and only pushes on the silicone diaphragm plate. Disregard my PM, I thought it was something else.
👍👍

Also the G250V had a self locking purge button. This was 40 years later, indeed...
As does the current Scubapro G260. Push the purge button in and give it a slight twist and it locks in the seat saver position. Pushing the purge button in releases it.

James

Rubber flex covers are crap.
Aren't they though! Whoever thought the rubber flex covers were a better idea to a traditional button should be keel hauled. And it has spread like Covid if I dare! And the vaunted Scubapro R109 and later the Balanced Adjustable have the flex covers and are one of the earliest examples of such. Here I go again blaspheming the holy grail R109 and in saying that I have three lovely examples I cherish and just got a beautiful Balanced Adjustable. It sits there so beautiful, such a lovely thing (very, very expensive and worth every penny :wink: ), that rays of golden light emanate from it and yet I am here to say, I agree, rubber flex covers of any ilk are crap!

James

Back
Top Bottom