The Tank Valve Feathering/Modulation Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure anyone quoted spoke to their personal limitations (although someone may have) I believe the discussion was more what SHOULD be encouraged at the OW level. And I am in complete agreement with everyone who is at odds with your opinion on this topic... Feathering a valve on one's back in the situation described is NOT a basic ow skill. Sure, fun to practice to build skills as one is moving forward in learning... But basic? No way, no how.

Wish there was a dislike button!

Argue & whine for your own limitations ---they are alll just yours.

Those who have rhe ability, dexterity and coordination should not be discouraged from practicing it - in a pool for starters with a buddy at depth. . .

Argue & whine for your own limitations ---they are alll just yours.Those who have rhe ability, dexterity and coordination should not be discouraged from practicing it - in a pool for starters with a buddy at depth. . .
Your post stated that this should be taught at OW or AOW. It should NOT. It is a technical diver skill, and belongs firmly in that realm. OW divers are taught adequate skills for dealing with a free-flowing regulator; including how to breathe from one, how to ascend directly to the surface, and how to orally inflate their BCD there.

They do not need to be taught a confusing, stressful skill like trying to feather a valve while already dealing with a stressful event like a regulator free-flow.
Teaching this to Rec. divers also does not increase their abilities. What is gained from this skill? A Rec. diver has enough air to conduct an ascent. This technique does NOT solve their problem, it only increases the time they can stay at depth with a serious gear malfunction. Remaining at depth makes no sense. They should be ascending to the surface. This makes the problem worse, not better!

Argue and whine for your own skills, unnecessary as they are. Proper gear maintenance will prevent this from happening. Proper Buddy procedures and gear configuration make this unnecessary.

You also err in apply in applying this only in your own realm of kelp, drysuits, ‘typical’ 2-4 seas SoCal diving. This is not the entire world of diving. As a skill, this has no place in the rec. diving world. It belongs to tech divers. You’re not finding any support here, as this attack of the Good Idea Fairy has been defeated by common sense.

Oh, and next time you want to respond, maybe you’d like to explain how expanding air inside a drysuit will “shrink-wrap” a diver. Perhaps you should take a basic physics lesson before preaching an idea to teach technical diving skills to new OW students.

Better yet, why not trying to address the points raised in counter to your ‘idea’, rather than just empty whining?

HEAR, HEAR!

Argue & whine for your own limitations ---they are alll just yours.

Those who have rhe ability, dexterity and coordination should not be discouraged from practicing it - in a pool for starters with a buddy at depth. . .

I see that starting this thread was just another opportunity to flex your ego.

That you do so at the expense of reason is just laughable.

Personally, I think OW should be discouraged from considering shutting down their only tank. It's a fool-hardy practice. Better a free-flow than no gas... especially when the surface is accessible.

Why not suggest tokAG to design some over-complicated, failure-ridden and mega-expensive equipment solution to this non-existent problem? That seems to be the modus operandi...

You could test it in Truk... and tell us all about it in every thread for the next decade...

I see that starting this thread was just another opportunity to flex your ego.

That you do so at the expense of reason is just laughable.

Personally, I think OW should be discouraged from considering shutting down their only tank. It's a fool-hardy practice. Better a free-flow than no gas... especially when the surface is accessible.

Why not suggest tokAG to design some over-complicated, failure-ridden and mega-expensive equipment solution to this non-existent problem? That seems to be the modus operandi...

You could test it in Truk... and tell us all about it in every thread for the next decade...

I'm not sure anyone quoted spoke to their personal limitations (although someone may have) I believe the discussion was more what SHOULD be encouraged at the OW level. And I am in complete agreement with everyone who is at odds with your opinion on this topic... Feathering a valve on one's back in the situation described is NOT a basic ow skill. Sure, fun to practice to build skills as one is moving forward in learning... But basic? No way, no how.

In my own NAUI BOW class way back in 1997, we were drilled on turning on/off our cylinder valves at depth. We also did the four corner confined underwater swim at 3m/10' --swimming to & breathing off of four tanks consecutively before a "blow & go" to the pool's surface. Even did the old LA County equipment "ditch n' don" drill. (Only regret was the valve feather ascent technique wasn't taught). A very comprehensive and challenging course back in the day --and NAUI BOW at the time was considered soft compared to LA County's basic Scuba certification (both agency certs required Skin Diver prereqs to begin with).

Y'all as present day "advanced open water divers" have no excuses. . .

Speaking down to an entire population of divers because they did not get their cert from a specific agency or from the same decade (or earlier) as oneself is not going to add to one's credibility - it is just going to make them look condescending.

Y'all as present day "advanced open water divers" have no excuses. . .

How much credibility can a guy have who thinks that a drysuit "shrink-wraps" as you ascend?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Methinks some one is trying to over complicate life. Good time to consider Ockhams Razor. The simplest solution is normally always the best.

Head for the surface. Do not needlessly fiddle with your gear.

Speaking down to an entire population of divers because they did not get their cert from a specific agency or from the same decade (or earlier) as oneself is not going to add to one's credibility - it is just going to make them look condescending.
Well said.
The words arrogant, annoying, blow-hard and jerk also fit.

I'd say more, but this...individual...isn't worth the waste of time of reading his drivel.

Well said.
The words arrogant, annoying, blow-hard and jerk also fit.

I'd say more, but this...individual...isn't worth the waste of time of reading his drivel.
I'm simply a mirror in this instance . . .it's not my problem if you don't like what you see. (Or choose to be unmotivated by a little chiding).

---------- Post added April 26th, 2014 at 09:37 PM ----------

How much credibility can a guy have who thinks that a drysuit "shrink-wraps" as you ascend?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You have to exhaust the expanding air Bob . . .or do you like use your Drysuit all the time for buoyancy, surfacing bloated like the "Michelin Man"?

Yet again Kev, you make ridiculous comments then personally attack anyone tho points out your flawed logic.
Don't bother replying cause this hater is not going to bother revisiting this stupid thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom