The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very Funny :wink: you need to turn in your man card :D

She took it the first week:rofl3:But I've learned new things, like the color sea foam and aquired a taste for granola and bean sprouts. :)

Very Funny :wink: you need to turn in your man card :D

Wasting your time Parrot. By now it should be clear to everyone that these people are only interested in one thing, ATTENTION. Very similar to a two year old throwing a tantrum. I'm 23 days out and counting.

On another board someone asked for a T-shirt so I got inspired...

Say NO to H1N1 Hype : Antonio's Cozumel - T shirts - Gifts - Souvenirs

382891013v5_150x150_Front.jpg

Interesting group of products. I think you missed an obvious choice, however.Where is the facemask with this printed on it?:D Woody

I've been following this thread since my wife and I have tickets for our first trip to Cozumel in mid June.

This site was given a few pages back Diario de Quintana Roo - En duda, causa de muerte

Translated to English it still reads a bit rough, but the best I can tell there are currently 78 "Probable" cases of H1N1 in Quintana Roo and two deaths. We are still planning on our trip and I'm not trying to add fuel to the flames already in this thread. Like everyone else I hope this calms down very soon so the locals in the area can get back to work, and the tourists can go enjoy themselves.

The babelfish site is here: Yahoo! Babel Fish - Text Translation and Web Page Translation

Here is the Spanish to English translation courtesy of babelfish:
From the translated pages you can navigate by using the previous and following buttons at the bottom of the page.

Page 1:

Now they are the 78 registered probable cases in Quintana Roo

By second consecutive day more suspicious cases of influenza human in the Organization appeared. Now the 78 probable cases registered in Quintana Roo are and not yet it settles down if the unique registered death is related to the virus that maintains in alert to all the country.
In press conference, the state secretary of Health (Sesa), Juan Carlos Azueta Cardinal red, assured that until yesterday they had not received the confirmation or refusal on the part of the National Institute of Diagnosis and Referencia Epidemiológica (INDRE) around if the death were by human virus of influenza.
As it is known, in the State three cases of influenza have been confirmed type To, although two of them corresponded to influenza seasonal and the third party, that caused the death of a man of 64 years, has not determined if it is or of the human or pig type as it were known him until it does not make a pair of days.
It is necessary to indicate that Thursday in the evening had made sure that in the State 68 suspicious cases existed, although in the press conference it was indicated that the number increased to 78, of which 54 samples already were solved and yesterday enters they are of influenza seasonal both.
At the moment, 24 samples are in process and one of them is the one of now passed away, the same one that were outside expected certain or not as human case of influenza yesterday.
In, Azueta as much Cardinal red it assured that they maintain a sanitary wall around the relatives of now passed away, in order to establish if some of them presents/displays symptoms of the disease.
So far, one yesterday announced that Quintana Roo already counts on 30 corporal temperature sensors, which will be distributed in the three airports of the State, hospitable terminals of buses and centers to determine with greater speed when a person is with temperature superior to the 38 degrees, that is one of the symptoms of influenza.
In spite of the 10 new suspicious cases, the state secretary of Health commented that tranquillity in the State exists, since three of the 14 patients who until were committed yesterday were registered, although a similar number entered to the hospitable centers.
These new income happened in the General Hospital of Chetumal (2) and the General Hospital of Felipe Cheek Port.
Of the rest of the committed patients it stood out that they maintain clinical an improvement important and all are stable, under well-taken care of and in observation.

Page 2:

Preventive measures in Quintana Roo are propped up much more​
To date two deaths in Quintana Roo by the virus of influenza have been registered, although the results of the analyses will determine if they were as a result of human or the seasonal one, mentioned the Governor, Felix González Canto, during a meeting maintained with the industralists of the South in the audience of the Canaco-Servitur de Chetumal.
It said that the mentioned deceases were provoked in Cancún and in this city and the respective tests were sent to the Federal District for their study. “In the next days we will present which of the two was the cause”, it abounded.
He insisted that the Government of the State is struggling to give information precise to the society to avoid that the disinformation generates an uncertainty climate.
It mentioned like example that in last days, in the municipality of Solidarity, a person by a pulmonary complication passed away, “that person carried out four examinations to determine the causes to him, but to the day following the mass media published that it was four dead people. Things as these we are trying to avoid”, emphasized.
González Canto said that yesterday a person of 64 years with symptoms similar to those of the virus died in Cancún, but cannot confirm that it was as a result of it, until to confir itself to me.
In the evening of yesterday in press conference in Palace of Government, in the hall “Cradle the Mestization”, González Canto, reiterated that Quintana Roo counts on medecines sufficient to take care of the population in case of some emergencia, and that reinforced the preventive measures with the total closing of bars, bars, discotheques and cinemas in all the State.
Accompanied by municipal secretaries of the state cabinet, presidents, military administrations and legislative, González Canto it went deep on the decease in Cancún as a result of a pneumonia. “Still it is about to confirm itself if east suffering were by the virus influenza human. For this reason, the sample was sent to the City of Mexico for its analysis and the result will be had in next the 24 hours”, indicated.
The Governor of the State said, “meanwhile this case will be classified as a death related to the suspicion of a human case of influenza”.
It indicated that the protocolic measures have been taken to determine the contacts that this one person had, this, like preventive way in case was positive its analysis: “In Mexico there are signals that all the preventive measures that are had been applying, already are generating a result positive”, emphasized.
González Canto decreed before this contingency the closing of discotheques, bars, bars and cinemas, when representing a risk by means of the people agglomeration.
The Governor, in the same way, called to the enterprise sector and tourist to add itself to this contingency of health and, similarly he summoned, to maintain them the uses since the Government of the State will implement programs of support for those workers who do not have own entrance and depend, for example, of the gratuities like the meseros and another type of works.
Also, González Canto made extensive call to the enterprise and tourist sector to the calm, because this contingency could be lessen in the next days.
“It is important to stress that this virus and disease have cures and that in Quintana Roo, has sufficient medecines, antiviral the sufficient ones to be able to take care of some case that could be presented/displayed”, it mentioned.
It reiterated that the medicine available exists, sufficient and distributed in the different points from the State so that it can quickly arrive at the hospital or the clinic where some human case of influenza is reported and we pruned to treat it and to cure it of how we hoped to do it.
Felix González Canto, exhorted the population to stay in its homes, to ventilate its homes abriendo door and windows, since they are these some conditions to avoid a greater propagation of the virus of influenza human.
It commented that in all the structure of the Government of Quintana Roo and also of the municipalities the next Monday will be handled like unskillful day and also Tuesday; while personal of the sector health and Public Security, as well as other areas of Government will remain in their workings before this eventuality.
“We are exhorting the population to stay informed, to stay attempts to the average news, to stay pending of the information”, emphasized.
On the other hand, the state secretary of Health, Juan Carlos Azueta Cardinal red, aimed that at the moment the registry of 14 people like suspicious is had with the virus of influenza human, but not yet has been confirmed if the disease corresponds to this epidemic, for this reason, also have been sent the samples to the City of Mexico for its analysis and corroboración.
It commented that tests have been acquired to diagnose in a smaller time if treats or no, of the virus of influenza human; reason why it recommended the population that in case a person has the cough sufferings, problems to breathe and temperature arrives of the 38,5 degrees, must go of way immediate to the nearest hospital for his valuation.

Look what they are saying now.

U.S., Mexico Express Cautious Optimism on Flu Virus

After a week of alarming reports of a new strain of swine flu and the likelihood of a pandemic, Obama administration officials today said there are indications that the influenza will not prove to be as lethal as initially feared, and said there is no reason for healthy people to avoid traveling or to wear protective masks.

"We're seeing encouraging signs that this virus so far is not looking more severe than a strain that we would see in seasonal flu," said Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, on "Fox News Sunday."

washingtonpost.com

Look what they are saying now.

they have been saying that for a few days now. it started getting obvious that it was more like normal influenza when it started spreading in the US and the fatality rate and severity of symptoms was closer to the range of normal influenza...

These forums are fascinating. I'd forgotten how much so.

I had a client who crossed from the mainland to dive with us yesterday, Sunday May 3; and on the registration sheet noted he was taking Tamiflu, so I asked him. He said he was taking it prophylactically, prescribed by his doctor based on CDC recommendation. In effect he said that the risk of contamination is infinitesimal, lower than getting a winter flu or cold, but that better safe than sorry. Hmmm Sure, if you can get it; why not I guess.

I hear they are taking temperatures at the Cozumel airport; and wonder if that might not be a good idea permanently at airports around the world. Folks should probably not get on airplanes sick with a fever.

Will ours now become a whole new world?
Such as the world changed after 9/11?

Saludos from sunny Cozumel,
Bill

It's influenza, people. Of *course* it's contagious! H1N1 isn't any more (or less) contagious than other forms of influenza and there isn't really much of anything to set it apart from other strains in terms of pathogenicity or disease course.

I will bet you that if the original outbreak had been in Germany or Italy or Canada we would barely have heard of it, if at all. This came right on the heels of the "Mexico is going to kill us all" drug cartel scare so it rode the tail of that hysteria to new heights.

I'm a physician who has several patients die each year of influenza (I treat the elderly). My wife is a molecular biologist who used to work with African hemorrhagic fever virus genome research. Each of us has plenty of respect for what viruses can do. Neither of us has seen or heard anything to make us think we need to do anything differently. The N95 face mask my hospital put on my desk is more dangerous to use than not to use since it fogs up my glasses and I can't properly see what I'm doing.

Back
Top Bottom