The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The WHO based on DNA analysis says the flu is a combination of human, avian, and pig flu genes. It was an error to call it swine flu and pigs may not even been the source. But since when did rational science influence most people's actions...

It not only the location, but how one gets there (airplanes with concentrated air supply and people

This is precisely my concern. I don't worry about being at the resort, I worry about what the airplane is carying. But since I have to fly tomorrow to get home I'm already putting myself at risk.

I intend to use plenty of purell, and follow common sense procedures like wash often etc. what else can we do?

How about Egypt ordering all swine in the country to be slaughtered, talk about knee jerk (stress on "jerk") reaction...

Mike

Yeah know what..that is just an assinine statement.

While I am no "the sky is falling type"...I do work in risk management for a living.

And never eat the mixed nuts at the bar! Everyone knows that! They have pee on them!

Are you for Scuba? :)

Can't wait to book my trip to Cozumel for July! I figure by then this will have either blown over or we'll all have been exposed to it by then anyway.

A business made a business decision which I can gauran-damn-tee you is based on the "if we do not cancel and someone dies, how much are we going to get sued for" line of thinking.

It could also be a tipping point of passenger loads. If 1/2 a plane cancels there is no way to fill that last minute. Then youre flying an unprofitable route. Or you can cancel your flights there are keep the customers money and offer an alternate flight. Then you can get them on a profitable route.

Well, we've had to move our wedding to Punta Cana DR.:depressed: Even though it may have still been possible to have gotten down to Coz it was no longer an option.

People are not being reasonable, my best man was told if he goes to mexico he won't be allowed back at work for a week (he's a doctor). He wasn't the only one who was told that sort of thing.

So, instead of two weeks in Coz having my soon to be wife's dream wedding that she's been planning for a year, we get to plan in 3 days for a non-diving destination. Is it even worth bringing my gear down?:shakehead:

I think we'll head to Belize or somewhere for the second week to get some diving in I hope.

Yes, and again based on your own statement, this infection is more widespread in NYC and Texas than it is in the Yucatan or the island of Cozumel. Still, as of this morning, not one reported case in the entire state of Q. Roo.

Please read all of my post and keep my statements in context if you are going to pinpoint one thing I said. I NEVER said that we shouldn't be concerned and stay aware of the development of this issue. The bottom line of what I was saying is that your risks are no greater by traveling to CZM than they are traveling anywhere at this point.

I am fine with disagreement and healthy debate, we all have our opinions and thoughts on this...but please refrain from the personal insults.

+1000

Christy, somehow a lot of people seem to be under the impression that a virus is aware of borders. Rather than looking at this as "Mexico" is the epicenter, they need to realize that it's just Mexico City and not the entire country. Beyond that, there are a few other locations in Mexico, as there are also locations in the US and most of the rest of the world that have confirmed cases. AquaExplorer needs to stop and realize that even though yes it would be stupid to go to Mexico City right now, that doesn't mean traveling to other parts of Mexico far from there would be any more dangerous than traveling to most places in the US. That point has been made time ad again by you and several others, but it's fallen on deaf ears apparently.

+1000

Christy, somehow a lot of people seem to be under the impression that a virus is aware of borders. Rather than looking at this as "Mexico" is the epicenter, they need to realize that it's just Mexico City and not the entire country. Beyond that, there are a few other locations in Mexico, as there are also locations in the US and most of the rest of the world that have confirmed cases. AquaExplorer needs to stop and realize that even though yes it would be stupid to go to Mexico City right now, that doesn't mean traveling to other parts of Mexico far from there would be any more dangerous than traveling to most places in the US. That point has been made time ad again by you and several others, but it's fallen on deaf ears apparently.

Sorry man...and maybe it is me being jingoistic in my reaction, but I have more faith in our ability to control the spread of this than Mexico. Thus I cast a very jaundiced eye towards the Mexican government containing it better than we can.

So while certain other cities have infected individuals, all so far have come from Mexico with CONFIRMED cases coming from at least the Cancun airport area. So to borrow a phrase "that point has been made time ad again but it's fallen on deaf ears apparently."

Sorry man...and maybe it is me being jingoistic in my reaction, but I have more faith in our ability to control the spread of this than Mexico. Thus I cast a very jaundiced eye towards the Mexican government containing it better than we can.

So while certain other cities have infected individuals, all so far have come from Mexico with CONFIRMED cases coming from at least the Cancun airport area. So to borrow a phrase "that point has been made time ad again but it's fallen on deaf ears apparently."

Even though it might have come a little late, it sure as heck sounds to me like Mexico is doing a lot more than even the US to stop the spread now. I live in KC Mo. We have no confirmed cases, but we do have a couple that have been confirmed to have it a 150 miles from here. last time I looked at that little google map with the pins on it, there are none at all in Eastern Mexico. If this thing is still going on by the time I plan to go in July, I'll make a trip to my doctor's office first and see if I can pick up some tamiflu to go, just in case. I'm not dismissing this thing as a blown out of proportion, nothing of an issue. I'm just saying it's not common sense to worry about traveling somewhere that doesn't have any confirmed cases when we have two that are close to our home. I'm really guessing from the lack of cases in Cancun, that the people that caught it after traveling there were probably sitting in air plane seats that had previously been occupied by people from Mexico City or maybe they were sitting next to them on the plane or used the closet plane bathroom right before them.

It might not be a bad idea to wear a mask on the plane and use purell, but beyond that, spending time in Cozumel is safe until proven otherwise.

So, what is going on in Cozumel today? Are hotels and restaurants opened? Are any cruise ships in town? Do dive boats operate as usual?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom