The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friend who lives in Cozumel just told me all cruise ships are canceling Cozumel this week.

Royal Caribbean just announced today that they are rerouting all ships heading to Mexico. My mom will be on a cruise leaving May 16th that was supposed to stop in Cozumel and will now be stopping in Jamaica instead.

Upon reading through this thread, a few of the posts talked about how the businesses there are really starting to suffer due to all this. I suppose one possible bright side is maybe the locals won't be quite so nasty and have such a bad attitude about the "pod people" from cruise ships that I often see here on SB (and elsewhere). Guess we're not so annoying anymore... :idk:

I have a trip planned to Coz and I am not worried about my time in Coz BUT I have a 3 hour layover in the Atlanta airport- now THERE is where I might have some concern.

As long as Delta will fly me there I am going forward with my trip to COZ!

Jean

Hope this gets resolved quickly and doesn't impede my trip May 30th!

Yeah, seasonal flu kills thousands in the US every year. People debate the flu vaccine every fall, some saying they get sicker from the shot than the illness, or that they get flu from the shot, and other false science. The vaccine is a personal call for each, but rationalizing with false science is just dumb when they do that. In truth, some people react badly from the shot, some people with egg allergies really shouldn't get it, and the vaccines offered are no guarantees as they are aimed at best guess on which strains will hit, but overall it's generally the way to bet. Flu vaccines save untold numbers of lives every year, along with prevent illnesses and other losses in much larger numbers.

The fact that this flu hasn't killed anyone outside of Mexico other than a Mexican child who recently traveled with family into Texas, became ill while visiting in Texas (not brought over for treatment), and just died in Houston really means little. Leaders are still wondering why this flu seems milder in the US than in Mexico, but - it's just getting started. It could get a lot worse if actions were not taken to prevent it. This one is totally different.

From What Would a Flu Pandemic Look Like? - and we really hope we prevent this, but it could happen: A pandemic like the 1918 Spanish flu would sicken about 90 million people in the U.S., and about 10 million of them would need to be hospitalized, overwhelming the nation's hospitals. A full-scale pandemic could kill about 2 percent of those who were infected, or about 2 million Americans.

Excerpting from another article - emphasis mine...
The last major flu pandemic occurred in 1968. In comparison to SARS killing 700, more than 30,000 people died in the USA alone (in the 1968 flu). Globally, some 1 million succumbed to the disease, meaning probably more than 50 million were infected worldwide.

The preliminary numbers coming out of this particular virusÃÔ origin, Mexico, are not necessarily accurate. However, if it turns out the first data are accurate, big trouble is on the horizon. Mexico City health authorities say nearly 1,600 suspected cases have been reported, with more than 140 dead. That translates into a 7-plus-percent mortality rate. SARS carried about a 9-percent death rate. But more important, the mortality rate in the 1968-1969 flu pandemic was very low at less than 3 percent. That means that the death potential now in 2009 is at least twice as high as in 1968. Further, the ability of this current strain of flu to spread rapidly seems to be much greater than in previous contagions.

From Reuters: Ūt [virus] has been found in several places and among people who had no known contact [with infected persons]. This suggests there is an unseen chain of infection and that the virus has been spreading quietly. As of this writing, cases have been identified in as far-flung places as the USA, Scotland, New Zealand and Spain. Suspected cases are also reported in France, Norway, Germany, Sweden and Israel.

A week from now, as more information emerges and is confirmed, it may be that this turns out to be an isolated and short-lived concern, a minor footnote to the other ÅÄrisis of 2009.

But if not . . .

SARS had two unique qualities that aborted a pandemic. The disease was quickly debilitating. People who contracted the illness were forced to seek major medical help very soon after the virus bloomed. SARS was not quiet. Second, the mode of transmission was clear: airborne from infected person to the healthy.

Because of these two factors, the duration was short, about nine months. By contrast, the 1968 flu pandemic lasted more than one year.

This current strain of Mexican swine flu does not create dramatic symptoms at the beginning. Those who contract the virus suffer the mild effects of other more benign virusÍÔlight fever, cough, minor body aches. It is just these symptoms that make this virus so dangerous. By the time a person becomes very sick, he may have spent days in normal contact with coworkers, family members and strangers, spreading the disease easily. And the mode of transmission is not clear at this point.

For its ease of contagion and hidden symptoms, the World Health Organization has raised its Pandemic Alert level to 4 (out of 6) for the first time since this scale was revised in 2005. Level 5 means that we have a full-blown global epidemic. We will know by the end of next week what the rest of the year will be like.

If, and this is a big if, this turns serious, what is happening in Mexico is a foreshadow of what is to come. Mexico suspended all schools nationwide until May 6, affecting over 50 million students. Tourist travel is over until this situation is resolved, as the European Union has issued a strongly worded travel advisory for both Mexico and the USA. On the other side of Mexico, the resort town of Acapulco ordered all bars and nightclubs closed.

You can talk this down as much as you want to, but it's just talk. The limited facts available so far do not support a fizzle we all hope for. "By the time a person becomes very sick, he may have spent days in normal contact with coworkers, family members and strangers, spreading the disease easily." Clearly, the Ostrich approach is not a safe one.

Why is travel to the Yucatan being discouraged, and why have we not seen reports from there? Hard to say. How often are other problems there hidden from world view? We know it happens; we just don't know how much. One report I saw this morning suggest that Mexico is losing millions a day to lost tourism, and the Yucatan tourism sector was created just for that. 40 years ago there were only a three people living on Isla Cancun, until Mexico developed it to attract tourists - which worked well.

The other thing that gets me is the run on vacationers filing Rx's for Tamiflu. Yeah, that's it. Let's all get meds as security blankets and self medicate if we feel there is any chance we might have been infected with swine flu. How many people do you think will start pill popping when what they are really suffering from is standard traveler's gastro, too much sun & fun, basic over consuming of tequila and not enough water, etc. ? Will this misuse and abuse of antivirals lead us to some crazy, deadly, drug resilient strains? (we've done it with overuse of antibiotics where bacterial infections are concerned) Hello!?!?!?!?! Cozumel, Cancun and the Riviera Maya are not the outposts of civilization. There is decent medical care and multilingual doctors. Heck, I've had better experiences with doctors and emergency medical care over the last 20 yrs in the Yucatan then I've had at home in the US and Canada. People, if you are on vacation and think you may have swine flu, go to a doctor or hospital. Get evaluated and get meds prescribed if needed. Stop the insanity. No need to travel with a 10 day supply of Tamiflu and please, don't self medicate if you really do not have a clue of exactly when it's necessary and appropriate to do so.

Now, hold on a minute. I have plans to go to Cozumel Saturday for a 10 day stay. It's my risk assessment, just like it is every time I go diving, and at this point I have no plans to cancel. That said, I have two allotments of Taniflu (one for myself and one for my wife) packed, on the recommendation of my physician. He is not one to blindly prescribe antibiotics; as a matter of fact, he has refused to give them to me on several occasions when I thought that I needed them. He said that I should get the Taniflu, so I did. My sister, who is a health care professional, and two of her colleagues will be on this trip with me, and they are all carrying Taniflu as well.

My nightmare scenario is that I get infected with this virus while I am down there and separated from the cocoon of medical care that I normally live in, and won't be able to get back. If that were to happen, am I sure to get access to medications that could save my life, or at least make my experience less unpleasant? I don't know. How likely is this to happen? Not very, IMO, or else I wouldn't be going at all. But that doesn't mean that I will be so cavalier as to say that it's all hype and hysteria and there's no reason to take precautions. It's great that there aren't any cases in Q. Roo, but do I know for a fact that there won't be in the next two weeks? No, of course not.

There is no evidence that I am aware of to show that taking Taniflu, even when it is unnecessary, can contribute to the development of more deadly flu strains. Beyond that, I have had the flu and I know what it feels like; I won't be running for the Taniflu if I get a hangover. But even if I did, it wouldn't hurt anything. My 81 year old mom and her 85 year old husband, who are also going on this trip, may be taking Taniflu prophylactically. It's all risk management.

Again, what these numbers mean is that flu is already highly virulent and can be very deadly in those without healthy or fully formed immune systems.

And in the highly likely case this flu just turns into a few bad flu seasons we can easily see a 2x uptick in flu deaths -- which would be an excess of 500,000 dead worldwide. We'll be able to absorb that without most of the population being directly affected or worldwide GDP being affected, and mostly it will kill older folks and take a few years off their lives, but it will kill a substantial number of kids (like the mexican kid who is the US first fatality today).

In that case it wouldn't require changing travel plans. However, the information that _first_ came out of mexico was that the fatality rate was >1% and was killing 25-45 year old people. That information may be wrong, or the virus may have already antigentically shifted to be less lethal, or for some reason it may not be able to be as virulent as normal flu, but that raises the possibility of another 1918-like event -- and that would kill >67,000,000 worldwide (2-3x the whole AIDS crisis in a year or two).

If you want to keep the whole thing in perspective, you have to keep that in perspective. We know from history that there's some chance -- admittedly low, but maybe a 1% chance -- that this thing kills tens of millions or more. So far the information this week on its mortality rate in the cases in the US is starting to sound like this isn't going to happen, but the medical experts are worried about this one for a very good reason.

Something else to put this in perspective - yesterday from CNN:
Regular flu has killed thousands since January - CNN.com

* Since January, more than 13,000 people have died of complications from seasonal flu, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's weekly report on the causes of death in the nation.

* No fewer than 800 flu-related deaths were reported in any week between January 1 and April 18, the most recent week for which figures were available.

* The report looks at deaths in the 122 largest cities in the United States.

* Worldwide, the annual death toll from the flu is estimated to be between 250,000 and 500,000.

The latest H1N1 stats from BBC News show 87 confirmed cases worldwide and 159 suspected deaths (7 confirmed) in Mexico: news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8021547.stm

My brother lives in TX and knows what the symtoms of flu are. We all should! Thousands die of the flu every year for one reason or another in the states.

Yes, and again based on your own statement, this infection is more widespread in NYC and Texas than it is in the Yucatan or the island of Cozumel. Still, as of this morning, not one reported case in the entire state of Q. Roo.

The couple in the UK who were confirmed to have the virus came back from vacation in Cancun.

So, there's at least the NYC students and the UK couple who acquired it from travelling to Cancun. Maybe it isn't Q. Roo itself but it was some other passenger who travelled through the airport and the virus isn't there, now, but clearly the Cancun airport is a risk factor and there could be another traveller from Mexico City going through there at the same time you are as well.

OTOH, looking at the total traffic through the Cancun airport and it looks like a couple people picked up the virus, so the odds are still not good that you'd get sick travelling to Cancun. Still its your own risk assessment, and by the time you're scheduled to leave from Cancun there could be a lot more cases there and a lot more likely to get sick when flying out... The odds could shift quickly...

Royal Caribbean just announced today that they are rerouting all ships heading to Mexico. My mom will be on a cruise leaving May 16th that was supposed to stop in Cozumel and will now be stopping in Jamaica instead.

Upon reading through this thread, a few of the posts talked about how the businesses there are really starting to suffer due to all this. I suppose one possible bright side is maybe the locals won't be quite so nasty and have such a bad attitude about the "pod people" from cruise ships that I often see here on SB (and elsewhere). Guess we're not so annoying anymore... :idk:

I think you are confusing some posters on Scubaboard and other forums with the local people of Cozumel. Many here have made disparaging remarks about the cruise ship people of the "Pod People" as some call them. I do not think local business feels the same way. It is not fair that you are including the local business in your negative post. The economy of the island is tourist based. Cruise ships are part of that. Cruise ships canceling the Mexican ports will have a negative effect on the locals and their economy

And then there is the idiotic...!

Several countries have banned import of pork from the US & Mexico, even tho there is no chance of acquiring the illness from eating pork products.

And now Egypt is slaughtering all pigs even though no cases have been reported there, and people are not catching it from pigs nearly as much as from each other. The country only has 300,000 pigs to needlessly kill, I suppose because of the Muslim influence there, but still a stupid waste - and I kinda doubt that the farmers will be fairly reimbursed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom