The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<snip>

We each need to do our own risk evaluations and look at the totality of circumstances. While it is true that the WHO said that containment, as a whole, is now impractical, that does NOT mean that your chances lessen the farther from the center one gets.<snip>
So by your logic, you can now get the swine flu anywhere. I believe this sentiment is what was behind Christi's statement.

So by your logic, you can now get the swine flu anywhere. I believe this sentiment is what was behind Christi's statement.

Actually my statement came out wrong.

What I was trying to imply was that by distancing one's self from the epicenter one DOES decrease one's chances.

Sorry if it came out wrong.

What the WHO said is that there is no more "center".

That is silly and you know it. While there may no longer be an impervious boundary...to say that a concentration point (i.e. center) does not exist is stupid. It is, it is called Mexico City.

While their may now be chances to get the flu from those that left, they are few and scattered, thus you do have a decreased risk by not going to the areas where infections are more widespread.

That is simple logic.

That is silly and you know it. While there may no longer be an impervious boundary...to say that a concentration point (i.e. center) does not exist is stupid. It is, it is called Mexico City.

While their may now be chances to get the flu from those that left, they are few and scattered, thus you do have a decreased risk by not going to the areas where infections are more widespread.

That is simple logic.

I'm going to agree with your logic and start packing to go to Cozumel where it's safe. See you Saturday, Christi!!!

That is simple logic.

Yes, and again based on your own statement, this infection is more widespread in NYC and Texas than it is in the Yucatan or the island of Cozumel. Still, as of this morning, not one reported case in the entire state of Q. Roo.

Please read all of my post and keep my statements in context if you are going to pinpoint one thing I said. I NEVER said that we shouldn't be concerned and stay aware of the development of this issue. The bottom line of what I was saying is that your risks are no greater by traveling to CZM than they are traveling anywhere at this point.

I am fine with disagreement and healthy debate, we all have our opinions and thoughts on this...but please refrain from the personal insults.

I'm going to agree with your logic and start packing to go to Cozumel where it's safe. See you Saturday, Christi!!!

Looking forward to meeting you! I'll be in touch later with final details :)

Something else to put this in perspective - yesterday from CNN:
Regular flu has killed thousands since January - CNN.com

* Since January, more than 13,000 people have died of complications from seasonal flu, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's weekly report on the causes of death in the nation.

* No fewer than 800 flu-related deaths were reported in any week between January 1 and April 18, the most recent week for which figures were available.

* The report looks at deaths in the 122 largest cities in the United States.

* Worldwide, the annual death toll from the flu is estimated to be between 250,000 and 500,000.

The latest H1N1 stats from BBC News show 87 confirmed cases worldwide and 159 suspected deaths (7 confirmed) in Mexico: news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8021547.stm

I am fine with disagreement and healthy debate, we all have our opinions and thoughts on this...but please refrain from the personal insults.

Personal insults? Honestly...other than say "this is silly" which is not an insult, what have I said that is insulting?

BTW...I NEVER said do not go to Cozumel, or Cancun, or anywhere on the Peninsula. What I was merely trying to add to the discussion, and trying to give a differing viewpoint, was the statements that basically stated "there is no outbreak here yet, so come on down, the water is fine", when indeed it may not be.

It not only the location, but how one gets there (airplanes with concentrated air supply and people), and the ability to respond to an outbreak, and the fact that if it does get worse, notice I said IF, one could be locked out of the country the U.S. locks the border.

Again....that does not mean people should cancel, but when making the decision to go or not, all of these issues should be considered and a personal risk tolerance decision should be made.

I believe that is far more valuable, and correct, than someone flippantly saying "I'm going to agree with your logic and start packing to go to Cozumel where it's safe." :boxing::d

Again....that does not mean people should cancel, but when making the decision to go or not, all of these issues should be considered and a personal risk tolerance decision should be made.

Ok, then we actually agree on this :)

It' each person's decision, I just want people to weigh and examine ALL of the facts and make decisions based on facts vs. hysteria and media claims.

I'll give you all a perfect example of the knee jerk reactions and sensational tactics of the media - this is what my father told me:

This morning on the 5:00am news - local Houston news reported that there was now a confirmed death from the swine flu in Houston - a baby. That was it, no other details were known at the time of that story.

Later in the morning, the same local news station reported "more details" on the death. It was a baby that had been brought to Houston from Mexico City specifically for treatment - unfortunately, it was too late.

Good Morning America got the lead on the story and reported (AFTER the updated local Houston story) ONLY that there was a confirmed death of a baby in Houston, implying that the virus had spread to Houston.

While all of this is factual, they left out key details of the baby being brought here, straight to the medical center specifically for treatment only to sensationalize the story!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom