The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the latest health advisory. This is just for your consideration, not advice, either way. Incidently, there are some threads in the Coz section on this topic, what is open, what is closed, etc.

Travel Health Warning
Travel Warning: H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu) and Severe Cases of Respiratory Illness in Mexico Avoid Nonessential Travel to Mexico
This information is current as of today, May 03, 2009 at 11:39 EDT
Updated: April 30, 2009

Revised to link to updated antiviral recommendations for travelers

Current Situation
As of April 28, 2009, the Government of Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of H1N1 flu (swine flu), including seven deaths. Investigation is continuing to clarify the spread and severity of the disease in Mexico. The World Health Organization (WHO), the Global Alert and Response Network (GOARN), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have sent experts to Mexico to work with health authorities. CDC has confirmed that seven of 14 respiratory specimens sent to CDC by the Mexican National Influenza Center are positive for influenza A (H1N1) and are similar to the swine influenza viruses recently identified in the United States.

On April 25, the WHO Director-General declared this event a Public Health Emergency of International Concern under the rules of the International Health Regulations. CDC and state public and animal health authorities are currently investigating the outbreak in the United States. Click here to see todayÃÔ case count. Some of the U.S. cases have been linked to travel to Mexico. CDC is concerned that continued travel by U.S. travelers to Mexico presents a serious risk for their health and the health of others during travel and after they return to the United States.

CDC Recommendations
At this time, CDC recommends that U.S. travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico. Changes to this recommendation will be posted at Travelers' Health | CDC. Please check this site frequently for updates.

I am planning on diving in Cozumel May 5 and wanted to get the most recent information on what's different in San Miguel. What's open and what's closed? Any changes you noticed, some that might even be an improvement, associated with the cruise ships being gone. Things like that. This will help us get excited about our trip other than just the negative stuff we hear.

Miguel, here is some up to date info you might find helpful. Please get the latest facts before you post.

Travel Health Warning
Travel Warning: H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu) and Severe Cases of Respiratory Illness in Mexico Avoid Nonessential Travel to Mexico
This information is current as of today, May 03, 2009 at 11:39 EDT
Updated: April 30, 2009

Revised to link to updated antiviral recommendations for travelers

Current Situation
As of April 28, 2009, the Government of Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of H1N1 flu (swine flu), including seven deaths. Investigation is continuing to clarify the spread and severity of the disease in Mexico. The World Health Organization (WHO), the Global Alert and Response Network (GOARN), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have sent experts to Mexico to work with health authorities. CDC has confirmed that seven of 14 respiratory specimens sent to CDC by the Mexican National Influenza Center are positive for influenza A (H1N1) and are similar to the swine influenza viruses recently identified in the United States.

On April 25, the WHO Director-General declared this event a Public Health Emergency of International Concern under the rules of the International Health Regulations. CDC and state public and animal health authorities are currently investigating the outbreak in the United States. Click here to see todayÃÔ case count. Some of the U.S. cases have been linked to travel to Mexico. CDC is concerned that continued travel by U.S. travelers to Mexico presents a serious risk for their health and the health of others during travel and after they return to the United States.

CDC Recommendations
At this time, CDC recommends that U.S. travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico. Changes to this recommendation will be posted at Travelers' Health | CDC. Please check this site frequently for updates.

Side Note = To be fair, I fully realize that Cancun and Coz are not exactly the information centers of the World and that you guys are a little removed from the "Information highway". I also wanted to add that all of us that advise extra caution and that take this flu thing more seriously, realize none of you mean any harm to anyone. We just think that some of your financial consideration might be clouding your better judgement.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE PLEASE DO NOT ADRESS ME OR MY NAME, HERE IS THE LATEST INFORMATION AND BY THE WAY THE CDC ON MANY DESITIONS DEPEND ON THE OFFICIAL INFORMATION FOR THE WORLD: WORLD HEALTH ORG BY THE UN
TODAY'S MAY 3RD WORLD HEALTH ORG REPORT FOR EVERYONE:

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 11
3 May 2009 -- As of 0600 GMT, 3 May 2009, 17 countries have officially reported 787 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

Mexico has reported 506 confirmed human cases of infection, including 19 deaths. The higher number of cases from Mexico in the past 48 hours reflects ongoing testing of previously collected specimens. The United States Government has reported 160 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (70), China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (1), Costa Rica (1), Denmark (1), France (2), Germany (6), Ireland (1), Israel (3), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (4), Republic of Korea (1), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (15).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.Canada on 2 May reported the identification of the A(H1N1) virus in a swine herd in Alberta. It is highly probable that the pigs were exposed to the virus from a Canadian farm worker recently returned from Mexico, who had exhibited flu-like symptoms and had contact with the pigs. There is no indication of virus adaptation through transfer from human to pigs at this time.

There is no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products.

Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

Related links
Influenza A(H1N1) web site

Last edited:
Oh NO! The news just keeps getting worse!

As the "pandemic" DandyDon likes to call it starts to fade, it just means we're one step closer to the killer phase DandyDon warned us about!! Out of the frying pan and into the fire, damn.

Shoot, we'll probably look back at this past week as the good ol' days. :mooner:

I propose we start a whole new thread entitled "Mexico will kill us all" That will give Don and PilotFish a blank slate to work with and divers won't have to waste time wading through all of the old posts in this thread of people saying they were being hysterical.

Pilot Fish, Divepro is right....again. I read this very WHO update last night and would have thought you would have seen it too. But I guess it doesn't really support your position so you quoted old information from the CDC (April 30). Man, that has to suck for you.

3 May 2009 -- As of 0600 GMT
WHO | Influenza A(H1N1) - update 11

QUOTED BY PILOT FISH Side Note = To be fair, I fully realize that Cancun and Coz are not exactly the information centers of the World and that you guys are a little removed from the "Information highway". I also wanted to add that all of us that advise extra caution and that take this flu thing more seriously, realize none of you mean any harm to anyone. We just think that some of your financial consideration might be clouding your better judgement

HERE YOU GO AGAIN ASSUMING, WE ARE WELL AWARE, WE GET ALL TV INTERNATIONAL CHANNELS FAST SPEED INTERNET AND SOME OF US HAVE FAMILY MEMBERS IN TOP FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HEALTH POSITIONS PLUS WE HAVE MANY MANY DIVER FRIENDS ALL OVER THE WORLD SPECIALLY THE USA WE HAVE A TOLL FREE LINE AND WE CALL, THE SHOP I WORK FOR OWNERS ARE FROM TEXAS AND WE KEEP INFO COMING IN... WE ARE NOT CAVE MEN (ONLY FOR CAVE DIVING) AND FINANCIAL SITUATION DID NOT CLOUD OUR POSITION WHEN HURRICANES HAVE COME, WHEN WE HAVE TOLD PEOPLE THAT WANTED TO COME NOT TO DO IT SO THINK WHAT YOU WILL, YOU HAVE I AM SURE ANOTHER AGENDA OF SOME TYPE AND FROM NOW ON NOTHING YOU SAY WILL AFFECT ME, WE LIKE I SAID WENT OUT YESTERDAY WENT OUT TODAY, ARE GOING OUT TOMORROW, THEN THERE IS A CONVENTION THAT WE ARE TAKING CARE OF SOME 12 DIVERS AND THINGS ARE LOW BUT NORMAL HERE SO I REALLY COULD CARE LESS OF EVERYTHING YOU POST BECAUSE YOU TWIST THINGS, YOU TALK ABOUT LATEST INFO, AND TO ME THE THIRD WORLD COUNTRY IGNORANT (I WAS EDUCATED IN THE UNIVERSITY OF MN, A POSTGRADE IN MARKETING) I TAKE VERY SERIOUSLY WHAT I POST AND I POSTED THE LATEST REPORT FROM THE UNITED NATIONS WORLDS HEALTH ORGANIZATION I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE CDC BASES DESITIONS ON WHO.....SO ANYWAY AGAIN DONT COME TO MY COUNTRY AND BY THE WAY YESTERDAY 8 RUSSIANS WERE KILLED BY A GAS EXPLOTION, THERE IS A LOT OF GAS IN CANCUN SO YOU MAY CONSIDER NEVER COMING HERE, THERE IS NOTHING FOR YOU TO DO, ONLY DIVING, POST WHAT YOU WANT BUT THERE ARE A LOT MORE POSITIVE COMMENTS ABOUT THIS THAN YOU LITTLE POST WAR THAT ON MY END IS DONE RIGHT NOW, I WISH YOU WELL, I DO NOT THINK YOU MEAN ANY HARM, ON THE OTHER HAND I THINK YOU ARE TRYING TO HELP IN YOUR OWN SPECIAL WAY, GO BACK AND READ YOUR POSTS SAYING THAT YOU BASE INFO ON WHO AND WHO SAYS NO RESTRICTION TO TRAVEL......ANYWAY HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY AND DON'T GO OUT, REGULAR FLU, DIAHRREA, ALCOHOL RELATED DEATHS, MOSQUITOES, WARS, AND NOW LACK OF INFO ARE KILLING PEOPLE DAYLY AND MORE THAN THIS VIRUS.....STOP ADDRESSING ME PLEASE WE ARE DONE, I WISH YOU WELL

PLEASE STOP THE EPIDEMIC OF USE OF ALL CAPS AND huge colored letters IN THIS THREAD.

Oh damn, i'm INFECTED.

oh no! The news just keeps getting worse!

As the "pandemic" dandydon likes to call it starts to fade, it just means we're one step closer to the killer phase dandydon warned us about!! Out of the frying pan and into the fire, damn.

Shoot, we'll probably look back at this past week as the good ol' days. :mooner:

I propose we start a whole new thread entitled "mexico will kill us all" that will give don and pilotfish a blank slate to work with and divers won't have to waste time wading through all of the old posts in this thread of people saying they were being hysterical.

hola jay, dandydon is providing info from diver to divers at least, pilot fish is not even a certified diver......anyway thanks and again i do not provide but who information and the real thing happening here, if it were bad i would be asking people to stay away, and even to lend some help here....but everyone can post what they want.:d

I don't understand what you mean. Are you being sarcastic?

I did not take it as being sarcastic, ...Go & enjoy---another poster gave you all the info you need ie some things shut down, the essentials (grocery stores) open...wife & I got back 1 week ago today, best trip ever(6 in last 2.5 years) to date....of course we stayed @ Villa Aldora & dove with them---how can anything be but great with their setup...:D

..enjoy.....

THIS IS THE LATEST REPORT FROM THE UNITED NATIONS WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION THAT ARE THE TOP OF THE LINE AND OFFICIAL INFORMACION THE CDC CENTER DEPENDS ON WHO'S DESITION:
IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS HERE IS THE WORLD'S HEALTH ORGANIZATION WEBSITEhttp: //www.who.int/en/

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 12
3 May 2009 -- As of 1600 GMT, 3 May 2009, 18 countries have officially reported 898 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

Mexico has reported 506 confirmed human cases of infection, including 19 deaths. The higher number of cases from Mexico in the past 48 hours reflects ongoing testing of previously collected specimens. The United States Government has reported 226 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (85), China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (1), Costa Rica (1), Denmark (1), France (2), Germany (8), Ireland (1), Israel (3), Italy (1), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (4), Republic of Korea (1), Spain (40), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (15).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders.It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

Canada on 2 May reported the identification of the A(H1N1) virus in a swine herd in Alberta. It is highly probable that the pigs were exposed to the virus from a Canadian farm worker recently returned from Mexico, who had exhibited flu-like symptoms and had contact with the pigs. There is no indication of virus adaptation through transfer from human to pigs at this time.

There is no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products.

Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

Related links
Influenza A(H1N1) web site
Daily updates will be posted on this site.

PLEASE STOP THE EPIDEMIC OF USE OF ALL CAPS AND huge colored letters IN THIS THREAD.

Oh damn, i'm INFECTED.

That's what you get for playing with fire-(this whole thread, in my opinion:no:) Fer chrissake, let's all just step back aways from all this and see how it plays out over the next week or so. I think we will have a better picture of the whole thing soon, if we can just avoid killing each other over this before then. Seriously- chill, people!:coolingoff:

Back
Top Bottom