The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Continental is now waiving some rebooking fees for certain flights to Mexico that were booked for travel between April 24th and May 6th. No way to know yet if they plan to extend the deadline past May 6th.

I'm booked on Continental for Jun 4th... hopefully if this doesn't all blow over by then they'll extend it...

I'm booked on Continental for Jun 4th... hopefully if this doesn't all blow over by then they'll extend it...
I'm booked for May 20th to Coz. Right now I'm not sure what to do... I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

In the end its just money (and to be honest this particular airfare was pretty cheap at the time I bought it). I'm most worried about all the people with this flu. :( I hope this doesn't spread to the peninsula. But even if it doesn't, today's advice from the US state dept and CDC against non-essential travel to Mexico is going hit that area very hard financially.

This sucks!!! And not because it may interfere with my trip in 2 months but for the locals who's income is largely based on tourism and the people who's lives have and may be affected by this nasty thing. All the best wishes for this thing to be eradicated and things get back to normal asap.

I agree i hope it blows over by June 20th, becasue I'm going to cozumel, as of now, for my dive trip....

Friend who lives in Cozumel just told me all cruise ships are canceling Cozumel this week.

I heard the same rumor, but not so, according to USA Today as of 11 this morning:

Cruise lines: No plans to cancel calls in Mexico due to swine flu - Cruise Log - USATODAY.com

I hope she wrong (she hopes she is wrong) but that is what the buzz is on the island. I spoke with her at about 3pm. She works in the tourist biz so the cruise ships canceling have some impact on her livelihood. It looks like some airlines are offering to reschedule flights for the next week without a fee.
In NYC a school was closed because some students had the flu. They had just come back from spring break in Cancun (according to the NY Post anyway)and infected others. Lets hope this gets under control quickly

From today's announcement by the World Health Organization -

"Given the widespread presence of the virus, the Director-General considered that containment of the outbreak is not feasible. The current focus should be on mitigation measures.

The Director-General recommended not to close borders and not to restrict international travel. It was considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention."

The reason, cited again by another spokesman, was that travel restrictions would have almost no effect on containing the disease.

POLITICO 44: The Obama Presidency. Minute by Minute

should be all over the news by the end of the day.
He sorta had to say that, didn't he?
I'll just add that a doctor from the CDC in Mexico City said on CNN last night that most (possibly all) the victims who died were already into severe pneumonia when they entered the hospital, and if they had sought medical attention earlier in the cycle of the disease their prognosis would likely have been better.
Thanks. I hadn't seen that, but kinda thot so.
If it's not, their record indicates that they are great about such. Even if not, you can cancel and use all but $150 on another ticket, but they generally allow such without fees, like for hurricanes.
Friend who lives in Cozumel just told me all cruise ships are canceling Cozumel this week.
Could be make that permanent?
I heard the same rumor, but not so, according to USA Today as of 11 this morning:

Cruise lines: No plans to cancel calls in Mexico due to swine flu - Cruise Log - USATODAY.com
Short dream. :(

I just booked two tickets to Coz. I wish I was going in May or June as I really need to redeem myself for my screw-ups last month, but my home bud wants to go in August - and I am a much better diver with him anyway.

I'm leaving for the peninsula via CUN this Saturday. So far, Canada has not issued a travel advisory warning so I'm planning on going. If things do worsen in the next few days, I bought a $73 insurance policy this afternoon that will cover my expenses to date. I considered getting a regular flu shot today but was told it will be useless against the swine flu. Thousands of people die annually from the flu, 4,000 alone in Canada, so I'm trying not to overreact to the current situation. Good luck to those that are there currently...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom