The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

didn't we have the bird flu scare a few years back?

Avian influenza has been communicable only from birds to humans and has not mutated to spread from humans-to-humans. There's multiple different mutations that would need to occur to that virus to make it survive in the human throat and make human-to-human transmission possible. This virus already spreads from human-to-human.

When looking at virulence, there's already more cases of this swine flu than avian influenza in the past 7 years, and looks to surpass the numer of cases of SARS very shortly if it hasn't already (already there are more cases of swine flu in nyc than there were cases of SARS in the USA total).

Clearly this is easily more virulent than either SARS or bird flu.

On the Richter scale, if 1918 is a magnitude 9.2, and avian influenza is a 2.0 while SARS is a 3.0, this is at least >= magnitude 4.5 or so and has been climbing up that scale rapidly.

Just picked up the sanitizer, never thought about the maid as a potential carrier but could be since they get around a bit, maybe I'll bring some spray Lysol for fixtures, etc. Nobody seconded the tequila idea - darn.....

I'll second that motion....

If you are nice to me, I'll show you where to find the good tequila. Flying down Friday. Have masks for the plane already.

Rich

If you are nice to me, I'll show you where to find the good tequila. Flying down Friday. Have masks for the plane already.

Rich

I'm flying down Thursday and, yes, I'll be sporting a mask on the plane as well. How about you let me in on that good tequila?

Wow the Chritsy love-Yes she said go to the doctor. Read post 3. Read her post, she said you dont die after being treated. She then edited it. That was the irresponsible statement, read all posts before looking foolish. It was good she changed it. Now leave it alone. She was trying to quell a fear. Nothing wrong with that if it's correct information.
It would be better to have real info placed here so that the hysteria could be lessened. Speculation breeds fear and doctor classed advice placed by non doctors is foolish. This also leads to fear. A real doctor put her 2cents worth here and it quieted the fear. Leave alone until the experts say what is up. Giving red necked advice like,' aint nuthin wrong here,' also breads fear. We have a problem and it may blow over. My flu I just went through lasted 3 days. I sit in my basement right now finally able to breathe right. So this one coming out of Mexico may not be all that bad. In Canada where it has been reported, the flu seems to be weaker. Who knows it could be a different virus. But all the victims have one common denominator-Mexico. Would I travel to Cozumel, right now YES!!!!

I feel now I must explain my post. since the original poster (Christy) was making the overall point that if you feel ill go to the doctor and inadvertantly misspoke saying if you go to the doctor you won't die, we all know that is not a 100% correct or true as an absolute but the message was, take respiratory illness seriously. to complete that thought, if you take her advice and seek medical help, what happens after that will not be affected by a scuba shop owners words. I was telling her I understood the meaning and spirit of her post as I see logically no irresponsibility in her statement at all, maybe inaccurate statiscally but not irresposible. that was my only point sir, so please refrain from name calling, insults and telling this member what and when I can post. your aggressive manner towards me is unwelcome, and will not be tolerated. take a more respectful tone while addressing me in the future or don't address me.

thank you,

diver88:cool2:

I feel now I must explain my post. since the original poster (Christy) was making the overall point that if you feel ill go to the doctor and inadvertantly misspoke saying if you go to the doctor you won't die, we all know that is not a 100% correct or true as an absolute but the message was, take respiratory illness seriously.

I'll just add that a doctor from the CDC in Mexico City said on CNN last night that most (possibly all) the victims who died were already into severe pneumonia when they entered the hospital, and if they had sought medical attention earlier in the cycle of the disease their prognosis would likely have been better.

Rich

By my count there's going to be more than a dozen SBers in Coz this weekend - we ought to hook up somewhere on Sat night or Sunday (in the plaza?). I don't know the good places yet (Hey Gordon!) but we should kick this off right. As a public service for those who will follow us to Mexico as the situation develops, I would also volunteer to participate in an informal experiment to determine if tequila is prophylactic for Swine Flu. Any other takers? Report to follow when I return, if I can remember. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom