The string inside the hose is for?...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarponchik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
Does anyone know what is the string that goes through my Mares BC corrugated hose for?

I was going to replace the original inflator with this one but found the string inside. Looks like the other end of the string is connected to the valve on the shoulder. But what is it for and what shall I do with it?

Thanks.

Its a pull dump...pull down on the hose, and the valve opens in the shoulder letting air out of the BCD.
More convenient than swinging the end of the hose up and pushing the purge button to deflate the BDC.

Includes mouth guard and pin for a pull-to-dump cable
Capture.JPG

^ The pin where the string goes. It's captured by the inflator hose.

You might have to shorten/lengthen the string accordingly so it works properly without stressing the pull dump mounting on the shoulder.

It should be a cable also afaik. At least they are on Zeagle products.

Last edited:
Its a pull dump...pull down on the hose, and the valve opens in the shoulder letting air out of the BCD.
More convenient than swinging the end of the hose up and pushing the purge button to deflate the BDC.
You sure? I have valve like this on my other shoulder and I am using it all the time. I never use the hose purge button except for draining the water out of the BCD after the dive.

I thought that was an emergency dump designed to empty faster than the inflator can fill.

For normal conditions I use the extra shoulder or butt dumps.

View attachment 374312

^ The pin where the string goes. It's captured by the inflator hose.

You might have to shorten/lengthen the string accordingly so it works properly without stressing the pull dump mounting on the shoulder.

It should be a cable also afaik. At least they are on Zeagle products.
Right! Thank you both.

You sure? I have valve like this on my other shoulder and I am using it all the time. I never use the hose purge button except for draining the water out of the BCD after the dive.

Its up to you...either one works.
The one in the inflator hose shoulder can be pulled down without reaching across the chest to the other side, or up. Just grab the inflator hose end and pull down. Less arm swinging.

But at the end of the day, its another option. Use the one that works best for you and the current situation.

:)

I avoid suggesting to pull on the LPI hose to dump at the shoulder; I've seen too many BC problems with worn.ripped fabric at the shoulder where the dump is attached. People pull really hard, hoping that will mean more air gets out faster, I guess. All it takes is a small pull...try it when dry and you can see how little effort it really takes.

Its up to you...either one works.
The one in the inflator hose shoulder can be pulled down without reaching across the chest to the other side, or up. Just grab the inflator hose end and pull down. Less arm swinging.

But at the end of the day, its another option. Use the one that works best for you and the current situation.

:)
So if I never use it can I just cut the cord?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom