BCD epoxied fitting replacement for air filler hose connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The2ndBest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone!

I recently had the connection fitting on my Sherwood Silhouette fail (the epoxied threaded fitting that the air hose connects to). I was told by multiple dive shops that this part is not replaceable (Sherwood will not sell you a replacement) and that you have to get a new BCD when this part fails. Rather than do that, I made my own replacement part which is a through-wall style rather than glued, and seems to work well so far. Here is a link to a video explaining the details and a demonstration for reference:
I spoke with a few folks since then and it sounds like many/possibly most? BCD manufacturers use the same size fitting for the air filler hose and dump valve. Do any of you know offhand? If a lot of them are the same do you think anyone would be interested in this replacement part as a solution to this problem?

Attachments

• BCD pic 3.jpg
    BCD pic 3.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 37
  • BCD pic 4.jpg
    BCD pic 4.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 41
  • BCD pic 2.jpg
    BCD pic 2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 38
  • BCD pic 1.jpg
    BCD pic 1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 40
Excellent work I am sure others would be very interested. Sounds like a good reason to stay away from products from that manufacturer if they will not support their product.

Well done! It is things like lack of parts availability that make me want to get my own 3D printer and make replacement parts for people at cost.

3D printers are great and easy to use. Creating the STL for a part like that above takes a lot of skill.

3D printers are great and easy to use. Creating the STL for a part like that above takes a lot of skill.
I have a bit of practice

I would imagine it does. There are also issues with the printed materials in terms of durability/flexibility/fragility/etc.. If you keep on top of that and replace when needed before a problem occurs, it seems like a good way to go. What keeps me out of it is space and time. I have too much to do as it is, but I would love to do so and help other people replace parts where retail channels have high overhead. It would be nice to outsource print on demand services so that companies don't have to have inventory costs of parts waiting for someone to order. When the price of a part is 1/4 or more of buying new, people may not bother and contribute to the landfill as a result.

Several thoughts on this thread.
I've been repairing BCDs with broken flanges already for 4 years and I have repaired more that 350 BCDs of different brands and models without any complain, not only for end divers, but also for dive schools, Fire fighters, police departments and some other security institutions.
For this I 3D print flanges. With the correct design, the correct material and the correct printing procedure I could achieve the required service level.

The original flange seems not to have the required durability and dependability.

No BCD manufacturer sell any spare for that part. Even old Scubapro BCDs, that used the same method to attach the flange, sell no spares.
This is al old SP flange with valve (similar solution for the power inflator) :
IMG_2205.JPG

The general rule is that the manufacturer will recommend to dispose the BCD and buy a new one, even without any discount.

In modern BCDs, flanges are RF welded. No glue, no epoxi. Cordura is hard to glue to anything.

Replacement flanges must be fixed mechanically and sealed. The one that the OP did is one example, ScubaFix (Scuba-Fix – scuba solutions made easy) is another, though this last one seems to be mold injected instead of 3d printed.
Sealing can be done with o-rings like the one used by the OP, but the original wing welded to the bladder should be perfect, which is not normaly the case.
Many times I had to remove the rest of the wing that is welded to the bladder by pieces, so an o-ring will not fit nor seal. Some times the cordura of the bladder is torn around the hole.

The following point to address is the size of the wing of the new flange. If it's small enough to be able to enter by the bladder hole, you risk for a leak. If it's wide enough to embrace the old wing and get a good mechanical anchorage, it would be hard to impossible to introduce by the hole in the cordura, so a solution has to be find. I've found what I think is the best solution.

Replacement flanges can be done by three methods (at least what I understand) :
- a plastic block lathed
- mold injected
- 3D printed
Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages.
1) Plastic block lathed
The size should be big enough to avoid deformations during machining. Complex forms are hard to get. Resistance is not an issue. Precision could be a problem. I've replaced lots of this type of flanges because it leaked or the valve or inflator was too loose.
2) Mold injected
A big amount of pieces should be injected to be price competitive. The mold is too expensive to build. Adjustments after the mold is done are also too expensive. Resistance and precision are not issues. A mold for each brand and model is required. A huge investment for a small business.
3) 3D printed
FDM 3D prints are anisotropic, so stresses in the Z-axis direction do not hold up well. Using the right material, with the right design and printed in the right way, that problem can be overcome. Accuracy must be adjusted with each printer. Complex forms are not a problem. Customization is not a problem.

Of course, a new BCD is better, but it's expensive, it's not good for your wallet and for the environment. and, of course, in the next years to come it will also break in the flanges, before you think is time to be changed.
Throwing away a BCD that is pristine, buy has one flange broken seem to be a crime.

The last question is "Will you trust in a repaired BCD ?"
Well, knowing what's going on with the original flanges I could argue "will you trust in a BCD not yet repaired, knowing that flanges break so much ? It seems that original flanges are not designed to last.

And a final point. It is said that scuba gear is "life support equipment". I think that a well trained diver should have the tools to survive even with a brutal gear malfunction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom