The Sharks of Palm Beach County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... would be OK if no food was in the water and no feeding had recently taken place.

These next 8 weeks are Shark Mating season in Jupiter and West Palm. It's not just lemons, but nurses, bulls, dusky, and all sharks. Heck look at DumpsterDiver's rare Sawfish video and then don't forget the WhaleShark on Bill Walker's charter photographed by Dennis Whitestone 10 days ago.

THIS IS SHARK MATING SEASON !! Feeding has nothing to do with it, we just have thousands of sharks in the waters right now and it's the BEST photo op time of the year. Even without bait they are going to approach you this time of year and that has nothing to do with feeding, they are just checking out everything when it's mating season.

What is aggressive to one photographer is a slow motion, one in a lifetime close up burst of shutter shots for another photographer. Just like the Goliaths in September, grab this chance while they are here before they leave. Those Magazine Cover Quality shots by Mscott are incredible captures that any photographer would love to take.

Here are the pics from dives 2 & 3 on the 23rd.

15483240694_95cf4972c3.jpg 16103648571_ff8f0e936a.jpg
16103648461_cc82a10f2c.jpg 15919810657_83847ae11d.jpg

The great thing about shark diving w/Emerald is that you can get up close and personal...
15485871363_96f5fb01ba.jpg

...or you can sit on top of the wreck if you don't want to be in the middle of the action.
15485871163_8dc5ca0245.jpg

THIS IS SHARK MATING SEASON !! Feeding has nothing to do with it, we just have thousands of sharks in the waters right now and it's the BEST photo op time of the year. Even without bait they are going to approach you this time of year and that has nothing to do with feeding, they are just checking out everything when it's mating season.

Just make sure to let them down easy if they get confused. :wink:

Dec. 27, 2014 - Lemon Drop 3

attachment.php

This is an AWESOME perspective. Looking up, dive model, great background blue, and the surface mirror. If it was me in the pict holding my speargun, I'd be ordering a 36 inch metal print from you !!

Interesting - is it just me, or does the tiger at 13:50 have a slight kink at the tip of it's tail? I've been thinking for a while that it might be a good idea to put together a "mugshot gallery" of individual sharks, particularly the tigers. I'd be interested to know how frequently they're turning up and who's sticking around versus occasional visitors. From what I've heard, Jenny has pretty much been the only tiger turning up at the Bonaire on a regular basis.

Dont have any shots as it was very rough yesterday (4-6') on the JDC 3-tanker so I left the camera on the boat, but the count was 5 lemons and 8 nurses free-swimming in the open at area 29, 2 reefies and 2 nurses at Mikes, and 10 reefies at tunnels (the donut). Also a total of 5 hawksbill and 4 loggerheads, plus a herd of 10 goliaths at tunnels.

Great day for big animals, and the lemons indeed are beginning to show. Vis was 100+ on first dive and even 60 at tunnels on the low tide. Great diving when you were not on the boat!

Kudos to capt Mike for handling the boat very well in rough seas to make entries and exits surprisingly manageable.

Interesting - is it just me, or does the tiger at 13:50 have a slight kink at the tip of it's tail?
Yea, I noticed that too.

This is an AWESOME perspective. Looking up, dive model, great background blue, and the surface mirror. If it was me in the pict holding my speargun, I'd be ordering a 36 inch metal print from you !!
Thanks! I could probably photoshop your head into the picture :wink:

Jan. 3, 2015 - Deep Ledge
Bull - 4
Nurse - 1

Lemon Drop
Lemon - 5
Nurse - 1

Rough seas but awesome conditions below.
15576665973_e45ffb6471.jpg 16195672582_116685a099.jpg
16009005808_b337b45cdd.jpg 16010400389_25c640363b.jpg

Went out New Year's Day on the Emerald - as Randy got mugged on the deep ledge the day before, we did all three of our dives with the lemons on the reef. Not sure of the site, but it was probably Lemon Drop 3.

Of course my photos aren't pro-grade, but we had some good action - 10-15 lemons and a nurse shark. Most of the lemons were males, but there was at least one female in the group. All three times they followed us up to the surface; on the second dive this got real funny because the Emerald was off picking up some lobster divers and was out of sight. Should have called the boat on my Lifeline; would have made great ad material for Nautilus.

"One at a time, one at a time!"

P1010669.jpg

This green moray seemed to think we were all ****ing crazy.

P1010696.jpg

This poor fellow has something sticking out of his right side, not sure what.

P1010723.jpg

Because my hatred for invasive lionfish shows no restraint, I shot five out of the hole we were feeding in. The first one was a runt that I killed before the sharks turned up; not wanting to have bait onna stick I crushed its head on the ledge and cast it off into the current. At the end of the first dive I saw one of the biggest lionfish I'd ever encountered; skewered it, clipped the spines, and actually got it back to the boat. I think the lemons were considerably more interested in people's strobes. The third lionfish was just as big as the second (and looked like it had some scars to boot); saw it at the start of the second dive. Skewered it, clipped the spines, broke my EMT shears trying to snap its spine (I really need to get a new BFK), and then saw the lemons were lining up in front of Cameron so I shoved the fish and the spear under the ledge. Well, within 30 seconds one nosed under there and swam off with the lionfish and the spear. Swam after it and found the spear maybe 100 feet away. Got a fourth, midsize lionfish at the end of that dive and started up with it; in midwater it came off my spear and Cameron was trying to wave lemons over to it. A few made close passes on it, but none even tried to get a bite in until I skewered it again (I was afraid the little jerk would get all the way back to the bottom) and put it right in front of a lemon.

P1010697.jpg

The fifth I encountered at the start of the third dive; put him up away from me while I was turning my mask-mounted GoPro on and another lemon took him off the spear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom